Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

'04 F4i rear blinker issue???

'04 F4i rear blinker issue???

this might be very simple, as most people say "RELAY!!!" but im not sure yet.

last week, i was finally about ready to take my first ride. bike starts and runs great with a new battery. but as im gearing up and doing lighting checks, i notice that the right rear signal is on solid.

i tested the switch, and when in rt turn, blinks normally. when in lt turn, the left blinks normally, but the right stays on while the left blinks.

also, i have front led flush-mounts that are barely noticeable on either side, in either turn direction. those have always worked fine, and operate as running lights, until you select a direction, they are supposed to (and always have) pulsed very brightly. can anybody help me out? thanks to all in advance. -Ty

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What?

Re: '04 F4i rear blinker issue???

bad ground.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.337 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Short to ground on 1 of the two wires going to that signal or in the signal itself (bulb maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.337 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Short to ground on 1 of the two wires going to that signal or in the signal itself (bulb maybe).
    ok, sorry i forgot that part. the other day i swapped the bulb with the one in the left shooting from the hip, and that never worked. i'll look for a short to ground though. thanks.

What?

Banned

If I am correct you should have 12V to ground on both wires when signal is off. When signal is on, the relay picks and drops one to ground to create 12v across the bulb. One wire constantly to ground will create a dim solid light when signal is off and a bright flashing light (but never completely off) when signal is on.

Banned

One side of the relay sticking will do the same thing. Did you drain you battery recently? That can cause circuits to draw too much current and damage relays.

Another thing is, if you have the front directionals wired incorrectly that will cause the rears to illuminate. Had a very similar issue with my 929 and discovered I reversed two of the wires.

yeah, the battery was pretty much shot. and the front ones couldn't have been wired wrong. i had my dad, (an electrical engineer) help me, and they've worked fine for 2 years. and he even mentioned about the relay having possibly "welded" itself to one side. sounds like i'll have to throw a meter across the relay and see what happens. thanks for all the help guys.

What?

so as an update, i should mention that the rt turn indicator up front is on all the time as well. sorry i missed that detail before. (even when the left blinks properly, the right stays on solid, the indicator included).

What?

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

check the blinker fluid

Quote Originally Posted by WordTooYoMamma View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt: Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50433; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

check the blinker fluid
    oh shit! can't believe i never thought of that! i'll go get right on that! (sorry, but no.) i fix f-16's for a living, so although nice try, and humorous, you can't kid a kidder. anybody know where i can find a bucket of prop wash?

Last edited by F4Iguy; 04-12-10 at 09:46 AM.
    What?

UPDATE: as strange as this may seem, and after running in circles around the bike more times than i can count, it seems its not a rear blinker issue at all. I made a tiny discovery tonight, i.e. it appears there's a tiny component on the front right flush mount circuit board that has, well, exploded. sad news is, it's $99.99 for a new set of these:
    http://www.hightechspeed.com/product...ghts/index.asp
    we'll see what customer service has to say. thanks to all who posted for the assistance in troubleshooting (or humor). -Ty

What?

See, I knew there was a reason i've held back from getting those Protrons...

Quote Originally Posted by slammp View Post
    See, I knew there was a reason i've held back from getting those Protrons...
    can't really agree with that though, as they worked great for two years and i've been nothing but impressed. customer service agreed to send me a replacement. i just gotta send them the bad one first. and with electrical components like the tiny one that burnt, sometimes they ARE weak, and do fry too early. take a standard light bulb, for example. they are rated for X amount of hours. BUT, if you get oils and what-not on them from your hands, they tend to burn out quicker, as the oils create hotspots. there are so many variables, i can't have just one bad part and say i'll never try them again. however, if it happens twice....

What?

Protons have been very reliable from what I understand. Good to see that they're backing their product, even 2 yrs after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    Protons have been very reliable from what I understand. Good to see that they're backing their product, even 2 yrs after the fact.
    and on top of that, i didn't even buy them. the guy i bought the bike from did, and just never had a chance to wire them up. so he gave them to me. and i told that to the company. they said they understand i have no date or proof of purchase, just fill out the RMA form and they'll send me another one. just like that. honesty pays so i don't have to.

What?