Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

06 GSX-R 1000 shifting issue - air temp related?

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar
    Its been said, but shift fork and the associated assembly. My race bike (ex500) had a very similar issue, a spring had come off the fork (not sure what it's called, not the actual shift fork but a forked part that actuates the shift fork). Once we opened the side cover it was pretty apparent. I'll be surprised if this is oil or temp related.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 06 GSX-R 1000 shifting issue - air temp related?

So at bike night last night, everyone was saying that their bikes start shifting like garbage when their oil starts getting dirty..

So tonight I changed my oil and did nothing else. Granted, it's 10 degrees warmer now than when I was riding Sunday, but the bikes shifts much better now. It's a much lighter touch to shift now, and no issue at high RPM at all.

So.. looks like it just needed an oil change. Don't I feel silly. I had never heard of that before but according to the guys at bike night, it's really common.

Thanks guys, and maybe this will help someone else.

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Tolddddd ya.
    :

yup, when my shifting starts to be difficult i change my oil, speaking of which i need to order some amsoil soon

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-Ray View Post
    Tolddddd ya.
    :
    Well if anyone would know it'd be you. haha

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Run the regular SUZUKI 10-40 oil, NO sythetic or Car oil........and do a few flushes and you will be good... also, are you sure you adj the slipper clutch properly also...

Yeah, that's what I have in it and had in it last time (I checked).

When I changed the tension washer in the clutch assembly, people said to adjust the slipper but I didn't like their method ("you should have 2 threads showing"...). If it's adjusted improperly it will either slip too much or not enough. I compared the thickness of the new and old washer, and they were so close that I decided to see how the bike would act leaving the adjustment alone. No noticeable difference so I left it alone.

I was just flipping through the service manual a couple of days ago looking at lube points, and found an actual procedure for adjusting the slipper clutch. I took note of it but it acts properly. Everyone else loosened their adjustment up after washer swap, but mine seems to slip appropriately when downshifting.

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Quote Originally Posted by korndogg View Post
    Yeah, that's what I have in it and had in it last time (I checked).

When I changed the tension washer in the clutch assembly, people said to adjust the slipper but I didn't like their method ("you should have 2 threads showing"...). If it's adjusted improperly it will either slip too much or not enough. I compared the thickness of the new and old washer, and they were so close that I decided to see how the bike would act leaving the adjustment alone. No noticeable difference so I left it alone.

I was just flipping through the service manual a couple of days ago looking at lube points, and found an actual procedure for adjusting the slipper clutch. I took note of it but it acts properly. Everyone else loosened their adjustment up after washer swap, but mine seems to slip appropriately when downshifting.

You won't ever feel it on a down shift, its when the rear wheel want's to lock up and instead the clutch slips and the tire doesnt lock up but still rolls...and that Mod along with the Holes in the basket is marginal at best. I have 2 GSXR 1k's 05 and 06 and neither have it done... Just sayin

if you ever rode a non slipper clutch gsxr esp my 01 they would rear wheel chatter like a MF all the way into the turn...thats the diff

Last edited by Pigman; 11-10-11 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    You won't ever feel it on a down shift, its when the rear wheel want's to lock up and instead the clutch slips and the tire doesnt lock up but still rolls...and that Mod along with the Holes in the basket is marginal at best. I have 2 GSXR 1k's 05 and 06 and neither have it done... Just sayin

if you ever rode a non slipper clutch gsxr esp my 01 they would rear wheel chatter like a MF all the way into the turn...thats the diff
    I had an '01 600 and hard downshifts into 1st the rear would bounce/slide, so yes I know what a non-slipper feels like. That's what I meant by downshifts.

I didn't do the holes in the basket.. just the revised washer from suzuki. Why would suzuki release a revised washer if it did nothing? It made an enormous difference on my bike. Before the revised washer, the clutch was very on/off with some chatter. After the mod, the clutch has a wider engagement range and it is much smoother. Best mod to my bike by far, and all of about $12.

Maybe you should try the mod on one of the bikes? Not being a wise ass.. Honestly the best improvement I've made to my bike.

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Quote Originally Posted by korndogg View Post
    I had an '01 600 and hard downshifts into 1st the rear would bounce/slide, so yes I know what a non-slipper feels like. That's what I meant by downshifts.

I didn't do the holes in the basket.. just the revised washer from suzuki. Why would suzuki release a revised washer if it did nothing? It made an enormous difference on my bike. Before the revised washer, the clutch was very on/off with some chatter. After the mod, the clutch has a wider engagement range and it is much smoother. Best mod to my bike by far, and all of about $12.

Maybe you should try the mod on one of the bikes? Not being a wise ass.. Honestly the best improvement I've made to my bike.

I have no issues at all.........no pun taken its all good. that bike have the frame brace done???

Last edited by Pigman; 11-10-11 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    I have no issues at all.........no pun taken its all good. that bike have the frame brace done???
    it has.... its my old 06 that you saw.

Frame brace? You're not talking about the recall, are you?

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Yup

Oh. Weird. Ray said it hadn't been done..

Ray, the "frame recall" that you said I should have done.. Suzuki will inspect your frame and if it's not cracked they glue/bolt a brace on. So that's been done already?

I looked at it when I had the fairings off and couldn't decide if it had been done or not. Didn't have an example to look at.

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Its visible and under the front neck of the Bike...along the frame. Mine doesn't have it

Did some of the bikes come with the frame brace? Mine looked like it had it, but it was welded on... not glued/bolted... So I wasn't sure..

Does the frame recall not apply if it came (welded) with it?

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Nope they were a dealer recall item.....its really not a big deal if it hasn't snapped in half yet you should be good

Ok. Yeah, I thought that even when the frame broke, they would give you one with the brace already glued on. So still not sure if mine has it or not.
    I've been planning on checking my VIN with the dealer this winter and if it needs to be done, they can do it while there's snow on the ground.

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12