Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

07 ZX6R running very hot - Where do I go from here?

Re: 07 ZX6R running very hot - Where do I go from here?

The only two things left are the actual thermostat sensor that tells you the digital read out and the water pump. If the water pump was bad, you bike would over heat and die. If it was the sensor, I would assume the read out would fluctuate all over the place.

Two things that could have happened...
    1. There are air bubbles in the system: Bleed it by warming it up with the radiator cap off. Lightly squeeze the radiator hoses to loosen any bubbles while the bike is cool too.
    2. The radiator is clogged: Might have been caused by hard water heating and cooling and depositing minerals in the system.

Thats all I got for you...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

what if i'm having this same exact problem, ONLY mine after it gets up past 214. * when my fan kicks on, it then starts to dump coolant from the overflow. but after it dumps that first time, the fan will cool it down and its circulating in the radiator and the radiator is full of coolant. but it looks like it drains the bladder completely, and after it cools down the radiator slowly goes back down into i have no freakin clue.... it doesnt go into the bladder tho, and it doesnt dump out of course after it cools down. i also know in the manual it says the fan is supposed to kick on at 212, but it wont kick on until it hits 214. would this be a small indication of something causing it to over heat just enough to create the over flow? or should i not be worried also and just keep adding in radiator fluid ? btw it was up in the 70's here so not hot, and we was riding it around 2am which it would be prob 60's during that time and as soon as i stopped in a parking lot, it had already got up to 214 and puked. but it seems like after it does that initial puke, then it cools and runs good. doesn't puke anymore and thats with having radiator fluid in it.

Lifer

212 v 214 doesn't sound significant.

I also have a very difficult time understanding exactly what is going on by your description. You need to be a little more specific, and a little more structured.

If your bike has a coolant overflow tank, then it is supposed to "overflow" in to that tank when the radiator cap opens at certain pressure level. It will fill the overflow tank with some coolant, and then 'suck' that coolant back in as it cools.

Last edited by aldend123; 09-14-12 at 01:14 PM.
    nedirtriders.com

okay, well ... rode it today, it read around 160-170 and was still spitting radiator fluid out.. i pulled into the gas station and my right leg was covered. and it was spitting more out when i stopped.. and although it read that til i pulled in.. it still spit out. and when i stopped it read up to 225. im honestly stumped on this, but we are swapping out the thermostat ( which is a pain in the ass.. complete pain!! ) and the radiator. hopefully it will be fixed. other than changing those out. the only other things i can think of that would be causing my issues is cracked head gasket or head.. but it doesnt smoke white or anything, back of the exhaust is black.. no white deposits on it or anything like that. so i haven't really thought that it could be those, but what else would be putting that much pressure in it, causing it to over flow randomly

Lifer

Is it possible you just have a bad radiator cap? If it is the pressure relief valve kind, it might just be bad.

Edit: Where is it "spitting" out from?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by aldend123; 09-15-12 at 10:11 AM.
    nedirtriders.com

new to fourms but i also have a 2007 kawasaki ninja zx6r with heating problems when i stop at a light or just sitting there running even with fan on still runs hot reaching high temp and over flowing coolant
    i have changed the thermostat have had the fan wired to a switch so even when the fan is on it still runs hot please help!!!! any help or solutions ???

the temp rises fast at a stop light jumping over 200 mark then jumps around untill it hits 244 then it just blinks HI i need to know what to do.........

Last edited by EASTCOAST_NC; 09-23-12 at 03:53 PM.

Well do a coolant FLUSH, not just a refill. Make sure you burped the system (got all the air bubbles out, that was my problem), Then check the thermostat (like you did)...
    The only other thing I would think could heat it up that fast may be a head gasket leak. The super heated gases from the combustion chamber are blowing by the seal and heating the coolant fast. Check the coolant for oil residue or discoloration. Otherwise, maybe you radiator is clogged? Did you put anything into the cooling system that may clog it? Hard well water, additives?

Other random things that cause a bike to over heat...
    1. Stunting it
    2. Running lean makes the bike run hot
    3. Reving the piss out of it at a stop light to show off?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123