Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

'08 CBR cuts out while running, won't restart for a while: fuel injection?

'08 CBR cuts out while running, won't restart for a while: fuel injection?

I'm having the first problem I've had with a 2008 CBR 1000RR. Any thoughts or suggestions? This is what I think is relevant:

1. At all times I have had plenty of fuel, the battery seemingly has had ample charge, there have no overheating signals that I'm aware of, and I haven't seen any error codes on the dash.

2. Three times in the last two months the bike's engine has stopped running while I'm am riding along at 40-60 mph. Engine just cuts out. I pull over to the side of the road.

3. Each time I have been unable to restart the bike immediately. While on the side of the road, I notice that when I turn the key off and then on, the dashlights do their start-up sequence but the pre-start sound I associate with the fuel-injection system does not occur. The bike turns over and over but never starts.

4. The first two times it happened, I waited a while, 10-20 minutes, turned the key on again, heard the fuel injection sound, and the bike fired up right away.

5. Today, when the bike cut out, I waited 20-30 minutes, turned the key on, did not hear the fuel injection sound, and the bike would not start. However, when I returned 20 minutes later (so approx. 50 minutes after the bike died) with car and trailer, I turned the key on, heard the fuel-injection sound, and the bike fired up immediately.

Thus, there has been a perfect correlation between me hearing the fuel-injection sound and the bike starting. But that data has not stopped me from be stranded on the side of the road. Anyone have an intuition of what is going on and what I can do to solve this?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by dhawks; 09-03-12 at 05:07 PM.
    /s/ Dustin
    LRRS #767
    '09 R6 / '11 848 Evo / '99 RS250

Re: '08 CBR cuts out while running, won't restart for a while: fuel injection?

I know that bike had cam position sensor problems but that typically causes a loss of power, not the bike cutting out altogether.

did you check the wires to the fuel pump?

Re: '08 CBR cuts out while running, won't restart for a while: fuel injection?

pump not priming?

first two places I'd look is fuel pump and TOS.