Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

08 SV650 Cross Country Prep

08 SV650 Cross Country Prep

Taking my SV650 on a 2 month trip from Boston to LA with lots of stops in between starting in mid august. Bike currently only has 5,000 miles and is really meant as my track day bike, but seeing as how my only other bike is a gas guzzling Monster S4r I've decided to take the SV. Is it worth getting the valves checked before such a long trip? Service manual says every 2 years or 14,500 miles. If so does anyone have a good mechanic in the Boston area who is reliable, quick, and affordable, really do not want to have to go to GBM.

Also if anyone has a spare rear 44t sprocket, and or a throttle rocker they are willing to part with please let me know.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 08 SV650 Cross Country Prep

5K miles on an 08 SV? I wouldn't bother checking the valves. Maybe after the ride. I would just do an oil change and inspect everything. Chain, tires, brake pads. Put a torque wrench on all the engine case cover bolts, body work bolts, subframe bolts, etc. Make sure the battery is in good condition, Bike should have no issues doing 3-5k more trouble free miles. Tire wear is your biggest hassle. Plan for a tire change at some point along the way.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

What Paul said. Pack some chain oil and keep the chain well lubed.

Well lubed AND adjusted properly for the added weight on the back of the bike (luggage). So often I've seen people adjust the chain, then load the bike up, and it gets too tight.

In other news, I replaced the badly chewed front sprocket on my Wee immediately after taking it to Savannah and back. Lol.

If you can manage it, put on a set of Pilot Road 4's. They will get you there and back without needing a change and they stick amazingly well, even in the pouring rain.

I'd recommend against a throttle rocker. Still gotta keep your hand on the bar.

I LOVE this thing for long distance. Used it on my 9 day trip and couldn't of been happier. Only takes a few minutes to get used to it.

http://a.co/27scVXh

For the sprocket, just go up one or two teeth on the front sprocket. Cheaper/easier than replacing the rear.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

For a 'strom I would absoloutely recommend +1 on the front sprocket. Best change I ever made to that bike, better than the suspension or seat or..
    For an SV I dunno. I presume +2 may even be called for.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Def. Going to the 16 on the front of the Wee made a HUGE difference. Cheap too!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

xxaarraa

First off, congratulations, sounds like a great trip coming up! Second, you have an S4R and you are worrying about putting your track SV back on the road?! That makes absolutely no sense to me. The S4R is a hundred times better bike in general, particular for a trip like this. And if you can afford to take 2 months off to do something like this, I imagine the marginal gas savings isn't relevant to you anyway.

Trips like this are once in a lifetime deals. I'd be very sorry if I had an S4R and instead took an SV on this journey.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    For a 'strom I would absoloutely recommend +1 on the front sprocket. Best change I ever made to that bike, better than the suspension or seat or..
    For an SV I dunno. I presume +2 may even be called for.
    I went up 1 to 16 on my SV, my next chain & sprocket change, I fine tuned it by going up 1 on the rear as well, 16/46 put me at ideal rpm 3rd gear for 80% of my riding, it was also tall enuf that I didn't hunt for that elusive 7th gear on the highway

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    First off, congratulations, sounds like a great trip coming up! Second, you have an S4R and you are worrying about putting your track SV back on the road?! That makes absolutely no sense to me. The S4R is a hundred times better bike in general, particular for a trip like this. And if you can afford to take 2 months off to do something like this, I imagine the marginal gas savings isn't relevant to you anyway.

Trips like this are once in a lifetime deals. I'd be very sorry if I had an S4R and instead took an SV on this journey.

Getting there would be great hence taking the SV...

Just kidding.. Have a great trip. Top off the windshield wiper fluid and hit the road. The SV will be fine.

Some sort of wind protection would be worthwhile.

Believe the GSXR front sprocket is 16. The factory part has a rubber damper on it and is much quieter than the aftermarket sprockets.

Somewhere I have a bin of SV and DL parts, I'll look for them and donate to the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Believe the GSXR front sprocket is 16. The factory part has a rubber damper on it and is much quieter than the aftermarket sprockets.
    yes, that is what I used to run

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Another thread reminded me: the horn.

Pick up a Stiebel Nautilus and replace the shitty tiny quiet meep-meep horn with something that will announce you are in that blind spot someone is about to turn into with authority.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post

Appreciate all the advice! I have thought long and hard about what bike to take, and truthfully i am still undecided. The fuel issue isn't really about cost, but more about the number of stops for fueling (Doing a lot of national parks and land art out west.) Also I have never had an issue with the Ducati, it's reliable, but the SV even more so. Its not a race bike by any means just has penske and racetech suspension, vortex rearsets, and the gearing has been played with. The SV will save me on tires. Either bike will work. Ashwin sending a text now, to pick up that clutch tool today if possible, and talk about long trips some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Some sort of wind protection would be worthwhile.

Somewhere I have a bin of SV and DL parts, I'll look for them and donate to the cause.
    Thank you!

Something to consider is some extra fuel storage. DrySpec has some nice little bottles and holders.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Something to consider is some extra fuel storage. DrySpec has some nice little bottles and holders.
    Did some looking after I saw this and the DrySpec part is a bottle holder to secure any generic 30 oz. bottle of fuel to your bike.

DrySpec Motorcycle Tool Tube Kit | TwistedThrottle.com

The link above shows the MSR bottle that Twisted sells but if you look around there are many makers of the fuel bottles MSR just happens to be one. I'll likely be hitting up Dick's Sporting Goods to see what they have for fuel bottles as I may be in need of them next week

Having done some long distance touring on my SV, I can say my 2 most important mods/accessories were #1 Heated Grips, I can't count the number of times I was caught with saturated gloves, that at least my hands were warm and wet rather than cold and wet
    #2 Scottoiler, chain maintenance became a non issue, no remembering to squirt it with lube every tank of gas

bring extra oil if yer gonna drone for hours on end @ 75-80 mph on a highway, SVs are known for oil consumption under those circumstance, check and top off at every fuel stop, consumption can be minimized by keeping the level as close to the high mark as possible, let it get down to the low mark, before ya know it, none is showing in the sight glass at all, and even though the idiot light hasn't come on yet, it's taking 2 full quarts to see the level again....... yet you can flog it in the twisties all day and never consume a drop of oil

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesalt13 View Post
    Its not a race bike by any means just has penske and racetech suspension, vortex rearsets, and the gearing has been played with.
    I have some mods like that on my street SV; stiff springs, emulators, penske, rearsets. Everything is basically set up for racing at NHMS... and it sucks on the street. Handles great, but shit ride. Would not climb on that thing to run cross country. Love to show it off.. just not ride it that far.

I have similar mods on mine, just no rearsets, and it is a peach on the street. Def not a slab-bike compared to a VStrom, but the ride is improved all around compared to stock.

Of course, mine could be sprung/dampened a little more softly than a track only bike, so keep that in mind.

Put the stock rearsets back on for the ride.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Did some looking after I saw this and the DrySpec part is a bottle holder to secure any generic 30 oz. bottle of fuel to your bike.

DrySpec Motorcycle Tool Tube Kit | TwistedThrottle.com

The link above shows the MSR bottle that Twisted sells but if you look around there are many makers of the fuel bottles MSR just happens to be one. I'll likely be hitting up Dick's Sporting Goods to see what they have for fuel bottles as I may be in need of them next week
    Agri Supply and probably others sell a document tube for $5.50 plus shipping. I believe they are $15 at a John Deere dealer. I buy 3 at once and always find uses.

They hold any of the liter fuel bottles.

Manual Canister, Tool Tube, Document Holder, Manual Tube

Last edited by Garandman; 06-27-17 at 05:05 PM.

Coming from somebody who put 3600 miles on my SV in a matter of 6 days I can't believe nobody else said this yet..

SEAT SEAT SEAT. Get your seat redone with foam/gel at a local store or buy a legit seat. It was the WORST part of the whole trip and gave me serious injury. I'm 5'8" and have the Naked SV, been riding them for years before the big trip. Never have I had it this bad. Was starting to bother me by Jersey and was killing me by Florida. At Jacksonville I was doubting making it to Titusville, yet I managed after all.

Secondly, you cannot ever have enough storage especially for a big trip like that. You'll need full rain gear and as others have said some warm gear. It can get very cold in some areas at night/during rain. Especially in midwest.

With some lessons learned I rode the bike to Myrtle Beach and learned some more after I crashed after falling asleep while riding. The road turned, I didn't.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!