Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

1985 ZX 900 Ninja

1985 ZX 900 Ninja

I picked up myself a old ZX 9! My dad had it originally from new, sold it in 94 to a relative who rode it a handful of times before just parking it in 95 and never moving it again. Hopefully I can salvage this thing back to something. Anyone here have any opinions or advie on this bike specifically or just a rehab of 15 years of sitting?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 1985 ZX 900 Ninja

We have a parts bike at the shop...if you need anything let me know haha.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Ohh the pictures are coming. Ill probably swing by my buddies today and get the battery out of it so I can go get me a new one! And snap some pictures, And speaking of a donor bike, OEM directionals? Got them left?

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

If it's got 60,000 or more miles, start saving up for new intake valves.

When you adjust the valves, make sure each valve in a pair has the exact same lash as its partner, otherwoise you put funky loads on the forked rocker and make the paerkerized surface of the cam develop cracks and pitting.

The cam chain tenbsioner on those is a know weak spot. You can replace it with a more modern version or open it up and add pre-load to the coils spring within.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrf41999 View Post
    Ohh the pictures are coming. Ill probably swing by my buddies today and get the battery out of it so I can go get me a new one! And snap some pictures, And speaking of a donor bike, OEM directionals? Got them left?
    I will check when I go in on Monday. And this is the battery that you want. Y12N14-3A FITS: ZX900A Ninja 84-86, TYPE: Yuasa conventional $43.95

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

xcellent and it has 24926 for mileage.

Tank off airfilters off, little honda polish to see the paint. Its still pretty, well for a antique.no fasteners broke at least. And engine cranked over at least. So not seized. Took some pics, ill post them when home eventually.

Cleaned out tank, put new fuel in, and it started. Carbs defintly need to be cleaned. Butit did fire, so a start at least.

Well it is mid july and I am finally getting healthy enough after a major illness to start tinkering with the bike. Tank still got some major corrosion issues. But got the carbs all taken apart and cleaned, ran well when not hooked to oem fuel tank. So I know still getting to much gunk thu that. I am going to start again fresh with cleaning this week.

andrew

Thats great . I like those bikes & to own it after your dad is cool .

Well after 2 useless years of it sitting in mu buddy garage, between work and family I never could get to it. I finanlly moved into a place with a garage. So I just brought it home this week. I am going to start back from scracth on this project. I will start updating everyone as I go. It should be easier to make some progress done since it is just down stairs.I used to have to pick up after I started since it was in someone elses garage. So this should be greeat.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Good luck. I imagine the battery is shot again, and it'll probably need a carb cleaning. That should get it running, then you'll have to see what else it needs. I'd go through it carefully using the maintenance chart. It'll need new brake and clutch fluid, new fork oil, swing arm and steering head bearings lubed, uni-trak lubed (easy). If it has pod air filters, look for a used airbox and get it back to stock, the airbox is superior. That said, the boots between the carbs and the airbox can be a real bitch to install, but I have a great trick for getting them in place. Lemme know if you get to that point.

Lifer

I picked one of these up as my first bike this summer. Has an old K/N pod filter kit on it. I've found they are a bitch to install. I think it's partly a design problem with them, but also because the rubber has stiffened. Any tips on getting them back on and staying there? If I tighten them "too much", they slide right off. But if I tighten them "just right", they'll fall off without much effort.

Also, from what I can see, there aren't too many aftermarket parts available for it outside of Japan. Are there any good aftermarket parts sources you guys know of?

nedirtriders.com