Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

2002 Suzuki TL 1000R Headlight issue

2002 Suzuki TL 1000R Headlight issue

I am writing in on behalf of my son and his 2002 TL 1000R which has 30k on the clock. We have had a few issues that we have addressed as in the starter button.....taking it apart and sanding the contacts....repaired! Well the latest thing is that the headlights are not coming on when trying to start the bike.....they always came on before. Flipping the high low beam switch does nothing too. We checked both lights and they are okay...no opens. We checked all the fuses too and they are fine also. I know that the suzuki's are notorious about their electrical switches. I put the meter on the connector that connects to the lights and got no voltage on either wire(high and low beams). I am asking because maybe one of you has had the same issue. Just thought that I would ask in here since someone might have had this issue in this forum. Thanks for any and all responses.

Russ

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    01 GSXR-1000 18,154kmi. Yosh bolt on,rear fender mod., Led blinkers, Power CommanderIII, K&N Intake, cramp buster, new chain and sprockets for the 12' riding season.

Re: 2002 Suzuki TL 1000R Headlight issue

You mean you turn the key and the headlight comes on? If that's the case - yeah, mine's always done that...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    You mean you turn the key and the headlight comes on? If that's the case - yeah, mine's always done that...
    Were you drinking lol? He means the headlight usually comes on when you turn the key, but now it won't.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Follow the wires to the main harness and check the all the pins.....my 01 1k was pulling the headlight pin out so the head light would cut in and out......good way to tell is that whole lume powers the dash ect so if its just the light then check those pins.. I pulled it and tweaked it a bit and put it back in with a dab of silicone and tape.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

There is a large connector that contains the power supply to your lights (along with the rest of the dash etc.) I believe it is in the right hand front side of the bike, possibly yellow in color, check your wires there. Suzukis/TLs sometimes overheat the connector which causes a discontinuity there.

Best bet would be to see if you can find an online service manual with the schematic and trace things out that way.

Check here for service manual http://www.jiffypark.com/tl/98-02TL1000R.pdf

Joel

Last edited by tls25rs; 08-31-10 at 07:32 AM. Reason: added link to service manual

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    There is a large connector that contains the power supply to your lights (along with the rest of the dash etc.) I believe it is in the right hand front side of the bike, possibly yellow in color, check your wires there. Suzukis/TLs sometimes overheat the connector which causes a discontinuity there.

Best bet would be to see if you can find an online service manual with the schematic and trace things out that way.

Check here for service manual http://www.jiffypark.com/tl/98-02TL1000R.pdf

Joel

Yup.....................same as the gixxer..break (srry) side of the bike

Last edited by Pigman; 09-01-10 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Were you drinking lol? He means the headlight usually comes on when you turn the key, but now it won't.
    I had a feeling I wasn't quite understanding the explanation. But yes, I drank last night...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

check the push button starter switch, it may need cleaning, I've had to do it a couple times

the starter switch momentarily turns the lights off while the starter is operating, when you release the button after the engine is running, the lights are supose to come back on, but sometimes some of the internal contacts stick

good description of reair here http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintena...ance-pics.html

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

same thing happened to my big brothers bike, he has the same year TL with about the same amoun miles. You can either wiggle the wire harness around, or run a seperate toggle swith, Other than that the only alternative is to buy another harness

Just a follow-up on this issue........my son did not want to tear the bike apart. He ended up bringing it to the shop and they found the issue under the tank one of the harness connectors was burnt out or something......they cut all the wires and replaced it with about 15 wires going to it........$180 later and he is all set. Thanks for the comments and advice.

01 GSXR-1000 18,154kmi. Yosh bolt on,rear fender mod., Led blinkers, Power CommanderIII, K&N Intake, cramp buster, new chain and sprockets for the 12' riding season.