Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

2007.5 Tuono R, Electronics gone crazy, please read and help

2007.5 Tuono R, Electronics gone crazy, please read and help

Hello all,
    The T was working great, maybe idling a little low, but running strong after last weeks service with 6300 miles. The little wrench was lit up on the dash though (due to mileage I figured) so I brought it to a dealer to have the computer reset. They did this right away (which was AWESOME) and inspected the bike. Then I hopped on it and rode about 10 miles when in 2nd gear at 5.5K it went bananas. The tach would drop along with the power from the motor, the neutral light come on, then a half-second later, it would fire back up strong and the neutral light would go off. It would do this at random, sometimes in rapid succession. So basically the thing acted like a bucking bronco. ON OFF ON OFF kicking me back and forth. All with steady throttle and no contact with the clutch or shifter.

So I stopped, turned it off, restarted it, and same behavior in 1st gear. Low and behold it does it in ANY gear. When the tach drops and the power shuts off the neutral light most often comes on and the rest of the dash looks normal. Brought it back to the dealership but they said they couldn't look at it that day (understandable I guess) and I would have to make an appointment. Only problem... I live 150 miles from the dealership. So I rode it home, white knuckling it, because it would freak out at random. If i kept the RPMs beneath 5K though, it wasnt as bad, and the bucks not as strong.

Another weird thing, during some of its fits, the speedo would be way off, like I would be cruising at 65 and then it would climb to 120 with me never changing speed!

Last bit of info, if I cut the throttle to slow to a stop, the bike would die sometimes. But wouldnt restart. I would push the button and the dash would just go blank after a little burp with no following starter activity. I'd have to shut off the key, turn it back on, and then MAYBE it would turn over and start after a few tries.

So what do you folks think? Any advise? It isnt much fun to ride right now since it could go nuts at any time. Bringing it back that 150 miles on a trailer is not what I really want to do, but I guess that I may have to. I wanted to check here first to see if this madness has happened to anyone else or anything like it?

Did they flash the ECU with the wrong software?
    Is there a loose connection?
    Is my ECU fried and or nuts?
    Something else?

Thanks in advance,
    Ben

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't Fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

NEW STREET/TRACK: 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    STREET/TRACK: '08 CBR600RR (SOLD)
    '07 VFR800 (SOLD)

Re: 2007.5 Tuono R, Electronics gone crazy, please read and help

Check you battery connections.

Friend: man riding this really hurts my balls

Me: Well you're not supposed to sit on your balls!

+/- battery connections.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

I am going to check that first thing. Seems strange that it could cause the "neutral" light to come on, but who knows I guess!

Any other ideas? Thanks to Drop and JB for taking the time to provide input.

'07 VFR800 (SOLD)

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Haha. Battery connections. The dealer may have disconnected them when resetting the wrench.

If i risked life and limb riding this goddamn thing home and having it shit the bed once right in the shoulderless fast lane S-turns on 95 in providence all because of a battery connection that I could have re-connected super easily, I am going to go bonkers.

Thanks Degsy, I will check when I get home. Do you think that a loose battery connection could cause the speedo to creep and act weird like that? I guess anything is possible.

'07 VFR800 (SOLD)

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post
    Do you think that a loose battery connection could cause the speedo to creep and act weird like that? I guess anything is possible.
    The 06 R1 I had pulled a similar stunt on me, very random as well. It ended up being the battery, though it wasn't so much a bad connection, the battery just suddenly lost a cell or something. Odd that the bike still started fine, but whatever, new battery and it never happened again.

Yamaha

You reset the wrench through the user interface on your dash. No need to disconnect the battery for that. Check for shorts around your ignition too, I have heard that could be a issue and see if it acts up at idle just moving your bars back and forth..

Hello all,
    The T was working great, maybe idling a little low, but running strong after last weeks service with 6300 miles. The little wrench was lit up on the dash though (due to mileage I figured) so I brought it to a dealer to have the computer reset. They did this right away (which was AWESOME) and inspected the bike. Then I hopped on it and rode about 10 miles when in 2nd gear at 5.5K it went bananas. The tach would drop along with the power from the motor, the neutral light come on, then a half-second later, it would fire back up strong and the neutral light would go off. It would do this at random, sometimes in rapid succession. So basically the thing acted like a bucking bronco. ON OFF ON OFF kicking me back and forth. All with steady throttle and no contact with the clutch or shifter.

So I stopped, turned it off, restarted it, and same behavior in 1st gear. Low and behold it does it in ANY gear. When the tach drops and the power shuts off the neutral light most often comes on and the rest of the dash looks normal. Brought it back to the dealership but they said they couldn't look at it that day (understandable I guess) and I would have to make an appointment. Only problem... I live 150 miles from the dealership. So I rode it home, white knuckling it, because it would freak out at random. If i kept the RPMs beneath 5K though, it wasnt as bad, and the bucks not as strong.

Another weird thing, during some of its fits, the speedo would be way off, like I would be cruising at 65 and then it would climb to 120 with me never changing speed!

Last bit of info, if I cut the throttle to slow to a stop, the bike would die sometimes. But wouldnt restart. I would push the button and the dash would just go blank after a little burp with no following starter activity. I'd have to shut off the key, turn it back on, and then MAYBE it would turn over and start after a few tries.

So what do you folks think? Any advise? It isnt much fun to ride right now since it could go nuts at any time. Bringing it back that 150 miles on a trailer is not what I really want to do, but I guess that I may have to. I wanted to check here first to see if this madness has happened to anyone else or anything like it?

Did they flash the ECU with the wrong software?
    Is there a loose connection?
    Is my ECU fried and or nuts?
    Something else?

Thanks in advance,
    Ben
    There are two brown square connectors located on right hand lower portion of bike when things get hot they melt a common problem see AF1 forms on subject. Prevention is to grease up connection with electoletic

yep, what he said. The main battery wiring harness connections on several ape models are notorious for corrosion, getting hot and melting or just bad power conductance. Search the AF1 forum and you'll find it. I replaced the ones I had on my Falco to avoid the issue.

Actually, I mean your bike is toast. I'll give you $500 for it.
    I miss my Aprilia...

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    yep, what he said. The main battery wiring harness connections on several ape models are notorious for corrosion, getting hot and melting or just bad power conductance. Search the AF1 forum and you'll find it. I replaced the ones I had on my Falco to avoid the issue.
    Never had this issue and since Falko replaced them I probably never will but I have heard of it quite a few times on the AF1 forum. You might wanna try posting this over there if you haven't and can't sort it out lots of really helpful people with great knowledge of how to fix pretty much anything wrong. A very useful site for any Aprilia owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Actually, I mean your bike is toast. I'll give you $500 for it.
    I miss my Aprilia...
    You should miss her she's a great bike I don't know if I'll ever part with her unless I'm somehow forced to.

Well, just take care of her. And if you ever decide to give up the reigns...

Like Matt said, the AF1 forum is run by probably the premier Aprilia dealer/mechanics in the country. You'll find your answer there.

thanks all very much for the responses, good to have some more experienced bike folks to get info from so quickly.

I am familiar with the AF1 gang and the Brown connector problem, and they are familiar with me since I use them as my personal tech support when I am in trouble with the bike (those guys are awesome). I had replaced that connector and the wires already per the fix tutorial.

Popped the seat off yesterday, and you guys were right, not only was the negative terminal loose, but one of the power wires was pinched/damaged by the seat fastener. I tightened it up, re-insulated the damaged wire, and rode her into work today, not a single burp. Well done NESR diagnosis team.

Seems so weird that intermittent battery contacts could cause all of the described problems, but there you have it. Hopefully others can learn from my situation.

Falko, I love this bike! You need to head up to Seacoast Cycle in Derry, check out the RSV4 and TuonoV4, sooo sick. I was drooling for a solid 30 minutes, they have a lot of nice rides up there.

Rosco, do you know the dash code needed to reset the wrench? I tried a few guesses but didn't get it so I brought it in. Thanks! (I think I see you on the AF1 forums sometimes as well)

Mark (R7), I think we are due for another ride to that ice cream joint in CT soon, may have to rally some RI troops.

'07 VFR800 (SOLD)

thanks all very much for the responses, good to have some more experienced bike folks to get info from so quickly.

I am familiar with the AF1 gang and the Brown connector problem, and they are familiar with me since I use them as my personal tech support when I am in trouble with the bike (those guys are awesome). I had replaced that connector and the wires already per the fix tutorial.

Popped the seat off yesterday, and you guys were right, not only was the negative terminal loose, but one of the power wires was pinched/damaged by the seat fastener. I tightened it up, re-insulated the damaged wire, and rode her into work today, not a single burp. Well done NESR diagnosis team.

Seems so weird that intermittent battery contacts could cause all of the described problems, but there you have it. Hopefully others can learn from my situation.

Falko, I love this bike! You need to head up to Seacoast Cycle in Derry, check out the RSV4 and TuonoV4, sooo sick. I was drooling for a solid 30 minutes, they have a lot of nice rides up there.

Rosco, do you know the dash code needed to reset the wrench? I tried a few guesses but didn't get it so I brought it in. Thanks! (I think I see you on the AF1 forums sometimes as well)

Mark (R7), I think we are due for another ride to that ice cream joint in CT soon, may have to rally some RI troops.

Reset the Service Light:
    Enter code 13432 in the diagnostics menu and scroll down to reset service light option.
    After entering the above code, this is also where you can change miles/km.