Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2012 CBR600RR - EGCV Issue

2012 CBR600RR - EGCV Issue

Hey guys,
    I figured i would share my frusteration and anger with some of you. I picked up a new 2012 CBR600RR from... cycles128...
    I went there because the sales guy was a nice dude who i went to highschool with and the business manager is a nice guy. I had been a tire kicker for years, i would always go in and look at bikes over the past 5 years, just to see the new stuff etc. I can always remember saying hi. thats all, just say hi and sometimes shoot the shit. It's nice walking into a place and have someone acknowledge you and not do the salesman bullshit fake try to get to know you shit.

anyway
    Bought the bike with legit 0 miles, have been riding it. Over the 2400 miles i have already put on it, i got a random Check Engine Light.Being as its new, i was miffed by this, but not overly concerned. I have a warranty.Bring the bike back to the dealer. First question they ask " Who did your 600 Mile Service" I did my 600 mile service...Oil change, Chain etc.

They claimed that at 600 the EGCV Needs to be adjusted, I followed the service manual which on the EGCV says every 16,000 Miles... Regardless they were nice about it, cleared the code, adjusted the EGCV.

They had said because the bike had so many miles on it so fast that the EGCV came out of whack. I dont believe it, but i do know that it does have problems on alot of newer bikes (suzuki and yamaha included)

***update**
    7/1/2012

When i picked the bike up last week, they said honda was not covering all of the Diagnosis becuase i did the 600mile service my self. so i paid 46$ (half of the diag fee etc) At that point, i just wanted my bike back, and was assuming i was all set. I don't think they even looked at the bike, and i dropped the bike off immaculate clean, got it back filthy and had water spots like it sat out in the rain (which it probably did)...

The name of the Dealer is Cycles128 In Beverly, MA.

Now i know everyone who knows them is probably going " ahhhh they are terrible etc etc".
    I know, i know. But i like to keep business with people that are somewhat local, and someone i can walk into and talk to if i have an issue etc. I like to build loyatly with places.

Now given how the situation is being handled i am not to excited. Both times i was told to bring the bike in and it would be looked at while i wait, then when i get there, i am told they need to keep it over night..so then i need to find a ride. so i end up sitting there for about 3-4 hours each time.

To me, if i was running a business i would just be upfront with everyone and explain the situation etc. Dont over promise and under achieve...As of right now, i am a little bummed out with Honda and their product, a little bummed out with the dealership for not taking care of this asap and really making me feel like hey dont worry.

My sales guy who i went to highschool with is a nice guy and has been taking care of me and helping me out. He has been great, but the situation still sucks. I know its not his fault, so i have no issue with him. He has done everything great from a customer service stand point.

Given how often and much i ride, the downtown is an extreme pain in the ass. I do ride everyday. i commute about 65 miles round trip everyday to work..so it saves me some serious gas money.

So actually on 7/1/12
    Brought back to dealer for same exact thing. this time i now know when the Check Engine Light comes on if you pull over, put it in neutral and drop the kick stand, it will actually flash the code.

I got a code 35 (ecgv) again. We will see what the dealer does.

Mainley posting because i am just frustrated with the god dam stupid emissions piece that consuming my riding time. I am now down almost 4 days of beautiful riding.Also doing this to track the progress of this, and if it escalates, i will have documentation of it, that everyone can see etc etc.

So this thread is a work in progress...right now its on a level green, little bummed out but dealing with it, not over pissed yet.
    that could change to a yellow tomorrow when they say they need to keep the bike longer... the answers i get from the dealer are going to predict how this thread goes.

they just sent me a text saying the bike was hooked up with this pic. At least its inside getting looked at.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by importcustomx; 07-02-12 at 11:59 AM.
    1985 Honda Goldwing Aspencade ::::Current:::::
    1984 Honda Interceptor VF500F ::: Project::::
    2012 Honda CBR600RR :::::Current::::
    2004 Honda CBR600f4i :::Sold:::
    2005 Honda CBR600f4i :::Sold:::

Re: 2012 CBR600RR - EGCV Issue

step 1 - type in Cycles 128 in the search button in this forum
    step 2 - read any of the threads, they're all bad
    step 3 - chose another dealership to service your bike

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

RUN Fast Really Fast..............and never go back.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. The only good experience I've had with cycles 128 is their MSF program, which was run by instructors that had nothing to do with the dealership. Before I bought my triumph, I was looking at Monsters and Hypermotards there and no salesmen gave me the time of day. I'm assuming it's because I'm a young kid, but still, I was genuinely interested in some of the bikes they had. Not planning on buying any bikes from them in the near future that's for sure.

-Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

I know Jim & Pigman, i know... Believe me. I've read the threads etc, but they at the time were the only ones who had the bike that i wanted, in that color.

If the light comes on again, i am bringing it to another dealer, either Naults or Depot Honda Kawasaki...i gotta go up there and meet the techs etc...

Sad thing is, majority of "technicians" now are just idiots..no experience, and if its not in the book, then it cant be fixed.

all BS to me...

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

Quote Originally Posted by mell0 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. The only good experience I've had with cycles 128 is their MSF program, which was run by instructors that had nothing to do with the dealership. Before I bought my triumph, I was looking at Monsters and Hypermotards there and no salesmen gave me the time of day. I'm assuming it's because I'm a young kid, but still, I was genuinely interested in some of the bikes they had. Not planning on buying any bikes from them in the near future that's for sure.
    i had the same issue...sales people forget about it..but that 1 guy always said hi. it was weird.

I dont want to turn this into a bash thread, but just an experience thread. i am letting everyone in on my adventure/ path to my climbing a clock tower.

Was planning on buying grips and some fluids today at Cycles 128....after reading this....

not so much.

'02 F4i

Super-Dooper User ɹǝʍoןandɹǝʍoן's Avatar

man that really blows! I would already be super pissed, but you have the right idea to document this. Good luck!

current: 06 zx6r, 03 450exc
    sold: 01 gsxr750, 01 RC51, 96 cr500, 98 superhawk, 00 sv650, 78 cb750, 98 dr350, 74 cb125

Jimmy, I'm in good standing with the guys at North Reading Powersports...I can ask and see what they can do for ya going forward. Hopefully after you get it back this time its all good to go.

The valve on my Daytona went as well. I rode with the CEL for a season and then finally just removed it and disabled it, but I wouldn't want to do that to a brand new bike with a warranty.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazinator View Post
    Was planning on buying grips and some fluids today at Cycles 128....after reading this....

not so much.
    Why...fluids and parts?

they are taking care of the issue, but i am just documenting it along the way. The dealer has not really done anything wrong (except the 46$ charge but i get it)

Buying parts etc thats fine.

BUT would i personally bring my bike there for modifications or other non warranty work..no.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Jimmy, I'm in good standing with the guys at North Reading Powersports...I can ask and see what they can do for ya going forward. Hopefully after you get it back this time its all good to go.

The valve on my Daytona went as well. I rode with the CEL for a season and then finally just removed it and disabled it, but I wouldn't want to do that to a brand new bike with a warranty.
    thanks Jay, Depending on how this goes i may take you up on that.

Like you said, i know i can bypass it. I can make the piece to overide the little control module, i can take out the that section of pipe and weld a new one on..but where its brand new, i shouldnt have to. Its so hard to justify not doing that. The only reason i have not done it, is becuase of the warranty...

i blame the fucking tree huggers...Emissions...pshhh

the actual EGCV in the exhaust is a pretty simple valve. its just a butterfly valve operated with a couple of cables. if the problem is actually in that part its probably just a pebble or other debris that got caught in the mechanism. This usually causes the servo motor at the other end of the cables to strip the gears inside. I'm assuming Honda still uses the same crappy plastic gears like they did on older models (like the 929). I bet all they are doing to fix it is they turn the servo by hand till the light goes off. that doesn't fix the problem so it just comes back. next time the light comes on pull the seat off and pull the servo out and open it up, you'll be able to see if the gears are stripped. if it is, the fix is a new servo motor. warranty should cover that. and it doesn't matter how quickly you put the miles on, that's a bullshit excuse.

If you have receipts documenting your 600mi service, have a chat with Honda about the bill, then have a chat with the local Attorney General about it. If you can document you did the work, they have to PROVE you did it wrong to ding you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    the actual EGCV in the exhaust is a pretty simple valve. its just a butterfly valve operated with a couple of cables. if the problem is actually in that part its probably just a pebble or other debris that got caught in the mechanism. This usually causes the servo motor at the other end of the cables to strip the gears inside. I'm assuming Honda still uses the same crappy plastic gears like they did on older models (like the 929). I bet all they are doing to fix it is they turn the servo by hand till the light goes off. that doesn't fix the problem so it just comes back. next time the light comes on pull the seat off and pull the servo out and open it up, you'll be able to see if the gears are stripped. if it is, the fix is a new servo motor. warranty should cover that. and it doesn't matter how quickly you put the miles on, that's a bullshit excuse.
    I know, believe me. I could have this fixed in 40 minutes and bypass it etc, but where its brand new i am not doing that. Its the principle of the matter. I bought a new bike with a warranty for that reason.
    And as far as that "i put the miles on quickley" i laughed and was like, yes because they are only made to be ridden 2,000 miles a year? then i followed up with telling him to read the service manual, it clearly shows every 16,000 miles is when you inspect adjust etc etc. on the 600 mile its mainley oil and chain slack...not even the filter. i just changed the filter for the hell of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    If you have receipts documenting your 600mi service, have a chat with Honda about the bill, then have a chat with the local Attorney General about it. If you can document you did the work, they have to PROVE you did it wrong to ding you for it.
    i hear ya, but for 40$ the amount of time etc i would have to use in order to make all that happen just is not worth it. I am in contact with honda about the situation, i bought the oil and filter etc from them so its recorded in the computer. date time etc etc. i have the receipt too.

I just dont want this to turn into having the friggan bike there every week.

Quote Originally Posted by importcustomx View Post
    Why...fluids and parts?

they are taking care of the issue, but i am just documenting it along the way. The dealer has not really done anything wrong (except the 46$ charge but i get it)

Buying parts etc thats fine.

BUT would i personally bring my bike there for modifications or other non warranty work..no.

This and other 128 threads remind me that there are plenty of other deserving shops that could use my business...even for the small stuff.

'02 F4i

I know, believe me. I could have this fixed in 40 minutes and bypass it etc, but where its brand new i am not doing that. Its the principle of the matter. I bought a new bike with a warranty for that reason.
    And as far as that "i put the miles on quickley" i laughed and was like, yes because they are only made to be ridden 2,000 miles a year? then i followed up with telling him to read the service manual, it clearly shows every 16,000 miles is when you inspect adjust etc etc. on the 600 mile its mainley oil and chain slack...not even the filter. i just changed the filter for the hell of it.
    you've figured out a way to bypass it without getting the light to turn on? I'd like to get rid of it on my racebike but to me the few ounces of weight savings isn't worth having the light come on.

This is what i have been looking at. A legit fix.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=103279

if i do end up doing this, ill make a how to etc. but i dont see that happening.

i hear ya, but for 40$ the amount of time etc i would have to use in order to make all that happen just is not worth it. I am in contact with honda about the situation, i bought the oil and filter etc from them so its recorded in the computer. date time etc etc. i have the receipt too.

I just dont want this to turn into having the friggan bike there every week.
    That's precisely why I'd fight it. If it's ever in there again and you haven't fought it already, "Well... back when you first brought it in we discovered you didn't have US do the first service so that's why..."

I know where your coming from, and i am speaking with Honda about it, both know i wasnt to happy about it, But it is documented with the dealer, and it was noted etc etc. Becuase i had made it a point to make sure my warranty wasnt going to be effected.

if they piss all over me and try to screw me, then its war. But for now, i am just riding it out and seeing what is done and trying not to loose my shit.

This is what i have been looking at. A legit fix.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=103279

if i do end up doing this, ill make a how to etc. but i dont see that happening.
    nice. I didn't read beyond the first page but I take it they didn't come up with a plug and play piece, correct?

You already know how I feel about cycles jimmy. Did you end up dropping it off last night?

noone developed one per say, but you can make your own, not too hard. all the parts are listed in there.

read through it, someone on there would probably make one for you.

i thought about making them and selling them becuase it is apparently a huge issue, especially for the suzuki guys. i would make them for suziki, yamaha etc. but i mean, id pay 30-60$ for a pnp part...i dont care if it cost you 10$ and 1 hour to make... i am paying for the convienance of not having to research etc.

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    You already know how I feel about cycles jimmy. Did you end up dropping it off last night?
    Yeah i dropped it off...I used the ole Brick through the window with my key tied to it. I didn't want to not leave the key
    I'm the same way, it was just they had what i wanted at the time, and i figured i would give it a shot. Its like the crazy x gf...just give her that one last chance..just to see maybe if it will work out...then before you know you it, your hog tied, gagged and bound...with no happy ending, just her smearing her menstrual blood on your forehead and sacrificing your genitals to the Gods.
    in hindsight, i guess i should have seen it coming...BUT i did not plan on my NEW Honda having this issue... i figured i was avoiding that sacrificial ceremony all together by getting one of the best 600's on the market and brand new to boot. If it was used i would have went private sale all the way. You've seen the way i operate.

For those of you who dont know me... I am a Honda fanboy. I respect all other machines, but Honda is my preference. My cars, mowers, vibrators ,breast pumps (which i saw a fs thread that was selling a one..hilarious)

Last edited by importcustomx; 07-02-12 at 02:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast