Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

86 VFR Clutch Question

86 VFR Clutch Question

Clutch was working fine before removal. The pressure was realeased during chain removal and now we put it back together it has no resistance in lever. We drained all the fluid after bleeding the system several times thinking something was clogged or stuck in the line. After looking everything over, blowing through the lines we filled it back up and bled it several times but still no resistance in lever and clutch won't engauge/disengauge. The piston moves in the slave cylinder when the lever is pulled, but there isn't enough pressure (it seems like, you can't really hold it back with your fingers) to disengauge the clutch. We even put a c-clamp on the piston but still no resistance in the lever. Any ideas to try or what could have caused this? Bad master cylinder or slave cylinder maybe?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    That thing got a KAWI in it?????? SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!
    1997 ZX7R LATER JJ

86 VFR Clutch Question

AS I recall the clutch on my 86 VFR acted the same way when I first bought it. Granted I wasnt chainging the chain, it has NO grab for a lil while I ended up flushing the fluids and bleeding it well. But even after that it was feeling right.
    It ended up coming back after I got the bike running, etc.

I'm planing to be chaing chain and sprockets on my viffer so keep me updated how how it works out for ya

Honda (RC26) VFR700
    "hey Randy, do a wheelie!!"

86 VFR Clutch Question

How bout an update.......I'm realy curious as to what the problem was and if you've solved it.

Honda (RC26) VFR700

86 VFR Clutch Question

Originally posted by wastedincome420
    How bout an update.......I'm realy curious as to what the problem was and if you've solved it.
    He still hasn't done anything yet. He did call and was told he needed to "pressurize" the system. And that is the last I have heard. I told him we need to go out and run it for a bit and see what happens (I don't use the clutch to shift on mine). But my bike is down for now (sprocket) and he doesn't seem to ambitious to get it up and running so who knows. But I will get back to you someday (might be next spring...lol) and let you know what worked for him.

1997 ZX7R LATER JJ

86 VFR Clutch Question

Thanks JJ...
    Im about to pull mine apart for chain & sprocket and just wanted to be prepared.......
    I agree that he needs to just run it

Honda (RC26) VFR700

86 VFR Clutch Question

Originally posted by wastedincome420
    Thanks JJ...
    Im about to pull mine apart for chain & sprocket and just wanted to be prepared.......
    I agree that he needs to just run it
    He finally got it up and running. He bleed it some more and used the piston (slave cylinder) to push the air back up through the master cylinder (at least that's what I got out of it). He said it's still not quite the same as before but not that bad either. They only thing I can say is "DON'T" let the pressure out of the line. You do not need to touch the line to swap the chain and sprockets. Just remove the bolts to the slave cylinder. As far as your other chain question.....I have 1 down on the front and 2 up in the rear and I have more than enough with the stock 110 link chain. I did have a 108 link chain and that was almost enough to work on the 2 teeth up. Good luck .

1997 ZX7R LATER JJ