Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

95 PW50 Rebuild Father n Son project...please help getting it running, almost there!

95 PW50 Rebuild Father n Son project...please help getting it running, almost there!

First bike in the family. Hopefully some folks on here can help us out. Most things I work on have 4 wheels

I've done some items already to the bike, top end rebuild kit, new carb, cleaned oiled filter, new plug. Bike has great spark (actually zapped myself pretty good not paying attention lol)

Fuel is getting to carb. Top of the piston is getting wet. Not sure I trust the oil injection on this older bike that appears to have been neglected over the years. I'm tempted to plug off the oil tank and oil pump and running a premix in the gas tank just to get her going.

It hasn't ran in YEARS.

If anyone can help that would be great - appears to be lots of knowledgeable people on here since this forum has popped up in my google searches. I'm know my son and I are close to getting this puppy running...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 95 PW50 Rebuild Father n Son project...please help getting it running, almost the

I'd just run premix. My rs50 had an oil injection set up and it was a pain.

Where are you located would help with getting a set of hands on it.

Re: 95 PW50 Rebuild Father n Son project...please help getting it running, almost the

Quote Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk View Post
    I'd just run premix. My rs50 had an oil injection set up and it was a pain.

Where are you located would help with getting a set of hands on it.
    Actually I'm up in Alberta, Canada, quite a ways from you and probably most others unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
    ...appears to be lots of knowledgeable people on here since this forum has popped up in my google searches...

google has deceived you!

ya try roll starting it?

and did it even fire once?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-10-13 at 02:17 AM.

I had one

After cleaning the carb AND THE PETCOCK it would start 3rd kick NO CHOKE

It is a centripetal clutch so NO push starting

Take off air cleaner, open throttle, a small squirt starter fluid..... assuming you have any kind of compression

While I was worried about the oil injectoin I ran 100 to 1 until I saw smoke when accelerating

Also exhaust could be packed pull the muffler insert.

If she was ONLY used by spazes for little kids there is a large washer in the front of the exhaust header as a speed restrictor

NOTE the forks do NOT get oil

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Alberta? Could be the next DucDave ride!

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

The exhaust washer is already removed. Going to check to see if there's air coming out exhaust as I crank it. I guess I could yank the oil pump hose where it goes into the carb to see if any oil is getting to the carb...

It has a new top end, rings, cylinder head etc. Compression is good.

Thnx fellas

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Running 32:1 in the tank. Cleaned out the gas tank completely because I noticed the fuel switch has debris in it on the side coming from the tank. Cleaned all that out - still no start.

So I ran and got a can of that sure-start like you said Stromper and she fired up, with the fuel off and then died. I turned on the fuel - one more lil squirt, kicked her and ran her for a good 10-15 mins. She'll start with every kick now.

One thing, and I think this is the new carb...when she starts she's under load. The rear tire is moving pretty good. She still has throttle left, but it's definitely engaged already. I need to fix that. Might put the factory carb back on...

Don't mind me, just talking to myself lol but anyways:

Factory carb back on, now it runs like it should.

Oil pump actually works, it was weeping oil out when I first let it run for a good bit. Probably never came out earlier because the system may have been dry or had air in it.

Son took it for a burn down the alleyway, that was after I dialed the throttle limiter back!

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

^^^ nice man, congrats on getting her running! enjoy the first family bike.

awwwwweesome....such a great feeling to get a bike running again

Now DAD time for you to get something to ride with him

Examine the rubber between carb and air box they stiffen up and leak and the foam air filter is thin and often are ripped.

Last edited by Stromper; 08-11-13 at 05:21 AM.
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Pictures???

K8 GSXR 600

Here are some pics I had on another site as we worked on it:

My son is sick as a dog, strep throat, had a fever, but the antibiotics have kicked in and he still wanted to go out and work on his bike. He has a warm coat on in the pic to give you an idea, it's tshirt weather warm outside and in the garage. But I couldn't say no to him so I took him out in the garage for about 15 mins as we assembled the head and tried the kick lever.

we removed the engine from the frame, That was a few items to disconnect lol.

Here are some pics of the internals. Everything looks find to me. The teeth and spring look good on the trans side.

She's almost reassembled. Might do the head and rings tonight for a test fire tomorrow. (got to get fluids)

I got some pics of him riding it - I'll have them posted soon.

Here they are riding it, you can tell it's a bit smaller for him but it's a good size for him to handle for his first bike. The lil girl is my 6 year old daughter who also took it for a burn. My 13 year old also took it for a rip. It's a well liked bike in the short time it's been running.

Here are some pics from the weekend:

Him and his cousin checkin out the next spot to ride to:

My 6 six year old daughter also took it for a rip and LOVED it:

He rode this thing non stop for like 4 days.

What a blast they had:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 95 PW50 Rebuild Father n Son project...please help getting it running, almost there!-pw3-jpg   95 PW50 Rebuild Father n Son project...please help getting it running, almost there!-pw1-jpg   95 PW50 Rebuild Father n Son project...please help getting it running, almost there!-pw4-jpg   95 PW50 Rebuild Father n Son project...please help getting it running, almost there!-pw5-jpg  

Last edited by lbrowne; 08-20-13 at 04:20 PM.

This is the best thread ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    This is the best thread ever.
    Lol thanks!

I truly have to say, it was a suggestion in this thread that literally put the final stamp on this project to get it running. For whatever reason, it just needed a shot of the Sure Start/starter fluid and now this thing has been running ever since. My son know hows to start it, and he can start it on his own no problem. It was something else watching him show his 13 year old sister how to start it when she was taking it for her first ride.

My inlaws own a campground, and that's where he's doing all his riding. The other night my mother-inlaw told me that a few of the campers said they couldn't get over how aware and courteous "the lil fella on the dirt bike" was. Stays away from vehicles, stops completely when people are walking in his path and gives them the right away before he continues on. I told him right from the start that with this bike comes responsibility and it's up to him to be a big boy now.

Here's another shot, big storm rolling in and he was getting a couple more laps in before tucking her away in the garage.

Awesome! thanks for sharing.