Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

95 ZX6r problems

Bike Junky

Unhappy 95 ZX6r problems

Alrighty finally got to start working on my bike to get it up and running before I officially pay for it come spring. Ran into some issues so thought I would run it by you guys to see if anyone has any ideas or how to approach figuring out the problem. This is what I did. I changed the oil and put a new battery in it today that unfortunately wasn't fully charged. Checked the air filter and had to clean out the exhaust can because chipmunks or mice had made a nest inside it. Kind of funny to hit the starter and a big ball of nest comes shootin out the back. Any ways drained the tank of some old gas and put new stuff in her. Checked the fuel filter I need to replace it but it worked for now just to see if she started. This was my first time getting to lay hands on her. So anyways battery wouldn't turn it over cause it wasn't fully charged so me and my buddy decided to hook up the jumper cables to my cavalier. I know probably not the smartest. So proceeded to turn her over a few times and got her to finally start to sputter and cough. So everything was looking up. Stopped turning it over checked some other stuff came back to try again pulled in the clutch lever turned on the key and hit the starter and nothing. WTF. checked all the fuses everything's good. Went through everything we could think of and still nothing. Ok some more background I forgot here. When we originally started trying the starting process all the lights came on like they should. When there was no response none of the lights came on as well except for the neutral and oil light on the dash. So not sure what to think at this point. Any ideas or even ideas on how to start trouble shooting this. I hate electrical problems. Any help would be great.
    Thanks in advance,
    Todd W

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nhtodd; 09-19-10 at 05:15 PM.

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Re: 95 ZX6r problems

First off charge your battery all the way my bike was acting really weird when the battery started to go. Second was it in neutral? that bike has a neutral safety switch a kick stand and I think it has a clutch lefer safety as well. Check and makew sure all of them are connected. I believe I had to replace one of them on mine when I first got it. Don't remember which one it was though.

starter solonoid? tap the starter with a small hammer.. may be corroded inside and hit a dead spot when turning over before. definiitely start with the battery.. or give me a call and i can try to figure it out for you. 774-200-6395

Degsy: "i never had red hair"

some people crash because it is out of their control
    others crash because They are out of control

http://www.landricscustoms.com

make sure it's in neutral... the clutch switch tends to go bad on these bikes.

I had like 3 of them... but you need a charged battery to really diagnose anything!

The best advice I’ve ever been given is to not forget where you came from.

Bike Junky

thanks guys. Well I know it was in neutral the whole time cause I did check that when it wouldn't do anything anymore. I did have the clutch pulled in when I was cranking it and it wouldn't work with out it. Now the only thing thats throwing me off here is the lights aren't coming on anymore I mean the headlight and the tail light. The oil and neutral light still come on. It clicks at the box when I pull in the clutch lever and when I turn on the key but then I hit the starter button and nothing at all. Now would having the jumper cables hooked up to my car possibly do any injury to the system. I was thinking starter solenoid as well but like I said the lights not being on were throwing me off. I'll definitely try the tapping thing. Keep the ideas coming guys you guys rock!

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

You can't hurt a 12 volt bike system with a 12 volt battery, regardless of the size of it, unless you hook it up backwards. Jumping a bike battery with a car battery is not stupid, you did good.

The problem you are having sounds like a failed junction box. There's a likely a fried copper land on the circuit board inside it. Take it out and open it up. They are usually just tacked together with melted plastic posts in the corners. You can solder a piece of wire to bridge the fried land and fix the box. While it's open, look up the relay part numbers online and order some new ones to put in. They are usually really cheap.

If you need a hand with this stuff, lemme know. I live in Raymond and travel throiugh Derry every day; Londonderry would be an easy side trip.

Last edited by stoinkythepig; 09-20-10 at 07:59 PM.

Bike Junky

Thumbs up Re: 95 ZX6r problems

Right on man that does sound like a very good possibility. Cause I was running the starter for extended periods and it would have definitely cooked something but it didn't blow any fuses so I was thinking something was missing. Didn't think to open up the junction box to check that. I hope it's something that simple that would be cool. My buddy used to live in Raymond below the pizza parlor and now lives in Sandown. I'm right over the Derry/Londonderry border on Stonehenge Rd. I would imagine most anyone on a bike has gone right by my house cutting over as I watch them pass by all day long when I'm home. Thanks for the advice man I hope your right. Rock on.

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Bike Junky

Ok one other issue I thought of and this is much simpler. What's the best way to get some rust out of a tank? I figured starting another thread would be a waste of space. Thanks again guys.

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Quote Originally Posted by nhtodd View Post
    thanks guys. Well I know it was in neutral the whole time cause I did check that when it wouldn't do anything anymore. I did have the clutch pulled in when I was cranking it and it wouldn't work with out it.
    I don't think it's the cause of your problem, but you probably need to replace your neutral switch. The bike should turn over in neutral with the clutch in or out.

Quote Originally Posted by nhtodd View Post
    Ok one other issue I thought of and this is much simpler. What's the best way to get some rust out of a tank? I figured starting another thread would be a waste of space. Thanks again guys.
    Forums are only interesting when there's lots of things to read, so making a new thread is not something to avoid, it's something to embrace.

Anyway, Kreem or POR 15 are made specifically to clean and seal rusty gas tanks. I've used Kreem before and it works. Some people hate it though. To get rid of the rust, you'll need to fill it partially with cleaner (I like to add some clean nuts and bolts as well) then seal all the openings and agitate it in all kinds of different positions to let the cleaner and nuts and bolts dissolve and knock off all the rust and scale. Drain and repeat with just cleaner until the cleaner drains out clean, then rinse it out with just water. Next, prep the tank with sealer primer and dry it thoroughly. Finally, seal the tank.

Bike Junky

Alrighty got some updates on my dilemma. Got the junction box today off the bike and took it apart and unfortunately no damage to be seen. So I'm back to square one. So my question now is what else would control the ignition and the lights and not blow any fuses or what would be the best way to see if maybe the junction box is bad? I'm stumped with this one. If it was just one or the other it would be much easier but both at the same time? that's just not right lol. As always any ideas help. Thanks guys.

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Since the J box looks good, I'm thinking maybe the igntion switch has failed. It controls the circuit for the lights and the starter. It's more work and money to replace than simply opening the J box, that's why I had you start there (plus I've fixed one that failed that way...). Obviously, you'll want to check the wiring to the ignition switch. Do you have a schematic? If you can get one, it'll help a lot.

Bike Junky

yeah I need to get a clymer's manual cause I need wiring schematic's thats first on my list of must buy's.

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Price a factory manual at the dealer. They are excellent and not expensive.

Bike Junky

I will definitely do that. I didn't think of that I'd rather have one of those anyways.

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and just wondering, what was the out come of this 95 ZX6r problems.

Bike Junky

Still workin on it my man unfortunately

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Quote Originally Posted by NRrice View Post
    Hey guys I'm new to the forum and just wondering, what was the out come of this 95 ZX6r problems.
    Search for posts by the OP. He is still working on the bike.

Bike Junky

Look for the thread I need help its a continuation of this thread

Ride On,
    Todd W.