Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

I'm out of ideas

Bike Junky

Question I'm out of ideas

Well unfortunately got to work on the bike today. Went and put everything back together today. New air filter,clean carbs,new starter and starter cable. Got new plugs but forgot them at home. Anyways put everything back together just the way it should be. All excited now. So hook up the freshly started battery put up the kick stand pull in the clutch and turn the key. Hit the starter button and NOT A DAMN THING. The oil light and neutral light come on the dash. I can hear the junction box click when I pul in the clutch and also when I turn the key so I know I'm getting power there. I'll admit eletrical problems are not my forte' and I really am no good at tracking them down. So hopefully there's someone out there that loves eletrical problems cause like I said I'm out of ideas and just don't know where to start. I really want ot get this fixed cause till it runs I can't ride my new bike.
    Thanks in advance,
    Todd

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Re: I'm out of ideas

sounds like you didn't reconnect something. check all your connectors.

Did you double check the kill switch? Does the fuel pump prime? Were you in neutral?

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Bike Junky

Yeah it was in on run. Not sure if the fuel pump primed cause I hadn't connected the fuel tank yet. The problem is I'm back to square one because when I first started working on this bike I almost had it started and then it did this so thats why I replaced the starter and cleaned the carbs and such. I was so hoping this was going to be it and she would finally come to life for me. Obviuosly there is an electrical gremlin in there somewhere I just don't know how to find it.

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

What kind of bike is it?

Bike Junky

1995 Kawasaki Ninja 600r

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Any sparks when you put the new battery in? You might have blown the 30a starter fuse. Its located very near the +ve terminal of the battery usually. Also check that you have good ground from battery to engine or the starter won't run.

Bet you a dollar the original battery died because the alternator belt shredded. They are a bitch on them bikes.

Everybody to the limit!

Yeah that can be a tricky spot, there are a number of electrical interlocks that will prevent the starter from engaging. Nothing that can't be diagnosed with a wiring diagram (shop manual) and a multimeter though. If you've got those and can't figure it out, I could give you a hand sometime.

Bike Junky

No sparks and no blown fuses checked all those when it originally did this. The guy I'm buying it off of replaced the battery when I originally found it because the bike had been sitting for a couple years in his garage and he was considering selling it when I found it. I do his lawn for trugreen. The bike is in his garage in brentwood and he wants me to get it running first before I pay for it which is cool he lets me use his garage whenever I can get over there. Everything else seems to work except the starter button does nothing. I have the factory shop manual and bought a volt meter but have never been good with electrical problems. Everything else I can fix. Would love to have someone else look at it with a different perspective it could be just something simple that I'm missing. I've checked everything that I can find and nothing.

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Banned

If you repeatedly tried to start it before, you could have some arcing debris on the starter button contacts. Easy to check. Set meter to the ohms symbol and attach a lead to each side of the starter Byron contacts in the switchgear. With button pressed you should get less than an ohm. Button not pressed you should get infinity (displayed as 1 on a multimeter). Do this with the ground of the battery disconnected.

what exactly happens when you hit the start button? Does just nothing happen? Does the tac stay lit?

If I'm not mistake that 95 doesn't even have a fuel pump, they were gravity fed till 03.

It could be a lot of things, first things i'd check out would be all of the safety switches. Not sure what that bike has but Clutch, Neutral, and kick stand are common issues.

I actually had a brand new bike (3000 miles) that wouldn't start with the clutch pulled in. Service writer at the dealership thought i was retarded till he tried it lol. I guess the clean out the switch and it worked fine.

I'm just babbling random ideas at this point lol

Last edited by Danz19899; 03-28-11 at 10:02 PM.

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Bike Junky

Nothing happens when I hit the button and none of the lights come on except for the neutral and oil indicator light. It does have a fuel pump. it does have a clutch,kickstand,and neutral safety switch.

Ride On,
    Todd W.

i'd look at all of those switches, they would be my guess

but like i said that's just a guess lol

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Bike Junky

I definitely will check those switches I would love it if that was the problem. How do I check them anyways? Do I just disconnect them or do I just have to somehow sidestep them.

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Banned

Why wouldn't it start with the kickstand down? Forget checking the kickstand switch, that isn't it.

Banned

Looking back at your first post. New starter and starter cable? Now it doesn't do anything when you hit the starter button?

I have a strong suspicion you have a bad starter or you wired it incorrectly. Try running a wire direct from battery positive to starter 12v terminal for a split second. Be careful! Don't hit anything grounded with the wire. If it doesn't try to turn over you have a bad starter motor.

Banned

If the starter runs direct from the battery, start looking at starter relay issue or starter button.

Bike Junky

I'll definitely try that. I have no idea if the starter I got works. Was just trying to see if the starter would spin before I connected the tank. Thanks Degsy didn't think of that. That'll at least give me a point of reference.

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Try it without pulling the clutch in. If it starts, it's the clutch switch that's bad.

If the neutral light is on, the neutral switch is good.

I've had the starter button fail before. You can open it up and clean it. Does the fuel pump run when you hit the start button? I cannot be sure, but some Ninjas don't run the fuel pump until the starter button is pressed. That's how my 9R is. If you pump runs when you press the starter button, the button is good.

The clutch switch on the handlebar is a know weak point. Take it apart and clean it

If it has a fuel pump it may/probably has a tip over switch which are notoriously finicky

Take a piece of wire and hot wire the starter relay see if she spins the starter.

If it does literally just follow backwards up the line un til she stops spinning and there you go

Bike Junky

I'm pretty sure the fuel pump doesn't come on when I hit the button I don't hear anything at least. I know when I pull in the clutch there is a clicking noise from the junction box. so I'm thinking it's working but I'll clean it anyways. I'll try jumping the relay see what that does.

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Here's how the starter system works on your bike:

There's a starter circuit relay in the J box. It gets +12V on the input coil from the starter button, and ground on the input coil from either the clutch switch (if the clutch is pulled in) or through the clutch switch, from the neutral switch (if the bike is in neutral and the clutch is not pulled in).

The starter button gets +12V from the kill switch, The kill switch gets +12V from a fuse in the J box.

If the fuse is bad, the clutch switch is bad, the kill switch is bad, or the starter button is bad, the starter circuit relay in the J box will never activate. Both the ground and the +12V are switched on the starter circuit relay. It's an elegant way to design it.

The +12V output of the starter circuit relay in the J box goes directly to the starter relay. The +12V output of the starter relay goes directly to the starter.

Quote Originally Posted by nhtodd View Post
    I'm pretty sure the fuel pump doesn't come on when I hit the button I don't hear anything at least. I know when I pull in the clutch there is a clicking noise from the junction box. so I'm thinking it's working but I'll clean it anyways. I'll try jumping the relay see what that does.
    Does the relay click only when the clutch lever is pulled in, or when the lever is pulled in and the starter button is pressed?

If you hear clicking in the J box when the starter button is pressed, the clutch switch, starter button, fuse, and kill switch are all good. Time to look at the output of that relay in the J box. It's usually yellow with a red stripe and goes directly to the starter relay (solenoid). See if there's +12V on it when you hit the starter button.

Bike Junky

I only hear clicking when I pull in the clutch I hear absolutely nothing when I hit the starter button I might as well be trying to push in the handlebar because it does the same thing lol.

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Quote Originally Posted by nhtodd View Post
    I only hear clicking when I pull in the clutch I hear absolutely nothing when I hit the starter button I might as well be trying to push in the handlebar because it does the same thing lol.

That's weird. Take the clutch switch connector off and connect two of the wires together. See if the bike will start. Try all three possible combinations. Might be pain because the connector has small contacts. I use a paper clip that's been hammered flat on the ends.