Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

95 zx6r loose main jets? please help.

95 zx6r Jet kit/carb issues. Please help?

Ok so my bikes been running really shite sporadically while I'm riding. One second it will runn ok the next almost die, the weird thing is it will hold an idle so I ripped it apart and did the dumb stuff first. Changed fuel filter cleaned air filter, and was going to look at the plugs when I noticed that what I believe are the main jets were all facing different directions with the little ports on them. When I went to touch them they are all loose, like I can grab them and pull them away from the trottle boddy wall. So here is my dillema if those are moving while I'm riding it would explain the bike behavior exactly. So how do I reseat them? Do I hVe to pull the carbs? Can I just spin them till they're tight or is there a nut on the back or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. As I'm sitting in my buddys driveway stuck with my bike in pieces...

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about;

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DaveZX6r; 09-18-10 at 01:29 PM.

Re: 95 zx6r loose main jets? please help.

That's not the main, it's the emulsion tube. I dunno if those are press in or screw in on those carbs but you're going to have to yank the carbs out either way to fix.

Wait the emulsion tubes? So what do they do? Could them being loose cause the issues I was describing? Thanks for the input.

The emulsion tubes are what brings the fuel from the main jet into the carb throat, and allows the needle to do it's job at metering the fuel even further. Yes them being loose could cause all sorts of issues. You'll need to pull the carbs in order to fix it properly.

Ok thanks eric. I apreciate the help guys.

Bring it by Landrics and I'll take care of it for you. 774-200-6395. That's my cell

Degsy: "i never had red hair"

some people crash because it is out of their control
    others crash because They are out of control

http://www.landricscustoms.com

Thanks rich I may take you up on that. But I'd prefer to do it myself if possible rather than hand it to someone else. Best way to learn right? Thanks again for all your help guys.

The item pictured is definitely NOT the emulsion tube, it's definitely the needle. Yes, they are supposed to move around a little bit. They can be accessed from the top of the carb and are held in by a snap ring or other kind of retaining clip. They are also spring loaded so pay attention if you decide to take them apart.

EDIT: The flat silver part is the slide. That is supposed to move and it raises the needle to let fuel in from the bowl into the intake passage of the carb.

DOUBLE EDIT: I can confirm these parts because it's obvious you took the picture standing at the front of the bike with the carbs mounted. The black piece is what the air box mounts to.

Last edited by butcher bergs; 09-07-10 at 06:51 PM.

The part i was talking about moving around was the little brass plug that the needle slid into, not the actual needle itself. After doing some digging I found out that its actually a "shroud" from the dyno jet kit that came installed on the bike. Apparently the shroud is pressed onto the emulsion tube and held in place with... superglue lol. Anyways that brass peice at the moment is capable of spining on all the carbs, as well as being pulled away from the wall of the carb throat up to 1/16-1/8" at least one of the carbs. So either the shrouds have come off the tubes or all the emulsion tubes have come loose, and more likely than not beaten themselves to peices. I'm heading over to my buddies house on thursday to open them up and take a look.
    Oh yeah and in keeping with the trend that every manufacturer calls the same damn part something totaly different depending on what day of the week it is. I don't have emulsion tubes i have "Needle jet holders"

Thanks for the tip about the needles though Bergs, I'll deffinately be carefull when I pull them open.

Oh and anyone else that may be available for any over the phone QandA please feel free to pm me your number.

And thanks again for all the input.

The details about the brass part woulda been nice to know before now.

Regardless of what the special name is from any distributor, the brass part is indeed the emulsion tube.

Yeah sorry about that, I thought I had said that it was brass, If you zoom in on the picture you can see a bunch of litle holes drilled into the shroud, those were the ports I was talking about facing all different directions. One was up one was down the other two were facing off to the side.

Just opened up the carbs. Pulled out the needle jet holder" its not the emulsion tub. I can't find any mention of the emulsion tube on the parts fiche, or in the hanes manual. I'm assuming that it is the thing in this picture with the screwdriver tip on it, because that is the only thing that lines up with the loose shroud inside the chamber?

What the manual and fiche was refering to as the needle jet holder" was the jet to the right of the screw driver that the main jet is screwed into.

Last edited by DaveZX6r; 09-18-10 at 01:13 PM.

I'm starting to get pretty ticked off two. On top of all the shrouds coming loose, when i pulled out the needles to see if they were worn. I found 2 shims underneath each clip except for the last one. Apparently the last person that opedened my carbs lost them and never told/replaced them, and I have to get replacements from dynojet, not just the dealer.

I just pulled the shroud off of them the emulsion tubes look like there made out of steal and seem like they are still in place? Idk

1 main jet
    2 needle jet
    3 pilot jet is down there
    4 float needle seat
    5 some tube that holds the needle. Needed because the mainjet needs to be kept perpendicular to the fuel level, and the slide+needle need to be kept perpendicular to the air flow through the carb body. This is fed by the mainjet/needlejet.

TLRMan