Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

99 wr400f Needs work done

99 wr400f Needs work done

Hello, I have been trying to get my new bike fixed for months now. I finally got it home from a mechanic that had the bike for 6 weeks "working" on it... I come to find out my mothers trusted car mechanic, who supposedly is great with anything with an engine did all kinds of work on the bike... Right.... After 6 weeks all the guy did was change the fluids, and replaced my oil on my "2 stroke" bike...... I laughed. I tried to tell him that it was a four stroke but then he said " I have never seen a 4 stroke dirtbike, that makes no sense" shaking my head, I was out 6 weeks a wad of cash and a bunch of 2 stroke oil I Am 16, Work hard to earn what I have. Schools coming up soon, And needing a ride too and from work is getting annoying. Its also annoying that I just wasted a bunch of time sending my bike to some guy who knows nothing about it, and did nothing I asked him to. The bikes still making a funky noise, Is boggy at low end revs, need's fork seals done, and probably a bunch of other problems.... this bike has been problems, and the mechanic situation didnt make it better. Ahh.... I know, I really should learn how to do this stuff. But i dont think I can handle it all, Maybe if it was just the valves, I would do that but there's so many small parts that i have no idea where they go..... I planned on making it a supermoto, but now I am really doubting it.

Should I just buy a new bike? throw this one off a clif and forget about it? Or should i spend some decent money on getting it repaired? How much do you think it will cost? and will it be worth it, after another 2k on sumo wheels, lights, and a speedo?

Thank you guys very much, This whole journey has been terrible. I know, I should have just spent a little more money on a newer bike in better condition....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 99 wr400f Needs work done

Do you know the bike's prior history? Boggy could just be a carb needing cleaning and a lil tuning, fork seals are just labor... or I could go down the road of horrible what ifs that will absolutely scare you off bikes completely.

Short story, you can't estimate weather you should toss or repair without knowing what's wrong first. Find someone you can trust to diagnose the noise and general health of the motor, a compression test and quick valve clearance check can likely reveal lots about the state of the motor. From there you'll have a better idea of what the repair bill could be.

Welcome to NESR. If you let us know where you are located more specifically I'm sure someone can help you out or lead you to a reputable shop.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Framingham MA

How much money would you want to spend on it?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    How much money would you want to spend on it?
    To get it in great condition.... I don't have more then 1k with parts to spend.... And the only way id spend that much is if the bike is in pristine condition afterwords

Would that be enough?

It depends. Fork seals are going to be around $100-300 depending where you go. As fr as the bogging issue it may just need rejetting or a carb cleaning. That would run you another 100-300. But, if the bottom end needs a rebuild you looking up round 1000. I'm not from the Framingham area so I can't recommend any shops around you.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube