Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Need help with some brake components

Question Need help with some brake components

I just want to see what you guys (and gals) think about a few brake parts. I am in the middle of rebuilding the front brakes after letting my bike sit for almost 4 years, I first tried bleeding them, but never could get any pressure so I decided to rebuild the calipers and the master, and install steel lines while I was there.

I just took apart my master and see this...

I cannot "feel" any difference between the smooth boar and the "mark" but if I run something over it there is definitely a difference between them.

Second, when I finally got the pistons out of the calipers (thanks to who ever gave a few ideas on how to do that in another thread) there was corrosion behind the outer most seal on every piston. I took them over to the one place in town that said they had a ultrasonic tank to see if they could be cleaned, after a sort "test period" in the tank one of the guys comes out to say that its not going to do much but he hit a "test" spot on a one side of a caliper with some glass beads and it looked a lot better....

as you may be able to see the on the bottom cylinder the machine finish has been taken away and it now looks dull.

I have been able to get a lot of the corrosion out of the calipers with an old tooth brush, brake clean, and a jewelry ultrasonic tank (she's not going to be happy about that) and I think I can get them completely cleaned with some more work.

My question is, are either of these pieces safe to be used again or am I now in the market for a caliper and a master cylinder? If there's any question in it I will replace them but if they will both work fine then I can hope to be back on the road Monday.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Need help with some brake components

Did you drain all the fluid out and then fill the master and just try to pump it down to the brakes? A lot of the time if you pump all the fluid out of the system you have to pump it up to the reservoir from the calipers. And what you have there looks useable. As long as you clean them well and everything feels good when it goes back together it should be fine. I've seen a lot worse work just fine.

Re: Need help with some brake components

Slide the pistons in without the seals in once your done cleaning as long as they slide in and out without drag or wigle you should be good. I would stay away for the bead as that can remove or warp the material. Get harm all cleaned up then see how they feel. If they are obviously too loose then that is going to be your answer right there.

"You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

Originally Posted by JalopySiR
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! This time I was laughing at you. Sorry.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

You're worrying a bit much here. New seals, clean up the crap as much as you can and be careful which seal you put in where. Sometimes all 4 are different.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!