Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Alternator / AC belt question (car)

Alternator / AC belt question (car)

My girlfriend's car (01 Camry) shredded a belt and I replaced it last night.

Every car I've worked on has had an auto tensioner, so I didn't know exactly how tight the belt should be. I thought any car made after like 1985 had an auto tensioner.

I opted for going on the loose side (tight, but not banjo-tight) leaving about an inch to an inch and a half that you can move the belt back and forth.

Charged the battery, put it in this morning and everything seemed ok. Now I'm at work and she said the A/C won't get cold...but
    1)The belt would not slip by hand this morning
    2) she says there are no squealing/ squeaking sounds
    3) the alternator light is not coming on ( the alternator and the AC being the only things on this belt)

Also, I made the mistake of telling her to check YouTube for a rule of thumb on tightness, so now she's convinced the belt isn't tight enough because she can twist it more than 90 degrees (admittedly I should have done this last night but it was dark by the time I finished working on it in the parking lot.)

Is it possible that the belt is slipping enough so that the AC isn't cooling at all, but none of the other symptoms are present?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Re: Alternator / AC belt question (car)

Nevermind, she went to the shop down the street with the script I gave her "My boyfriend is an idiot and I think he put this belt on too loose. Can you tighten it for me for free? "

Turns out while it was a little bit loose, but the compressor needed "flushed out" (her words - I don't know AC, but I've never heard of that exactly ) for $120 and maybe was the reason the belt shredded to begin with.

All of this I told her were possibilities, being Max Powers and all.

Last edited by Ductard; 07-28-15 at 02:16 PM.
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

xxaarraa

Max Power at it again! Max Power is relentless. Does not tire. Does not stop.

Did the belt job involve some spontaneous home made tools?

Nothing exciting required, just a 12mm and a 14mm socket. For a second I thought I was going to get to break out my BFH to beat on a 14 year old alternator, but then found another bolt to loosen. Sorry to disappoint.....

LRRS 919