Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?

Basic stuff here - but even that Ive got some problems with.
    I try to lube the chain on a somewhat regular basis. But for some reason Im getting a ton of lube flying off onto the left side of the rear wheel - not only the sidewall but all over the left quarter of the tire. Here's what I currently do, using a product called
    Maxima Racing Lubricants Synthetic chain gaurd spray (given to me by the dealership where I bought my bike).

Ive been doing it with the chain cold - perhaps this is part of the problem.

I spray the lube on the chain from the back and from the top on to the bottom part of the chain like it shows in the picture on the bottle. Roll the bike a little and repeat, roll some more and repeat, hopefully getting all the spots.

Then I don't ride it overnight to let it dry or absorb, but when I take off the next day (or in this case two days) the shits all over the place.

Perhaps Im just a dumbass, but it was a real pain cleaning it up this morning so Im looking to improve my technique.

Any thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

What am I doing wrong?

A well lubed chain is better than a clean wheel any day. I cringe at the sight of a shiney chain. It makes a noticably smoother ride when your chain is properly lubed.

With that being said, my rear wheel is continuously dirty. No sweat.

My routine:

Clean chain/wheel/swingarm with rag and WD40.

Wipe it down well. With dry rag to get off excess WD.

Spray with Suzuki chain lube (cheap and the can is HUGE).

Let it dry for a little while, but I usually spin the rear tire slowly for a minute to make sure it gets distributed well first.

Ride. Don't replace chain early due to being a fairy about how clean your bike is.

If it's gettin all over your tire? Ease up on the lube, or try some different stuff. Bel-Ray makes some good stuff that sticks really well. But as I have been told by some smart guys who do bike maintenance as a job, lubes that keep your bike spotless don't do a good job lubing.

Then again, don't listen to me. I'm a chain maintenance nazi!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

What am I doing wrong?

I couldn't care less about dirt on the wheel or swingarm - I was concerned about the lube all over the tire causing it to slip on left turns. When I was talking about cleaning it up I meant off of the actual tire - I didn't clean the wheel or swingarm or anything.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

What am I doing wrong?

is it Maxima chain WAX?
    the problem with chain lubes is this... wax is different than lube. if you use lube and you shop uses wax not only does the wax work if the chain has petroleum on it but now you have to clean the wax off to put your lube on. also the chain should be warm when you but either of these products on. so go for a ride FIRST and as soon as you get back, lube you chain.
    If you use wax then you usually have always use wax (its easier to stick with one product) the problem is NEW chains come oiled already so if you use wax then bust out the WD and clean it off first then wax it.
    personally i use the Bel Ray Super clean...it sprays on white so you can see what you are spraying and as the white wears off it reminds you to lube it again. its also not bad about flinging crap all over the bike...it still does a little but ive had worse

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

What am I doing wrong?

Originally posted by Manny
    I couldn't care less about dirt on the wheel or swingarm - I was concerned about the lube all over the tire causing it to slip on left turns. When I was talking about cleaning it up I meant off of the actual tire - I didn't clean the wheel or swingarm or anything.
    ? lube gets on the tread portion of your tire?

I run a scottoiller, and I tell you, I have lube all over everything, but it never gets on the tread

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

What am I doing wrong?

Originally posted by SVRACER01
    is it Maxima chain WAX?
    No Its regular Synthetic spray lube.

What am I doing wrong?

Originally posted by RandyO
    ? lube gets on the tread portion of your tire?
    Yes thats what happened. About an inch and a half up the left side of the rear tire was shiney as hell.

I guess lubing the chain cold could have been part of the problem and perhaps overdoing it was part of the problem.

Can I just switch to the Bel Ray stuff or do I need to clean the chain first.

I will say once I cleaned off the tire I rode 350 miles and everything felt very smooth!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

What am I doing wrong?

you could switch if wanted....but it wouldnt hurt to clean it first, with a Grunge Brush and some chain cleaner.
    as for over lubing....it happens..thats why i like the bel ray stuff. i can actually see what im doing and it kinda goes on like spray paint. again though...the chain usually should be warm. so go for a nice ride and as soon as you get home lube it and dont ride it, let it sit. i know most people clean their bikes adjust and lube the cahain and then go for a ride but that is how the lube goes a flyin'

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

What am I doing wrong?

Watch the flaming begin after this post!

I use WD40 as my chain lube. I put the bike up on the rear stand and spray the inside of the chain while spinning the rear wheel. Once lightly coated I wipe off the excess with a rag. Chain stays nice and clean, it does not rust or bind up, and it does not fling the WD40 everywhere.

Because it is on the thin side, I lubricate my chain just about every time I go out for a ride. If I am planning on a long ride I will bring a small can of WD40 along with me. With the rear stand it takes me less than a minute to lubricate it. Without, it takes about 2 minutes.

Just some food for thought.

What am I doing wrong?

If its thin, why doesnt it fling. Seems like the thinnner lighter stuff should fling more...

What am I doing wrong?

Originally posted by ZX-12R
    Watch the flaming begin after this post!

I use WD40 as my chain lube. I put the bike up on the rear stand and spray the inside of the chain while spinning the rear wheel. Once lightly coated I wipe off the excess with a rag. Chain stays nice and clean, it does not rust or bind up, and it does not fling the WD40 everywhere.

Because it is on the thin side, I lubricate my chain just about every time I go out for a ride. If I am planning on a long ride I will bring a small can of WD40 along with me. With the rear stand it takes me less than a minute to lubricate it. Without, it takes about 2 minutes.

Just some food for thought.
    WD40 is not a lubricant, all your doing is cleaning your chain. that why it doesn't fling, but keeping the chain clean is 95% of the battle, lube is sealed inside the o-rings

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

What am I doing wrong?

One of WD40s uses is as a lubricant. It doesn't evaporate off of the chain either. The solvents contained in it are what evaporates off. The remaining lubricant clings just fine and collects its share of dirt and grime. While not the best lubricant in the world, it complements the job of the internal O-ring lubrication just fine and does not add anywhere near as much parasitic drag to your drive train like thicker lubes.

If I had a normal chain instead of an O-ring, I would use something else.