Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

anoying intermitent bike gremlin

Re: anoying intermitent bike gremlin

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZX6r View Post
    The carbs haven't been synced since the rebuild.
    why not? maint your solution could be as simple as following routine recommended maintenance

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

wtfh!!!! New relay just came in and reads just like the old one. I don't know if they are both bad or more likely haynes made a mistake when listing the resistance table for the relay.

I know this is a long shot but does anyone have a factory service manual for the 95 zx6r that they can put up the resistance specs for the fuel pump relay for me?

Awesome!! just dled the official kawi manual and yup both relays are way out of spec. Bloody frigging hell.

I'm supposed to be getting 5-10 kohms across one set of pins 10-100 on another and 20-200 on the last set.

Instead i'm getting between 6-28 Mohms, or 6000-28000 kohms, on the different sets. Slight difference there.

Last edited by DaveZX6r; 08-18-11 at 05:02 PM.

I just talked to one of the service techs at the dealership, he told me that the relay was probably fine, and the problem was somewhere else. He said that my pump is probably clogged... makes sense, it is 250 to replace a pump.. And that they probably wouldn't take back the relay because it was an electrical part.

Oh well that just means that i now have to go down there and make a big stink, which I really don't like to do.
    However he did have a good idea about hooking up a fuel pressure gauge to the line and making sure i have fuel pressure when the problem happens.
    Any one know where I can get a cheap fuel pressure gauge?

Last edited by DaveZX6r; 08-19-11 at 05:16 PM.

You should be able to get something at Autozone or any other parts store to check fuel pressure.

Thanks eric.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Update. Coils checked out ok. Plugs all looked ok just worn replaced them woth new iridiums. Wires looked like ass, replaced them. Checked my fuel pump relay and found it way out of spec. New one shold be here Thursday. I'll let you guys know what happens.
    Did the new wires come with caps for the spark plugs?

I have an extra 2001 ZX9R fuel pump that works (I replaced it because it was getting loud and I did not want to be stranded far from home). I imagine we can easily jury rig it temporarily to prove out your fuel pump. I'll be in Westford on Tuesday and can bring it, or you can come and get it any time at my house in Raymond NH.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    bad coil?
    -it gets hot and starts breaking down.
    -2 cylinders would stop firing or fire intermittently
    -gas is still being pumped into the cyl so that would cause backfiring as unburnt fuel enters the hot exhaust pipes
    -it would also rev slow since only 2 cyl are firing
    It has an ignitor to two coils. Each coil has two wires. Its deffinately Not coil on plug.
    Btw who makes a good set of wires. Don't need anthing crazy. Just a set that's not gonna suck two months later.
    Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    If it is the coil pack, it's likely creating an open when the symptom occurs.

If you have a service manual, see if it lists ohm ratings for the coils. I don't believe there are any special test procedures for this bike but it might be good to check into that as well.

Also, an infrared temp gauge will tell you which cylinder(s) aren't firing as the pipe(s) will begin to cool off, regardless of fuel being fed. I know a guy who has one.

Update. Coils checked out ok. Plugs all looked ok just worn replaced them woth new iridiums. Wires looked like ass, replaced them. Checked my fuel pump relay and found it way out of spec. New one shold be here Thursday. I'll let you guys know what happens.
    Sounds like you're well on you way. One thing I'd like to add is that when/ if this keeps happening, check the exhaust header temp. If it' running on 2 cylinders you'll quickly figure out which 2 are not working.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    Did the new wires come with caps for the spark plugs?

I have an extra 2001 ZX9R fuel pump that works (I replaced it because it was getting loud and I did not want to be stranded far from home). I imagine we can easily jury rig it temporarily to prove out your fuel pump. I'll be in Westford on Tuesday and can bring it, or you can come and get it any time at my house in Raymond NH.
    Sorry stoinky I just noticed this. I picked up a fuel pressure guge yesterday. I'm just going to t into the main line and check it when the bike starts acting up.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Sorry stoinky I just noticed this. I picked up a fuel pressure guge yesterday. I'm just going to t into the main line and check it when the bike starts acting up.
    The pump is on my desk at work in Westford. If you ever need it, ping me.

Bike Junky

I have to say my bike does kind of the same thing only in third gear and starting at 41/2-5k. It starts to clean out at 61/2 then runs perfect at 7 and above. It's like at this little rpm range it loses throttle response and will buck like it's running out of fuel then clean out and scream like she should. Runs great everywhere else. I've cleaned my carbs twice now. Dave if you need any specs man let me know I have the factory manual.

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Update: so in Google searches looking for solutions this thread popped up quite a few times so I figured I should update it.

This weekend I checked over the ignition system. Everything checked out good. Pulled the cdi and found this.
    anoying intermitent bike gremlin-2012-04-16-17-29-a

The resistance readings are around 2-300kohms on a bunch of the pins. Up from a species Max of 90 and even 9 on one of the pins.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12