Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

baja kit necessary?

baja kit necessary?

Hey guys,

I'd like to plate a yz450f, so I'll need to add lights. I've always run lighting on stock stators... anybody have experiences where this has bit them in the ass?

Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just Registered

Re: baja kit necessary?

Not entirely related, but what year YZ?

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

YZF's do not have a lighting coil. You will need to get a differnent stator or have that one redone. You can probably find a complete kit, lights, stator, and anything else you might need.

2004 Honda VTR
    1998 Honda VTR (Track Bike )
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350
    http://www.ftmsnh.com

Quote Originally Posted by FTMS View Post
    YZF's do not have a lighting coil. You will need to get a differnent stator or have that one redone. You can probably find a complete kit, lights, stator, and anything else you might need.
    Neither did all the pitbikes I've put lights on... but yea, I may do it the right way if I can actually get a plate on the thing.

I don't know how true this is but....srry its what came on google

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?p=483602

to use a 07 WR stator on a 06 and up YZ is possible, but quite expensive. The stock WR stator will not bolt up to the YZ crank. You either need to buy the left side crank journal from the WR and have it pressed on to the YZ crank, or completely switch out the YZ crank for the WR crank. You also need to use the WR ignition cover which sticks out further and requires a WR shift lever. You will also need to weld or somehow attach a plug or aluminum to the ignition cover for the large hole where the starter motor is on the WR. So we're talking about $700-800 or so for the crank, stator, ignition cover, and shifter. Then you have the labor - probably another several hundred dollars for someone to split the cases and install the crank, then weld up the ignition cover hole. Definitely over a thousand dollars now, and you still haven't got any lights, signals, horn, switches, regulator/rectifier, wiring, etc.
    Tweav if your friend really did this as an easy bolt on, I'd really like to see proof and details of the EXACT components used and what was involved to install them. If it really can be done I'll do it to my bike to be able to use a more powerful lighting setup. This has been researched already by some VERY knowledgable people and they say it simply can't bedone as easy as you say.
    Are you sure your friends YZ is an 06 or later? the 06 and up electrical sytem is TOTALLY different and not interchangeable with WR stuff. 05 and earlier, yes for some things

You can purchase a rectifier from Dennis Kirk an LED tail light and headlight that is low draw and it'll work. It runs off the coil wire. This will give you what you need to get your inspection through. I did this on my YZ250.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    You can purchase a rectifier from Dennis Kirk an LED tail light and headlight that is low draw and it'll work. It runs off the coil wire. This will give you what you need to get your inspection through. I did this on my YZ250.

Or you could go this route and be done with it. Although on back order cheap enough.

http://www.electrosport.com/products...detail-529.php

KB
    KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

If your state requires signals and a horn for inspection, you'll need to have a battery and a rectafier/regulator. If you don't have the battery, your horn will sound KB in the morning after a night of drinking, and your headlights will go dim/bright as your signals try to flash. The headlight will also dim when you hit the brake and that light comes on.
    I haven't searched it in a while but there are complete kits out there to convert MX bikes to road legal bikes, everything from the charging system to all the working lights matched to the output of said charging system. electrexx rings a bell for being good?

Yamaha

I just bought a kit from SicassRacing.com. Very high quality stuff.