Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

barnett friction plates with OEM yamaha clutch plates

So I just got:
    -a barnett clutch kit (w' friction plates and springs)
    -yamaha steel plates

for $53 shipped

eBay Motors: Yamaha FZR600 Clutch plates (90's bikes) (item 290112173857 end time May-09-07 11:55:39 PDT)

1.) I don't know of any online shops that sell the barnett kit alone for anything under $90, so is this a good price for all the parts?

2.) granted a friction plate is a friction plate...and a steel plate is just like any other steel plate...will mixing brands cause premature wear or faulty operation?

3.) how do people feel about the barnett clutch kits? does barnett make a quality product? I hadn't heard of them until a couple weeks ago.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

1. there are places, i think i got mine from us superbikes. lockhart phillips has them as well.

2. friction plates are not all the same. you will notice a different feel/catch point between different brandsand material types. steel plates should all be about the same. don't think you will have a problem mixing steel plate A with friction plate B.

3. barnett makes a quality product, when i put one in my sv it was just a bit too grabby for me. personal preference.

fyi: my advice is not to throw in all six of the barnett springs. alternate one stock, one barnett. if your stock springs are spent order a replacement set. reason i say this, i tried using all six barnett springs and if i rode a full season with them, my left forearm would be thicker than my thigh.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Just Registered

I haven't dealt with a clutch on any of my streetbikes, but as long as you have a factory manual to check by and they're of the same thickness and aren't some weird compound I'd think you'd be fine.

I mixed and matched on my old dirtbike with no ill effects, between Yam and EBC.

Barnett is ok afaik, haven't heard any horror stories about em.

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

sounds good...I think I'll see how the barnett friction plates grab, and if it's too much I'll pickup some yamaha friction plates