Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Battery Question

Battery Question

Hello all...

The battery in my VFR (2002) seems to have shit on me... well I think so anyway... this is what I got:

It shows 12.5 volts... but drops to about 3.9 when I try and crank the bike... I jumped the bike down the hill in front of my house and then measured at the battery and I have 13.6 volts when running...

It's been acting up for a little while now... if it sits too long it won't start... if I start it periodicly it seems fine... so to me... sounds like battery...

Thing is... 1) The bike is only 2 years old and 2) I honestly keep all my batteries, this one included, on tenders all winter etc...

So what gives? Is this a normal life span for a $105 sealed, maintanence free YUASA YTZ12S battery?

On a side note... I didn't start having problems with it until after Sky Cycle did the altenator "recall" on it... so part of me wonders if they messed something up...

Anyway... any thoughts or comments welcomed...

Thanks!

Mike

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Battery Question

After you stop turning the bike over does it still have 12.5 volts? And when you crank the bike does it turn over or just click, click, click? Hopefully you have cleaned and checked the contacts, and to rule out the battery even more try jumping it with another 12 volt source. Hope this helps. Good Luck...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Battery Question

As far as batteries go. 2 years is pretty much a baseline. I have know a lot of long time bikers who replace every two years because when they die, they die with out notice...

Battery Question

You've got a bad battery. It's 2.5 yrs old and 3 yrs is pretty much normal for a bike battery. Some folks get more time out of them, but to be honest, after the 3 yr point, you're taking a chance. You said the bike was 2 yrs old, but if you look at the VIN number plate on the right side of the frame, you'll see that the bike was manufactured in Mar. or Apr. of 2002. Honda already had the batteries in stock, so add another month or two since the battery was manufactured.

Things that will shorten battery life include allowing them to discharge (even once) as that gets the plates sulfated, freezing of the electrolyte, overcharging, etc.

Even a "tender" can overcharge it. Overcharging it can cause the plates to warp and short, leading to a premature death for the battery. The best bet is to put the tender on it for a day or two per month over the winter.

Battery Question

Thanks for the replies... I really wasn't sure how long to expect from the battery.

As for a couple of the questions...

the contacts a perfect in all respects... I did check them to be sure but hadn't thought too much about them since the bike only has 5,000 miles on it, has been garaged it's entire life and only seen rain twice Ya I'm anal like that

The voltage on the battery lessens with every attempt.... and the bike only clicks... it does not actually turn over...

Looks like I'm grabbing a new battery... Friggin $105!!! Oh well... do whatcha gotta do...

Thanks again!

Mike

Battery Question

You can get a battery cheaper than $105. Call RJs Motorsports in Nashua and get a quote from them. 603-595-8534 (Just to clear the air, that's a shameless plug. I work there sometimes.)

Battery Question

I was actually wondering what a typical battery life is for a motorcyle. Thanks for the info guys!

my tl eats batterys

2 years i just read about this in in motor cyclest
    found out some stuff i never knew
    big suprize
    battery are better off under 77 & colder

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Battery Question

should be around 13.5 - 14.5 VDC while running maybe a little more

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Battery Question

I asked a couple years ago and was told there was no warranty on a motorcycle battery's life.

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

Lifer

Battery Question

I'm going on 5 years on the 929, with minimul issues. It might be time to replace after this season.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Battery Question

Originally posted by hessogood
    I'm going on 5 years on the 929, with minimul issues. It might be time to replace after this season.

Battery Question

I replaced the battery in my R7 for the first time last year, 6 years old and I never put a tender on it in the winter, though the bike isn't exposed to the cold

Yamaha

Battery Question

Originally posted by hessogood
    ya me too---or at least I would be if I didn't drill 2 holes in it when I mounted my undertail!

Battery Question

Originally posted by VinceF2
    Thanks for the replies... I really wasn't sure how long to expect from the battery.

As for a couple of the questions...

the contacts a perfect in all respects... I did check them to be sure but hadn't thought too much about them since the bike only has 5,000 miles on it, has been garaged it's entire life and only seen rain twice Ya I'm anal like that

The voltage on the battery lessens with every attempt.... and the bike only clicks... it does not actually turn over...

Looks like I'm grabbing a new battery... Friggin $105!!! Oh well... do whatcha gotta do...

Thanks again!
    Mike
    you should be able to better than 105

once you get the new one installed, make sure the charging system isn't frying your battery.

jim

"Molon labe"

Battery Question

Funny this thread is revived... I bought the new battery last year for like $90 from Chips... been perfect ever since... no issues with the charging... just a bum battery...