Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

battery question

battery question

I forgot to put a battery tender on my track bike so of course the battery is dead.

While I was looking the battery over I noticed the the fluid level was way low, almost empty even. So I got some distilled water and filled it up. Then I put the charger on it connecting the positive terminal of the charger to the positive terminal of the battery and likewise for the negative terminals. I then plugged the charger in to the wall and the trouble light on the charger came on. I tried switching the clamps on the battery and it started to charge.

After it was done charging I checked the voltage and it read 13.5V when I reversed the terminals of the multimeter on the battery and -13.5V when they were attached the correct way.

What's the deal with my battery? Is it toast? Should I get a new one?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

battery question

Reversed polarity?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

battery question

yes it seems like the battery has reversed it's polarity. Is this bad? Can I just hook it up with the terminals reversed on the bike?

battery question

I don't know how it did it or if it could switch back.

I wouldn't chance it.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

battery question

Ya I'll just get a new one but it would be nice to hear from the electrical gurus about how/why it happended and how I can prevent it from happening again. (obviously keeping it on a tender and not letting it get run down)

I picked up a 2nd tender already.

battery question

I was searching the net and came across a site with some info.

"MYTH: Once formed, batteries will not change polarity.

False! If a battery is fully discharged and continues to have a load, for example leaving the headlights on, it is possible for one or more cells to reverse polarity. When the battery has been recharged with reversed polarity the polarity can change. This is referred to as "cell reversal". To change polarity, fully discharge the battery and recharge it with the correct polarity."

So by leaving the battery sit with no tender it ran down. Then, when it was drained down and still attached to the bike, there was an additional load which switched the polatrity. I'm gonna try discharging the battery and recharging it with the correct polarity. But with all these discharges the battery will probably be junk anyways.

battery question

Thanks for the advice Kurt. I had a battery die on me at 11pm at night when I was up in NH. It was definitely not fun.

I have one that is not automatic too, I just have to find it. It's really old, used to be my grandfathers but it still works great.

The battery was removed from my bike. In order to run the battery down I attached one of those 12v auto repair lights that go in the cigarette lighter plug. Speaking of which I should go check on it to make sure my garage hasn't burned down.

battery question

I already looked into it. I can get one on ebay for around $30 shipped or I could just go to Sears and get one right away for $40.

battery question

I went ahead and ordered a new battery. Just as I thought it doesn't seem to be holding a charge after I switched the polarity.

For $30 I'll have the piece of mind. It could have been the original battery for all I know.

battery question

It came in the mail today.

battery question

some sizes available at wallmart...

Remember if you have a fuel injected bike then you NEED a healthy battery and charging system. Injectors use some real power also at low voltage your ECU takes a nap.

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

battery question

Here's the Sears link to their batteries:
    Sears Motorcycle Batteries - Motorcycle Batteries

My ownwers manual says that I MUST replace my battery with a mantenance-free battery ONLY or damage to my electrical system may result. The Sears list has traditional type batteries requiring the buyer to add the acid and distilled H2O and put it on a charger. You'll see this when you click on a particular battery type. The info is at the bottom of the window. Get this...it says that the maintenance-free batteries are shipped fully charged! What?? Are they precharged and sit in inventory or are they charged proir to shipping, and is it done correctly for full strength? Who knows...they aint sayin'! Maybe a call to customer service will clear that question up. One more thing....since my owners manual warned against using a non-sealed type battery....assuming thats true...check your manual too! It may also have such a warning on which type to use. It may be BS from Kawi, hoping to boost maint-free battery sales ala a partnership with battery makers. Anyone wanna venture a guess on that?

battery question

Well the battery I got was for my EX 500. The manual says nothing other than '12 V 14 Ah'. And the battery I took out of it was the kind you add acid to.

I don't see how a non-maintenance free battery could cause damage other than acid spilling but they have plugs to fill the holes and then a cap that goes over that so the plugs can't fall out. I think it's just a to buy the OEM battery for much more money. But I'm no electrical or bike expert so take what I say with a grain of salt. Maybe somone else who knows for sure can shed some light.

battery question

Ah I see. That's good to know. Thanks for sharing Kurt.