Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Pain in the ass fork work

Pain in the ass fork work

Ok, here's the story...

Last year, I was going to install a Race Tech Gold Valve while re-springing my forks. I was going to let the shop that I work at do it for me for a case of beer. They kind of shyed away from doing the valve due to the unfimiliarity with doing that kind of suspension work, so I returned it. The seals were replaced, and the springs were installed (although, the spacers were most likely cut too long, I will check by how much at the end of this build). This was pretty much good enough for last year. This year, my bike is going to be track only, and I am going to focus on racing. So I reordered the valve.

I thought pretty hard about bringing my forks to Pete at GMD, but I really wanted to do the work myself and learn about fork maintenence. I brought them back to my shop, but this time I was going to do all the work. Disassembly was easy. I took them apart and cleaned up everything real good, but since my valves, seals, and bushings didn't arrive that day, I was at a stopping point. The next day my stuff came in, and I called to get the proper shim stack and which size bleed hole I needed to drill. During my lunch, I watched the race tech video, and that seemed pretty easy.

The shop was open for another 2 and a half hours after I got off work last night, so I told my wife I was going to stay late to work on the forks. Here's where the fun really begins. I took the cartredge to the drill press to drill out the dimples holding the compression valve holder. No problems here. I push them in and remove the wire clip, but then when I try to pull them back out, they weren't budging. I tryed making a sort of slide hammer to get them out, but I didn't have long enough stroke to make any difference. I spent about an hour trying to figure this out. The directions made is seem so easy. Finally, I found some spacer in the machine shop that had an inner diameter larger then the holder, but smaller then the cartridge, so I was able to use that to make a puller.

With that behind me, I built the stack and assembled the compression valve. This was a lot easier then I thought, but the instructions don't completely identify every item. There didn't seem to be any other way to do it though, so I am confedent that it is correct. I then reassembled the cartridge. As I was finishing this, one of the guys came in turning off lights and checking the doors. I was like "holy crap, it's almost 9 already". So I packed everything up into a couple of bins and cleaned up for the night.

This morning, I came in early and started cleaning parts again getting ready to install the new seals and bushings. Out of all the sizes of seal drivers we had, the 43mm one was missing. You have got to be kidding me. 3 days into this project and I am still not finished. If it wasn't for the knowledge that I am gaining by doing this, there would be no question of where I would have taken these forks. If you just need to get the work done, save yourself the headache and take them to GMD.

Hopefully, I will find that seal driver and finish these things today.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

Re: Pain in the ass fork work

Thats what I did best money spent!

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

next time will be faster, and you'll have the confidence to make adjustments to the stack yourself. Good job.

I bring my stuff to peter when I can't otherwise move forward. He can usually do it in a matter of minutes! Knowledge is power.

Paul_E_D

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    next time will be faster, and you'll have the confidence to make adjustments to the stack yourself. Good job.

I bring my stuff to peter when I can't otherwise move forward. He can usually do it in a matter of minutes! Knowledge is power.
    We don't charge for what we do, we charge for what we know.

BTW there are many, many ways to install the valves wrong. Just when I think I've seen every possible screw up, some barn-yard genius proves that there is no limit to human stupidity.......

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

We found the 43mm driver, and the reassembly went incident free. The preload spacer was way too long as I figured.

You are a braver man than I am

I don't even know for sure what Pete did to my forks. Well I do have an invoice, but for all I know it could be part numbers for them pissing in it

Quote Originally Posted by gmdboston View Post
    We don't charge for what we do, we charge for what we know.

And if I charged that way I would be broke!

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

I don't even know for sure what Pete did to my forks. Well I do have an invoice, but for all I know it could be part numbers for them pissing in it

Check your invoice, it's synthetic weasel piss. Well worth it.....

And if I charged that way I would be broke!

So are you saying you could lose a game of checkers to a bowl of jello?????

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

Well in that case does penske fill their shocks with it, or is that extra? Only 3 out of 10 times the jello wins

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~