Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Bike has slight clunk or click when slowing moderately to hard with front brake.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Bike has slight clunk or click when slowing moderately to hard with front brake.

2001 ZX9R with 101,000 miles. Bike has "normal' cartridge forks, not upside down.

It's not the steering head bearings. I know this for sure. They are relatively new and tightening then (even to the point that they are over-tightened) makes absolutely no difference.

Both calipers are tight and both rotors are tight.

Fork clamp bolts are tight.

Axle is tight.

Front wheel bearings are new.

Thinking the (original) fork bushings are worn out after so many miles, but open to suggestions.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Bike has slight clunk or click when slowing moderately to hard with front brake.

What are the chances you are experiencing the brake pads shifting on the slide pins?

Re: Bike has slight clunk or click when slowing moderately to hard with front brake.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    What are the chances you are experiencing the brake pads shifting on the slide pins?
    Could be, They are cheap aftermarket pads. I will check that. Thanks, had not considered that as a possibility.

When you say slowing are you talking 60-30 or 30-0? The reason I ask is that my 03 zx6r has 8 brake pads for the front wheel alone and it's always been a bit clunky but more of an on off type thing that I chalked up to the hh pads I run. Basically there is little give when slowing to a stop so the bike feels "clunky", is this what you are describing? I never thought it was a big deal or worrisome but I'm subscribing to this thread because I hope it's not a bigger issue.

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    When you say slowing are you talking 60-30 or 30-0? The reason I ask is that my 03 zx6r has 8 brake pads for the front wheel alone and it's always been a bit clunky but more of an on off type thing that I chalked up to the hh pads I run. Basically there is little give when slowing to a stop so the bike feels "clunky", is this what you are describing? I never thought it was a big deal or worrisome but I'm subscribing to this thread because I hope it's not a bigger issue.
    I don't really feel it much, I hear it. It's a sharp metallic click, about the same a when a socket head cap screw loosens suddenly.

It typically clicks as I get down below 20 MPH and am braking for a stop. Sometimes it clicks just as I am about to stop, sometimes sooner.

Mine only has 4 pads.

Last edited by stoinkythepig; 07-14-13 at 08:39 PM.

Stoinky- my ZX9R makes the same noise. Check and relube pads/ pins. GL!

Chains that are not adj lubed and cared for do that also....they will slap off the swing arm

My superhawk was doing the same thing back in the day. It turned out to be the fork bushings were worn and the tubes were binding instead of sliding.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

I think my bike is doing that now, I always believed it was my chain because its on its way out

I ordered new fork bushings and seals. Will swap them out when they arrive and hope it sorts out the issue.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

WTF? I just had my forks done, this issue was there both before and after on my ZRX. Am pretty sure it's the brake pads, but w/ those miles if your forks haven't been done recently they surely need it.

CCS/LRRS #83

I played around with the brakes. Did not make a difference. The fork bushings have 101,000 bumpy road miles on them. I imagine they are worn some...