Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bike update

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Re: Bike update

Quote Originally Posted by nhtodd View Post
    Alrighty guys now that I have put some test miles on the girl. Had to put a new battery in her today and gave her her first full tank of super even hooked up the alarm that came with her. I got a tuning issue. At 5.5 grand and what works out to be 55 mph she has a huge stumble in the throttle sounds like she's starving for fuel then it gets to about 6 grand maybe a little more and she cleans out and goes like a bat outta hell. Only does it in 3rd gear and fourth at those rpms above or below its great. Any ideas on where I should start looking? Other than this minor issue I'm one happy camper.
    Is it modified? Sure sounds like a fuel mixture issue. If it has an aftermarket exhaust, slip on, or pod filters, the stock jetting probably won't work. If it does not have the stock jetting, the non-stock jetting might be a mess.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bike Junky

Nope stoinky not modified stock exhaust and a stock replacement uni air filter. Pretty sure the carbs are bone stock as well.

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Bike Junky

I'm pretty sure its a mixture issue just not sure what jets would be causing it and exactly how to rectify it. Maybe I need a jet kit?

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nhtodd View Post
    I'm pretty sure its a mixture issue just not sure what jets would be causing it and exactly how to rectify it. Maybe I need a jet kit?
    Not if it's stock. It'll run fine if the jetting is stock and the carbs are in good working order. I can't recall, have the carbs been cleaned?

If a pilot jet is a little clogged, it'll run poorly until it transitions into the main jet. Since it runs OK for the most part, you might have some luck with a tank full of Techron treated fuel. The stuff seems to do a good job of dissolving crud that plugs jets, as long as they are flowing some fuel, and it sounds like yours are.

Bike Junky

Yeah that was the other thing I was thinking was that it was just a little something I missed when I cleaned the carbs. I'll have to pick up a bottle of techron to put in the tank. Yeah she runs great everywhere else except that part.

Ride On,
    Todd W.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12