Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Bike wont continue to run HELP please

Bike wont continue to run HELP please

Ok So i sit on this site all day everyday at work and see these threads all the time, but never one that pertains to my situation. Excuse this being lenthy because im going to try to explain EVERYTHING.

I have an 09 Cbr 600rr, and the battery died on me a few weeks ago. I jumped the battery with my girlfriends car. Bike started, rode it home about 35 mins in the rain.
    So now comes today... I have not been able to ride for about 2 to 2 and 1/2 weeks due to work and random life crap. I go to start the bike, and there is no charge guage cluster wont even start to run its cycle. I hook it up to the battery charger we had at my house, running 12 volts 2 amps, kept it on for about 5 mins, I go to turn the key, guage cluster turns on rpm guage goes to about 1k and everything stops and it drops back down to no power, I then try running the battery charger at 12volts 20 amps. same thing. finally i say **** it thinking the battery is just dead and i cant really **** it up further, so i cranked the battery charger to 12volts 240 amps, Bike starts right up, when i press the starter button, but when i let my thumb off the starter it dies. Tried this method a few times to trouble shoot and see if i can trouble shoot anything myself (Keep in mind i know the VERY basics but im farrrrr from a gearhead or on any of your's technical level) Tried this a few times, bike will run for as long as i have my thumb on the starter button, tried starting with no throttle mid throttle and full throttle but no matter the throttle positioning the bike starts perfectly fine and then shuts down the second i take my thumb off the starter.

Please tell me someone here can make me look stupid and let it be a simple problem. Remember im not to tech savy but any help is greatly appreciated compared to just the $100 an hour the stealership is going to charge me.

Is it just a dead battery? is this something bigger?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Black/Green 09 600RR (street)
    03 600rr (Track)

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Anyone here ever had to do an emergency figure "8"?
    Quote Originally Posted by KawiSmurf View Post
    Yah, I was being chased by bee. He was too quick to lose on the first u-turn, but I ditched him on the second one.

Re: Bike wont continue to run HELP please

Your battery is part of the circuit. Did you really put 240 amps to it? What kind of charger does that? I would guess its the battery first. Do you have something that is always on that drains it? Alarm? Light?

Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

I hope that 240 amps was on demand, because if it wasn't then you probably won't like what happened.
    Have you checked all of the fuses and safety switches?
    Was the car running at the time that it was jumped?
    Have you load tested the battery?

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Haha its my grandfathers oldschool black craftsmen battery charger, Yes i put 240 to it i figured it couldnt do any more than screw up a batt that may already be screwed.
    And NO the bike is BONE stock, no alarm no hid's i honestly left it ALL winter with no trickle charger and it started first try this season.

03 600rr (Track)

Yah, I was being chased by bee. He was too quick to lose on the first u-turn, but I ditched him on the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkilm View Post
    Haha its my grandfathers oldschool black craftsmen battery charger, Yes i put 240 to it i figured it couldnt do any more than screw up a batt that may already be screwed.
    And NO the bike is BONE stock, no alarm no hid's i honestly left it ALL winter with no trickle charger and it started first try this season.
    The problem is if you tried to dump 240 amps into the battery, a shit ton may end up going to the ECU if it is a path of lower resistance than the other things around it. If that happened, you're in trouble. My guess before you did that was that the battery was toast. I suggest getting it load tested and replacing it if it fails before doing anything else.

'90 Yamaha XT350

is the fuel pump priming when you turn the key?

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Just because there's 240 amps available, that does not mean the circuit will draw it.

Assuming the battery connections are clean and tight, I think you need a new battery for sure. Put one in and then see if it runs normally.

So thats way too much juice, but 5 min at 2 amps is too short. charge the battery overnight or at least a few hours. Try to avoid car jumping or any excessive amps. Check all the fuses. Do yourself a favor and join the cbr forum. You should have a repair manual or download a pdf of one. You may have fried something major like the ecu, which would hurt your feelings to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    Just because there's 240 amps available, that does not mean the circuit will draw it.

Assuming the battery connections are clean and tight, I think you need a new battery for sure. Put one in and then see if it runs normally.
    I would definitely hope and expect that to be the case, but still not a great idea to hook it up without knowing for sure. I also worry that the car was running at the time of the jump, both of which could, at least theoretically, create an over-voltage situation for the computer.

'90 Yamaha XT350

I have a good used battery I'll sell ya cheap. $25 and its the correct one.

Remove the battery from the bike.

Do a 2 amp charge for 8 to 10 hrs.

Test voltage. Should be 12vdc

Wait 2 hrs and test voltage again.

If the reading drops more than half a volt then you're likely looking at a spent battery.

Hahaha Brett if you Continue to help me out with this bike you might own it soon! Im at work right now, but i woke up early to take out the battery and after work im going to get it load tested. Im Hoping the batter is just done and its a simple fix like that, im already going nuts not being able to ride. I have a feeling that if it is the battery im just going to buy it tonight, rather than cruise all the way down to boston. But thank you brett, and thank you everyone else for the information.

03 600rr (Track)