Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

brake bleeder kits

Re: brake bleeder kits

I picked up an "EZ bleeder", which is effectively a large syringe and some tubing, and you can either reverse bleed the system by injecting fluid into the bleeder, or just draw fluid out. I haven't used it yet, but I've heard good things about it from reliable sources. Plus it was like $16. I hated my vacuum bleeder, it never worked well enough to make the hassle of using it worthwhile.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Lifer

So it sounds like a power bleeder is the way to go, unless you've got the help available to do it the old way.
    Does that the old way even work with modern ABS units? I've heard of guys having trouble.. but never bled an ABS system yet.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    So it sounds like a power bleeder is the way to go, unless you've got the help available to do it the old way.
    Does that the old way even work with modern ABS units? I've heard of guys having trouble.. but never bled an ABS system yet.
    I was able to bleed my brakes like normal, however the ABS unit itself could not be bled without a special piece of software. Your system is likely different though. There should be plenty of online experience with the system from the Strom.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Lifer

I was actually more worried about the cage. Now that I think of it, I have a software/hardware/OBD thingie that I think does have some sort of ABS function.

Last time I bled brakes I gravity bled them. But that was on an old car that didn't have ABS. I hear that doesn't work so well on newer cars.

I keep forgetting how complicated the new 'strom is. Gotta get me a shop manual.

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    I picked up an "EZ bleeder", which is effectively a large syringe and some tubing, and you can either reverse bleed the system by injecting fluid into the bleeder, or just draw fluid out. I haven't used it yet, but I've heard good things about it from reliable sources. Plus it was like $16. I hated my vacuum bleeder, it never worked well enough to make the hassle of using it worthwhile.
    Just used (1) 60 ml syringe to force fluid from caliper up to resi and I found forcing it thru system fast works better for pushing stuck air bubbles up to resi. I have a 10ml syringe to suck out old fluid from resi as it gets close to overflowing so I don't contaminate new fluid. This was the only way that worked on the rear brake of my Tuono that is notorious for being difficult to bleed. I tried the mitivac the week b-4 for over an hour with no improvement what so ever. Not knocking the mitivac cuz it worked very well on my FZ1 but the syringe worked better, easier & most importantly cheeper.

I have a couple of systems. One i got from sears which consists of tubing,fittings and a covered container. I used it a couple of times and although basic it works well (old school). The second one was from HF. I use this one for all kinds of stuff. It is very much like the mighty vac but a bit cheaper. I have used it on all my brakes since buying it and also have used it to check for air/fluid leaks and to drain fluids in tough places like my hydrostatic trans in my lawn tractor. It comes also with a container and tubing/fittings.Definitely money well spent.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...kit-92474.html

Last edited by ZX11D; 08-14-11 at 10:19 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12