Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Brake discs

Brake discs

I think it may be time to replace my front discs. Toward the end of last season, I was getting a bit of a shake/vibration while braking harder than normal. I took a look around and people say stock/stock style discs are better than those wave ones in performance and longitivity.

1. What else could cause shake/vibration
    2. Do I have to buy new discs or coule I someone remedy the stock discs
    3. Where else could I buy OEM/OEM quality discs for less than $350/disc that I've found online.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Re: Brake discs

Shake in the lever or shake in the bars?

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

If I remember right, it's in the bars

Last edited by SwiftTone; 02-22-13 at 04:45 PM.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Warped rotors or stuck pistons?

I've always bought used rotors from ebay and had no problems at all. Just look for a reputable seller with good feedback and lower mileage parts. I think I only paid about $100-150 per set.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

you can also send out your stock ones to be straightened for like $20-30. I was putting my bike on the front stand this summer and it slipped off and the rotor got the brunt of the bikes weight and is rubbing like an asian massager. I'll be pulling mine off and sending them to this guy in the spring.

Wills Rim Repair - http://willsrimrepair.com.... i know this says rim repair but he also straighten's rotors...

Also if you're bike is around 5-6 years old, a caliper re-build is very simple and will fix sticky pistions if that is the issue and not the rotor. I will warn you though, bleeding brake fuild through totally empty brake lines and calipers can be a wicked biatch to get all the bubbles out ont he first try. took me a little bit of bleeding... riding.. then bleeding to get all the air out.

Last edited by scubasteveRR; 02-24-13 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    you can also send out your stock ones to be straightened for like $20-30. I was putting my bike on the front stand this summer and it slipped off and the rotor got the brunt of the bikes weight and is rubbing like an asian massager. I'll be pulling mine off and sending them to this guy in the spring.

Wills Rim Repair - http://willsrimrepair.com.... i know this says rim repair but he also straighten's rotors...

Also if you're bike is around 5-6 years old, a caliper re-build is very simple and will fix sticky pistions if that is the issue and not the rotor. I will warn you though, bleeding brake fuild through totally empty brake lines and calipers can be a wicked biatch to get all the bubbles out ont he first try. took me a little bit of bleeding... riding.. then bleeding to get all the air out.
    I've sent rotors to Will's before. he does good work and for only $10 its worth it.

you're right about filling empty calipers and lines. if I had to do it again I'd get something like this http://www.sears.com/tektro-hydrauli...7&blockType=G7 and fill the calipers first before putting the lines on.

Last edited by CBR929RE; 02-25-13 at 11:36 AM.

Lifer

With cars, a lot of "warped" rotors that generate vibration is just uneven build up on the rotor surface. Fixed by a burn in (aka bedding). I imagine the same is true with bikes?

nedirtriders.com

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    With cars, a lot of "warped" rotors that generate vibration is just uneven build up on the rotor surface. Fixed by a burn in (aka bedding). I imagine the same is true with bikes?
    Sometimes, it depends... air in the system or a sticking piston in the caliper can cause vibrations, as can deposits. Typically some scotch brite and a good ride with hard breaking can tell you if it's deposits on the rotors. Unfortunately I have the same issue and am going with new EBC XC fully floating rotors. You can also try a floating button kit.

CCS/LRRS #83