Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Brake light not working

Brake light not working

Hi, I'm new to the site and I'll be sure to make a formal intro soon. Anyway, I have an 01 R1 and I'm trying to get the bike inspected but my brake is not working. It lights up when turned on and the integrated blinkers work but the brake light does not light up regardless of which brake is engaged. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance - chris

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Brake light not working

Has it ever worked in the past or is this a fresh install that doesn't work properly?

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

I just bought the bike a few weeks ago. I pulled the bulbs just now and they are LED bulbs. Other than that, I think everything else back there is stock.

Is there any control circuitry included with the integrator that may be malfunctioning or not hooked up correctly?

Your problem could be as simple as a loose wire somewhere in your harness or a partially fried logic board in your integrator. You need to provide a lot more detail in your problem description if you expect your problem to be troubleshot over the internet.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Is there any control circuitry included with the integrator that may be malfunctioning or not hooked up correctly?

Your problem could be as simple as a loose wire somewhere in your harness or a partially fried logic board in your integrator. You need to provide a lot more detail in your problem description if you expect your problem to be troubleshot over the internet.

Honestly, i have no idea if there is. I just replaced the LED lights with regular bulbs and the foot brake works but very, very faint. You cannot see the light work when the bulbs are put back in there casing. The hand brake does not work at all. I'm going to try and get it inspected and see if they fail to notice it. I'll take a picture of all the wiring when I come back and maybe you can tell me what wires I should check.

Quote Originally Posted by GreekR1 View Post
    Honestly, i have no idea if there is. I just replaced the LED lights with regular bulbs and the foot brake works but very, very faint. You cannot see the light work when the bulbs are put back in there casing. The hand brake does not work at all. I'm going to try and get it inspected and see if they fail to notice it. I'll take a picture of all the wiring when I come back and maybe you can tell me what wires I should check.
    I am thinking BRAKE LIGHTS might be important.. but hey that's just ME !!!

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

I bet you are having a grounding issue. Be sure the ground is connected fully and go from there.

If its integrated as said above there shoulde be a modulator. Check out all the connections

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

I'm going to try and get it inspected and see if they fail to notice it.
    Welcome, you have some learning to do, grasshopper.

I'm not going to waste any time on that comment other than WTF?

Ok, I figured it out. The inspector said if my foot brake was any brighter he'd let me slide. But anyway the problem was that the piece that holds my brake lever in place was broken so when I'd press the the brake, it would not engage the switch. I ziptied it for now until I order the piece.

I knew it would fail, but I was hoping they at least give me a rejection sticker to show I tried getting it inspected. I guess they do not give out R stickers for bikes.

Now, my new battery just died. Kind of weird that it died so fast. I only had it on for about 5-10 minutes while I was checking the wiring and I even started it up for a few just to make sure the battery was dead. Now, nothing lights up other than my alarm.

EDIT: still not quite sure why the foot brake is so dim.

EDIT: still not quite sure why the foot brake is so dim.
    Likely broken wires.

There might be some strands still intact in side the wire insulation that are able to transmit electriciy but I'll be willing to bet you get a high resistance reading if you put a meter on the wires.