Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cam Tower Crack?

Cam Tower Crack?

Really? *Waits for next obscure motard problem*

Now my question is..I had heard that the top of the head is mated to the individual cam tower. I have a spare cam tower. Could I put that on and be fine?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

They are a matching pair on some bikes. Did you loosen the bolts in the right order, bit by bit.

I would give it a try with the spare you have.

Re: Cam Tower Crack?

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

They are a matching pair on some bikes. Did you loosen the bolts in the right order, bit by bit.

I would give it a try with the spare you have.
    It was cracked before I loosened it. But this cam tower has been on and off a bunch of times. (Have to take it off to adjust the valves.)

And thanks. I'll try the spare tomorrow. The bike wouldn't even start at the end of the last weekend. So I am hoping this is why.

Banned

I'd give it a shot if it was my bike. Not on a customers, but my own, yes.

Posting Freak

I'd be careful. They are line bored on most bikes and the cam cap needs to stay with the head. It might work but....

If it's machined as a matched set, no way. Not worth the risk, IMO.

Pardon my ignorance here, but I thought they were always machined together. How else would you make it?

Usually the shop manual points this out in multiple places, i.e. make sure you put the caps back on in the same places you found them

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Christian -

I know I said "no way" earlier but if you plan on using your spare parts anyway I highly suggest using Plastigauge to spec out the tolerances of the bearing surfaces before subjecting any of those parts to the stresses of racing. What you spend time-wise will potentially save you $$$ if there ends up being clearance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post
    Pardon my ignorance here, but I thought they were always machined together. How else would you make it?

Usually the shop manual points this out in multiple places, i.e. make sure you put the caps back on in the same places you found them
    The shop manual might not point it out in this case because it is a unicam motor so the assembly can only go on one way.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Christian -

I know I said "no way" earlier but if you plan on using your spare parts anyway I highly suggest using Plastigauge to spec out the tolerances of the bearing surfaces before subjecting any of those parts to the stresses of racing. What you spend time-wise will potentially save you $$$ if there ends up being clearance issues.
    And how would I measure this? Install the new cam tower and torque it down? And then use the gauges to measure?

What is there to loose by trying? If they are matched, his head is toast anyways. If they aren't, it should work?

Not knowing about these smaller engines, but are oversized bearings available? If so, you can put the other cap on, have it line honed to spec of the oversized bearings and you should be good.
    As to why a cam cap broke, that's poor quality. What bike is this on?

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    What is there to loose by trying? If they are matched, his head is toast anyways. If they aren't, it should work?
    The question is more of what else could be damaged if the cam cap not being matched causes a catastrophic failure of some type that takes out the piston and cylinder etc.

Joel

Engine Dynamics can fix that. They weld and re-bore for like 250 or something.

Paul_E_D

Wait, it's a Honda. Shouldn't Soichiro magically appear if you rub the cam three times while peeing on an expansion chamber to fix the bike for you?

Just to clarify itd not a cap, its a one piece assembly. The whole tower is one piece.

same same.

Paul_E_D

Banned

Guys, don't over think it. It's holding the camshafts down, it's not like it's rod journals or something. There are no bearings.

Christian, assemble the cams and cap with no camchain/gears (I'm not sure which that motor has) and spin the cams. Do they spin smoothly but with no up/down play? Then don't worry. Run it for a few minutes and check it out again. Lube the cam journals with assembly grease when you assemble.

If the cams feel slightly tight but you can turn them with a little effort, assemble the cap to the head with no cams and hone the 'holes' slightly, a little at a time, until the cams will turn smoothly in there with slight drag.

If you want peace of mind, use plastiguage to check the gap between cam and cap/head and check it against the spec. If it's within spec or close, don't sweat it. Just run the thing.

If it were rod journals I would not take any chances but the cam journals aren't taking the rapid change of direction forces that the rod journals are, not even close. The only force acting against the cam journals is the valve springs.

My $0.02.

There are bearings, Derek. Other than the lobes, the surfaces within the retainer are the bearings.

Too much play and the cam walks, either side to side or up and down or both. Neither scenario leads to a reliable engine. Might not be an issue with such a narrow engine but I'm envisioning the camshaft oscillating if the clearances are too loose or burning up if it's too tight.

To each their own but it's not something I'd consider without spec'ing the tolerances.

If the exhaust valve closest to that bearing is getting too hot due to lack of back pressure in the exhaust, it could of been close to sticking shut and stressed the tower.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Is this the one I sold you or yours?

I'd say try out the spare if everything else looks good. A honda will still win the race if you used 10w-40 kitty litter.

Last edited by Awesome; 09-29-11 at 10:26 AM.
    It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Things are getting wacky in this thread. That cam has roller bearings. The fracture is likely due to vibration transmitted to the cam from the non counterbalanced crank. These towers are likely matched sets with the head itself. If one is slightly out with the other, these things would wear out crazy fast.

Paul_E_D

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs
    There are bearings, Derek. Other than the lobes, the surfaces within the retainer are the bearings.

Too much play and the cam walks, either side to side or up and down or both. Neither scenario leads to a reliable engine. Might not be an issue with such a narrow engine but I'm envisioning the camshaft oscillating if the clearances are too loose or burning up if it's too tight.

To each their own but it's not something I'd consider without spec'ing the tolerances.
    Yea. The cam cap Surfaces are bearing surfaces, agreed. I was answering the suggestion that "next size up or down" bearings could be used. There are no pressed in bearings.

There will be no side to side movement. There cannot be with the way these parts are made. Up and down, yes. That's why you assemble and feel for play and if necessary plastiguage to check.

You will find the spec for clearance there is quite large in range. Not like rod/crank specs which are down to tenths.

One other thing Christian, be careful to set valve clearances to the loose side of spec. That's best for a race motor anyway and will help to counteract any differences in the cam cap.

The factory recommendations to buy head and cap together is based on having a 10 year reliable motor. Chances of this motor not needing a head sometime over the next 3 or 4 years are slim being a race bike.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome
    Is this the one I sold you or yours?

I'd say try out the spare if everything else looks good. A honda will still win the race if you used 10w-40 kitty litter.
    I agree with this fwiw.

I'm no expert on this particular motor but when it comes to cams you can usually feel and see pretty quickly when something isn't right. Wanna build a race motor to be reliable? Worry more about balance and rod bearings than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Just to clarify itd not a cap, its a one piece assembly. The whole tower is one piece.
    So the tower assembly includes the top cap, bottom cap, both upper and lower bearings, and the cam?
    If that's the case, then you are not changing the line bore and should be fine.

Yamaha

Isn't that cam tower a one piece thing that holds the cam, both sides, by sliding it in one end with no caps, just holes? Isn't that a replacable part that you can buy for like $90?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast