Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Carb syncing anyone?

Carb syncing anyone?

Hey everyone, just picked up a "new" bike, a 97 Suzuki VZ800 marauder. It's in great shape and has just over 6,000 original miles but from the sounds of it the carbs are out of sync. I have zero experience with carbs so try to bear with me. Anyways, when i let off the throttle i seem to get a lot of popping out of one cylinder which, based on my research, tells me that carb may be running lean? I'm also assuming that if one carb is running lean and the other isn't then they need to be synced? A few other stats on the bike, it has dual straight pipes, i don't think it has been jetted and it still has all the factory emissions crap and air filters, etc. I'm really just not sure where to start and to me carbs are overwhelming. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

TLR man may be interested and is very carb savvy.

Corey

Re: Carb syncing anyone?

Carb sync won't help a lean conditon. Properly jetting and correct air screw adjustment will. Add to that the air pump that is still on the bike and all this put together causes your popping. Quite honestly, in this application, the OEM air filters are desireable since the engine is not heavily modded and does not require aftermarket filters, IMO, so I'd leave those alone regardless of the straight pipe setup.

In layman's terms, a carb sync evens out the intake pulse as well as throttle response.

Based on your location, Mark (TLRMan) is who you wanna contact.

Last edited by butcher bergs; 11-03-11 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gixxer View Post
    Hey everyone, just picked up a "new" bike, a 97 Suzuki VZ800 marauder. It's in great shape and has just over 6,000 original miles but from the sounds of it the carbs are out of sync. I have zero experience with carbs so try to bear with me. Anyways, when i let off the throttle i seem to get a lot of popping out of one cylinder which, based on my research, tells me that carb may be running lean? I'm also assuming that if one carb is running lean and the other isn't then they need to be synced? A few other stats on the bike, it has dual straight pipes, i don't think it has been jetted and it still has all the factory emissions crap and air filters, etc. I'm really just not sure where to start and to me carbs are overwhelming. Any help would be appreciated.
    my tech is unreal at carb jetting and tuning. i can pick up your bike if needed and my rate is $65 per hr compared to $85 and up at other shops. feel free to give my cell a call to discuss what needs to be done in more detail. y cell is 774-200-6395. my name is Rich

Degsy: "i never had red hair"

some people crash because it is out of their control
    others crash because They are out of control

http://www.landricscustoms.com

First off sync controls right off idle so doubt that is ur big issue. If the carbs are clean & jetted correctly that I would check for exhaust leaks & also check the intake boots. The boots r common issue on these bikes cuz they dry out over time. Easy to check just start bike & spray carb clean around intake boots & see if the bike rev's up. If so boots need replace or resealed.
    Good luck

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Straight pipes? Get rid of them.

Well i appreciate all the responses. It's starting to sound more like i have even less of a clue as to what i'm doing but i'm going to try. I have figured out how to remove the PAIR valve(aka emissions control) which, from what i understand, injects air to intentionally lean the carbs. So i think the first plan of attack is to remove that. After that it sounds like i need to tune the carbs before syncing them or do you sync them first? Unfortunately i'm working with a very very minimal budget so unless i can bring it someplace and pay with a 30 then i'm going to have to figure it out on my own. As for removing the straight pipes, that's not going to happen. I love the look of them and no company makes them for this bike.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gixxer
    Well i appreciate all the responses. It's starting to sound more like i have even less of a clue as to what i'm doing but i'm going to try. I have figured out how to remove the PAIR valve(aka emissions control) which, from what i understand, injects air to intentionally lean the carbs. So i think the first plan of attack is to remove that. After that it sounds like i need to tune the carbs before syncing them or do you sync them first? Unfortunately i'm working with a very very minimal budget so unless i can bring it someplace and pay with a 30 then i'm going to have to figure it out on my own. As for removing the straight pipes, that's not going to happen. I love the look of them and no company makes them for this bike.
    Oh. The pipes are straight in design, not straight as in "zero baffles". ?

Lifer

If it's not too hard to get at, what about checking the plugs? Might indicate a specific problem'ed cylinder to focus on. As for the recommendation to check the boots for leaks, I think this could easily by done by spraying a little starter fluid directly near them (while keeping away from the air intake) to see if RPM's jump?

nedirtriders.com

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post

Straight pipes? Get rid of them.

Had a similar issue with the 97 CBR900RR I have. Mark (TLRMan) did what he could to set the mixture and synced the 4 carbs, but it still had a flat spot down low. It wasn't until I replaced the aging packing in the Two Brothers pipe that the lean condition fully straightened out.

You need some back-pressure in your exhaust.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by The Snowman; 11-03-11 at 12:22 PM.
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Ok i just want to clarify. The pipes are straight in design but they DO have baffles in there. I already know it's the front cylinder but in order to get to the plug or the carb on that cylinder i have to remove the tank which i have not had time to do yet so i have not been able to check that plug. It is on the top of the list of things to do, hopefully tomorrow.

I would assume that 15 year old carbs are full of crap and need cleaning
    before any changes

Dried O rings and gaskets, blocked air and pilot jets

Get a gumout dip can, look in the tank for rust as well as dissasemble the spigot