Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CCT(L) Replacement

CCT(L) Replacement

Enough procrastination... need to change the CCT (OR CCTL, not sure which is correct) on my F4i. Getting the "bee's in a can" sound between 4.5 and 7k RPM.

I don't want to go the route of using a manual one. Just a personal preference....would like to use the most up to date oem replacement.

Who, or what shop, has experience doing this on the North Shore. I know there's people/shops out west of me and south that do this, but I don't want to make the drive down there (would rather build a relationship with someone close).

I live in Newburyport area, if you got a recommendation let me know.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: CCT(L) Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Kazinator View Post
    Enough procrastination... need to change the CCT (OR CCTL, not sure which is correct) on my F4i. Getting the "bee's in a can" sound between 4.5 and 7k RPM.

I don't want to go the route of using a manual one. Just a personal preference....would like to use the most up to date oem replacement.

Who, or what shop, has experience doing this on the North Shore. I know there's people/shops out west of me and south that do this, but I don't want to make the drive down there (would rather build a relationship with someone close).

I live in Newburyport area, if you got a recommendation let me know.
    Degsy or Butcher Bergs

degsy or butcher bergs

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/S273) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Degsy may be a far ride but he knows f4i's very well

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/S273) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Degsy may be a far ride but he knows f4i's very well
    Any idea what town he is in?

Taunton

Corey

Holy shit...yeah I definitely want to try and stay local ( Taunton is almost a 2 hour drive for me)

There's got to be someone/a shop on the North Shore that has experience with this. Keep the ideas coming.

Any shop can do this, it's not a huge thing to do, f4i just happens to be a pain and would probably cost more then it's worth at a dealership

Corey

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Someone was quoted some crazy cheap price like $140 for Seacoast to do it a while back. That was f4i also.

Yeah that was me

That was my bad on that one..... because over the phone they told me one thing, but once I went in person that price disappeared. Seacoast ( in Newbury Ma, not the sponsor that is on this site) is only a few minutes away from me but I wouldn't get anything done there except my inspection sticker.

Hopefully someone local in my area has made the change and could at least give me some tips, or I could throw a couple bucks there way to help me out.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Haha. No problem. It's not a very tough job but can be frustrating. Get a set of ball ended Allen keys to reach the mounting bolts. Be methodical and stay calm and you can do this.

From what I read, to get to the bolts you need a 1/2" ratchet, an extension, an angle attachment, and a 5mm alan key.

Is that correct?

Banned

That setup would work.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kazinator View Post
    From what I read, to get to the bolts you need a 1/2" ratchet, an extension, an angle attachment, and a 5mm alan key.

Is that correct?
    1/4" drive tools make it a little easier.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Shit I confused myself already....is it 1/4 or 1/2? (I want to make sure I have all the tools before I take everything apart)

Banned

1/4 is better

Thanks for your help Degsy...

By the way, does anyone know the part number for the most up-to-date OEM cct? Searching around the internet gives me different answers.

Up to 2002 is 14520-MBW-J24

I have done one of these on same bike. It is tight in there. make sure you have extensions and wobbles and you should be fine. Its not hard, just seems a little time consuming.

Order up the cctl and gasket today.

Also tracked down a 1/4" drive, the extension, the angle attachment, now I am on a hunt for a 5mm allen key socket to fit 1/4".

Home depot, nada. Lowe's, nada. Trying sears today....fingers crossed. Assuming sears is going to be a strikeout, anyone know where to get one?

Banned

Ball ended! You can get them at sears. Might be 3/8 drive so you will need an adapter. They are about 4" long but the ball end helps get in there.

AutoZone may have something as well.

Went to sears....they had the 5mm allen...only downside is it came within a set.

To get the 5mm hex for the 1/4" drive I had to buy a set of 7 that cost me $30.

3 hours later, I finished replacing the CCTL. And now I can understand why people say changing this f'ing sucks. That was a ball of frustration.

The rattle is gone, just hoping it doesn't crap out on me again in a couple thousand miles.

Thanks butcher and degs for the info.

Banned

YAY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast