Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

chain installation..

Lifer

chain installation..

I bought a motion pro rivet tool ($30) which I'm super glad I did, I can't see how I could have gotten it together with vise grips as I was advised.

Any tips on getting that link absolutely flawlessly riveted? Mine is not kinked, and when the chain is under tension it straightens out as it comes off the sprockets just like the others, but if the chain is not tensioned it does not rotate as freely as the standard links if you rotate the links with your hands.

I'm guessing there is a way more expensive tool out there that can press both pins at once to ensure the plates are perfectly parallel? Anyone seen one? I didn't find one online.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

chain installation..

Nope, just gotta be meticulous when you're doing it to ensure you rivet the plate on evenly.

I know a little about everything, and alot about nothing.

Lifer

chain installation..

Yah I spent a good deal of time getting it as precise as possible.

I'm going to see how it goes, in any case I don't think that link has any more resistance then all the links on my old chain had.

Sucks that the chains are so expensive. The procedure is almost the same as bicycle chains but bicycle chains are so cheap I can just toss them any time a link is not perfect.. no way I'm doing that with a MC chain!

Just Registered

chain installation..

I have a DID KM500 that does the task you are asking about I think...it's sitting in my shed at the moment, wanna borrow it?

Lifer

chain installation..

Maybe next time.. I got it set up pretty nice.. the chain/wheel spins quite nicely when it's up on the stand in neutral now.

My freakin clutch (hydraulic) burped fluid when I had everything apart though. (ARGH!) I had to completely replace the fluid and it took a long time to bleed. The instructions basically said to plan on doing it but I thought I was going to get away without doing it.

chain installation..

the only way to get it perfect is to use a micrometer.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Lifer

chain installation..

Hey Somestrangeguy.. can I borrow that tool sometime?

I may buy one for next time but at the moment I'd rather not spend the money.

All I need to do is flare/stake the pins so maybe I could ride over sometime and do it quick.. depending on where you live.

I rode about a hundred miles yesterday and everything seems to have turned out great, the new chain is very smooth and there is no sign the master link is going anywhere but I guess I'm paranoid and want to flare the pins properly.

Ben

Just Registered

chain installation..

Sure, I'm back on tour again so I'll drop you a pm with my whereabouts and schedule.

chain installation..

That KM500 is kick-ass, man.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

chain installation..

I got one of those DID tools too.

Still a virgin ... gonna be broken in sometime this year.

Anyone know what the part number for a master RIVIT link for a stock chain is?

I picked one up from someone that had less than a hundred miles on it for real cheap. (He was doing the 520 conversion thing)

I got chain and both sprockets for 75 bucks.

And yes ... that chain does have less than a hundred miles on it.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

chain installation..

I don't think it's a good idea to ride it with the pins not flared, would really suck if it came apart.

I use dial calipers to make sure the side plates have the same spacing as the other side plates; and that the spacing is the same front and back so that the plates are parallel. Kinda tedious, but really cheap; especially if you borrow the chain tool from someone on here and already own some dial calipers.

chain installation..

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    I don't think it's a good idea to ride it with the pins not flared, would really suck if it came apart.

I use dial calipers to make sure the side plates have the same spacing as the other side plates; and that the spacing is the same front and back so that the plates are parallel. Kinda tedious, but really cheap; especially if you borrow the chain tool from someone on here and already own some dial calipers.
    That is a great idea ... never thought of that.
    I do have a set of dial calipers ... as for the tool, I am willing
    to lend it out as long as I come with it.