Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Results 1 to 21 of 21

chain lube

  1. #1
    Corner Vagina roso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    ayer ma
    Age
    41
    Posts
    284

    chain lube

    so today i cleaned and lubed my chain for the first time ever
    i have 600 mi on the bike and did the cleaning and lube i have never done it before so here is the dumb question
    how do i know if i have enough lube on the chain
    and if not what can happen to it
    thanks in advance and sorry for being such a newb

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Just Registered FireFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    695

    more info...

    what kind of chain and what kind of lube are you using?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Grizzly Fuckin Adams dhuze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    woonsocket ri
    Age
    55
    Posts
    5,174

    Re: more info...

    Originally posted by FireFly
    what kind of chain and what kind of lube are you using?
    You can't even answer without asking a question

    Here is a good rule, If you have to ask it isn't enough.

    Coat the chain and your done. Later do it again. Keep it lubed it it will last longer.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

    My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

  4. #4
    Just Registered FireFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    695

    knowledge is Power

    what if he was using a lube that required the chain to be warm inorder to stick to the chain and not fly off when he rode it(ie Honda lube).? Is it an o-ring chain?Is he using chain wax or lube?
    Just trying to give good advice. Am I wrong??

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by FireFly; 04-22-06 at 10:51 PM.

  5. #5
    Corner Vagina roso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    ayer ma
    Age
    41
    Posts
    284

    chain lube

    i think it is a regular o ring chain and it is maxima lube in the areosol can

    how long will a chain last and what do they cost to replace

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #6
    The NEW hot Setup Manny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,032

    chain lube

    I dont know much, but I know that when I first lubed my chain, I used way too much, and I didn't do it when the chain was warm - result was chain lube sprayed right up the sidewall of my rear tire - no joke, right up the side like 2 inches. (wasnt a problem cause I never leaned the bike over anyhow, but it could have been).

    The basic way to do it is.

    Go for a ride, get the bike up on a rear stand, and spray it. Try your best to spray directly at the chain, as opposed to at an angle when it can get all over other parts.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Grizzly Fuckin Adams dhuze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    woonsocket ri
    Age
    55
    Posts
    5,174

    Re: knowledge is Power

    Originally posted by FireFly
    what if he was using a lube that required the chain to be warm inorder to stick to the chain and not fly off when he rode it(ie Honda lube).? Is it an o-ring chain?Is he using chain wax or lube?
    Just trying to give good advice. Am I wrong??
    See what I mean, More questions


    I ass u me d he read the can first. Did you read the can first?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

    My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

  8. #8
    Corner Vagina roso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    ayer ma
    Age
    41
    Posts
    284

    Re: Re: knowledge is Power

    Originally posted by dhuze
    See what I mean, More questions


    I ass u me d he read the can first. Did you read the can first?
    no i just grabbed the first areosol can in the house i thin it said PAM

    yes it said the chain should be warm but i had to clean the chain first so i think by the time igot to lubing it was cooled down
    if it dries out today i will go for a short burst and re lube
    thanks for the help

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Grizzly Fuckin Adams dhuze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    woonsocket ri
    Age
    55
    Posts
    5,174

    Re: Re: Re: knowledge is Power

    Originally posted by roso
    no i just grabbed the first areosol can in the house i thin it said PAM

    ...........
    See there's the problem. Pam is not a lubricant. It makes stuff NOT stick. If your quick you can cook lunch on your chain when you stop riding

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

    My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

  10. #10
    FUCK OFF Hardcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    norwood ma
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,908

    Re: knowledge is Power

    Originally posted by FireFly

    Just trying to give good advice. Am I wrong??
    no not wrong----just an idiot !

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #11
    FUCK OFF Hardcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    norwood ma
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,908

    chain lube

    Originally posted by Manny
    I dont know much,

    aint that the truth !

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    69
    Posts
    16,349

    chain lube

    I use ATF

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

  13. #13
    FUCK OFF Hardcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    norwood ma
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,908

    Re: chain lube

    Originally posted by roso

    how do i know if i have enough lube on the chain
    I am a chain specialist + actually, the correct way to lube ANY chain is:

    1)warm up chain by either riding bike OR using a propane only torch
    2)empty the entire contents of the can onto chain evenly
    3)wait 5 minutes (to soak in + excess to drip off)
    4)completely dry the chain lube using a haidryer set on the medium warm (not hot) setting
    5)let bike sit for 6 hours
    6)immediately ride bike for 100 miles (no more no less)
    7)let bike sit for another 6 hours
    8)repeat the above process


    this process MUST be done exactly like stated above OR the chain May explode

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Don't bother me! R7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Yamaha Blvd
    Age
    49
    Posts
    14,186

    chain lube

    clean and lube your chain with wd40 before every ride and it should look nice and last for 25k miles

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

    A Big Powerful Sportbike

  15. #15
    KB KB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Manchester NH
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,171

    Re: knowledge is Power

    Originally posted by FireFly
    what if he was using a lube that required the chain to be warm inorder to stick to the chain and not fly off when he rode it(ie Honda lube).? Is it an o-ring chain?Is he using chain wax or lube?
    Just trying to give good advice. Am I wrong??

    I have some advice: KILL YOURSELF!

    KB

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS/CCS EX #13

    GMD COMPUTRACK

  16. #16
    KB KB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Manchester NH
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,171

    chain lube

    I will add some usefull chain lube tips to this thread.

    Clean the chain with Kerosene not Wd-40. Wd-40 is a solvent that over time will detiorate o and x rings.

    Clean the fuck out of it with a stiff bristle brush and some kerosene. The hit the chain with some simple green or that purple degreaser or whatever the fak it is.

    Put the thing up on a stand start it up and put it in gear. Hose the crap out of the chain till it rinses clean and all the gunk will be off of it.

    Get out your air compressor and run the bike in gear again and blow all the water and gunk out of the chain.

    Now when you lube the chain make sure you lube the INSIDE of the chain where it actually touches the sprockets. Take her for a spin and warm up the chain.

    Lube it again when you get back then adjust it.

    Viola all done.

    Most important is to lube the INSIDE of the chain. You see these guys lubing the back of the chain behind the rear sprocket. last i knew the sprockets contaced the chain on the inside. hence where the lube should go.

    Good luck.

    BTW if you loose a finger with this method I am not liable!

    KB

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS/CCS EX #13

    GMD COMPUTRACK

  17. #17
    Corner Vagina roso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    ayer ma
    Age
    41
    Posts
    284

    chain lube

    thanks this is pretty much what i did minus the compressor and stand
    I dont think i will use wd40 i hear too many mixed things about it

    thanks for the help
    and should i be emptying the can onto the chain or just coat it
    Originally posted by rmbbikes
    I will add some usefull chain lube tips to this thread.

    Clean the chain with Kerosene not Wd-40. Wd-40 is a solvent that over time will detiorate o and x rings.

    Clean the fuck out of it with a stiff bristle brush and some kerosene. The hit the chain with some simple green or that purple degreaser or whatever the fak it is.

    Put the thing up on a stand start it up and put it in gear. Hose the crap out of the chain till it rinses clean and all the gunk will be off of it.

    Get out your air compressor and run the bike in gear again and blow all the water and gunk out of the chain.

    Now when you lube the chain make sure you lube the INSIDE of the chain where it actually touches the sprockets. Take her for a spin and warm up the chain.

    Lube it again when you get back then adjust it.

    Viola all done.

    Most important is to lube the INSIDE of the chain. You see these guys lubing the back of the chain behind the rear sprocket. last i knew the sprockets contaced the chain on the inside. hence where the lube should go.

    Good luck.

    BTW if you loose a finger with this method I am not liable!

    KB

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ma
    Posts
    10,687

    chain lube

    I always tell KB he's a moron for putting his bike on the stand and running it in gear. First thing that's going to happen is he's going to lose three fingers fucking with the chain, second thing that's going to happen is the bike is going to fall off those cheap walmart stands and rocket into traffic.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

  19. #19
    Lifer oreo_n2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Amherst, NH
    Posts
    4,832

    chain lube

    i dont care what anyone says... when you're bike is orange and your rims are polished... all chain lubes FLING GUNK all over the place!!!!

    one day i am gonna make the switch back to non o-ring chains and go back to using motor oil for lube.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

  20. #20
    Don't bother me! R7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Yamaha Blvd
    Age
    49
    Posts
    14,186

    chain lube

    Originally posted by oreo_n2
    one day i am gonna make the switch back to non o-ring chains and go back to using motor oil for lube.
    I tried using motor oil, it's a bitch to clean, even worse than chain lube

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

    A Big Powerful Sportbike

  21. #21
    First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Farmington
    Age
    44
    Posts
    16,969

    chain lube

    if you use the bel-ray super clean lube you can SEE how much is on there

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Similar Threads

  1. Best chain lube?
    By Tekime in forum Bike Maintenance
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-05-18, 09:23 AM
  2. Chain lube
    By stoinkythepig in forum Bike Maintenance
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 11-08-08, 12:16 AM
  3. Chain lube?
    By zxme in forum Bike Maintenance
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-08-07, 10:10 PM
  4. Chain lube
    By NHBusa in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-19-04, 10:16 AM
  5. Best chain lube , and adjusting chain ?
    By Gangsta SV in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-28-03, 09:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •