Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Best chain lube?

Best chain lube?

What's your preference for chain lube street/dirt/track?

I've been using the DuPont stuff from Walmart for a while and I guess it's fine. I basically clean/lube every ride on my dirt bike so I go through a lot, but thinking about getting something else for the street bikes. I like Bel Ray products and thinking about that or the Motul racing lube.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Re: Best chain lube?

Maxima chain wax! Great stuff. Won't fling off like most and doesn't leave a mess. I usually clean the chain well then coat with the wax.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I like the Motul Off-road as opposed to Motul Racing. Off-road stays much better when wet than the Racing stuff does, in my experience. Same poor wet experience with Maxima. I am very lackadaisical when it comes to lubing my chain. Maybe once every 1000 miles.

Last edited by golden chicken; 09-02-18 at 10:44 AM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Bel-ray super clean chain lube

Mostly I think all it needs to do is protect the sealing "o" rings

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

DuPont Chain Saver - Teflon additive. Use an aerosol can at home and the plastic squeeze bottle on trips.

Lowes used to carry it but now we buy on Amazon.

WD-40 sprayed onto paper towels, used to wipe down the o-ring chain every now and then.

On my dirty bike I do similar, occasionally hitting it with maxima chain lube for no good reason.

Motorex Chain Clean + Off-Road have been my go-tos on all bikes for a while. no mess.. .

Beta 200RR

Short bus rider

Quote Originally Posted by bstnsboy View Post
    Maxima chain wax! Great stuff. Won't fling off like most and doesn't leave a mess. I usually clean the chain well then coat with the wax.
    I also swear by this stuff. It's not messy but it will leave a waxy film on the rim and all the parts the chain rounds. It won't come off the chain and keeps the rings sealed . I've always used this and my chains hardly stretch or at least not as much than using WD40.

Also DO Not CLEAN AN O RING CHAIN. The rings are greased and sealed when you clean it especially with a brush you force dirt into the grease. This destroys the O ring. It's like cleaning an engine. Do you clean your engine no but you replace old dirty oil with new clean oil. It's not apples to apples but you get my understanding.

Kerosene to clean, Dupont Chain Saver to wax. My last chain went 20k miles of mixed off/on road, which I think is pretty good on a 160HP bike that sees dirt use about half of it's life.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

This is a good thread. I've noted some of the products here, and will probably try the Dupont Chain Saver as soon as the Maxima Chain Wax runs out (pretty soon). For cleaning, I wet a rag (shop cloth) with kerosene and wipe it down.

Re. WD-40, it's mostly kerosene from what I've read, so more of a solvent and cleaner than lubricant.

And don't believe everything you think.

Lifer

I'm a fan of Dupont's Chain lube. Holds the longest. But because of that, it also looks the worst if you care about that.

nedirtriders.com

Thanks, lots to choose from here.

The Dupont works well, dries quickly into mostly clear wax. But I tend to go through a lot washing, drying, and lubing after every trail ride. So for the dirt bike I care a bit less about longevity/spatter and more about immediate lubrication/cost. I actually carry a little bottle of my MTB lube and have used that a few times in a pinch when it seems dried out. Maybe I'm just too liberal... I tend to go through a can pretty fast.

WD-40 really never crossed my mind, it doesn't attract a lot of dust and dirt?

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Quote Originally Posted by Teamdineen View Post
    Also DO Not CLEAN AN O RING CHAIN. The rings are greased and sealed when you clean it especially with a brush you force dirt into the grease. This destroys the O ring. It's like cleaning an engine. Do you clean your engine no but you replace old dirty oil with new clean oil. It's not apples to apples but you get my understanding.
    I am a heathen, I clean my chain often and sometimes use a soft toothbrush. Can't stand the nasty dirty film that builds up and I know it's all getting thrown on the motor/front sprocket and I'll have to scrub it all out eventually. Maybe there's a happy medium I'm missing...

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    WD-40 really never crossed my mind, it doesn't attract a lot of dust and dirt?
    I just use the WD-40 as a solvent to help any dust/dirt/etc off my chain. What little film is left after wiping it down doesn't seem to be an issue as it's thinner than chain lube or waxes so it's dirt holding power isn't as strong.

Lifer

I also use the dupont spray. Sometimes I use the regular "multi-use" dupont spray lube when I can't find the "chain saver" formula.
    I have a can or two of more exotic (Belray, Maxima) moto-specific lubes that were in shwag-bags at events and the like floating around that get used too.
    I clean with WD. WD is my universal solvent/cleaner of choice. I buy it by the gallon. But I want something stickier for chain lube.

I suck at maintaining chains. Mine are usually over-lubed and filthy. .. Yet, they work. Weird.