Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Chain questions..

Lifer

Chain questions..

How hot does the chain get?

Yesterday I took my front sprocket cover off...

I have been using the Suzuki branded chain lube ever since I got the bike. This stuff is way sticky.

Basically it left like up to 1/2" of gunk stuck to parts inside the bike, and it picks up huge pieces of sand compared to other stuff I've seen.

I was thinking of using the chain lube I have for my bicycles. It's "Pedro's Extra Dry chain lube", it says all kinds of bikes all weather, but doesn't say anything about motorcycles. It is way less messy than the Suzuki stuff. It says it can withstand 4500psi... not sure what that means...

Think it's safe to use? It would be nice to use one thing for all my bikes. Anything else that would be recommended?

Ben

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Chain questions..

I use Motorex racing chain lube and am very satisfied. I wouldn't recommend using the bicycle chain lube. It also sounds like you may be using too much. All you need is a thin coating any more and any chain lube will collect a lot of dirt.

Chain questions..

The gunk under the sprocket cover is totally typical for chains and chain lube. You will get some no matter what lube you use. If you are really concerned about lube flinging, the Bel ray is the best for not flinging off. I wouldn't concern yourself with the fling and grit that collects under the sprocket cover, at least you are lubing the chain, that is more than most can say.

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Chain questions..

I get the same thing and it is normal. I am thinking of switching to chain wax when the can of blue Bel Ray is gone.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Chain questions..

Chain wax, plain & simple. *IF* applied CORRECTLY, you'll get very little 'fling'. I've used chain wax practically as long as I've been riding streetbikes. I swear by that stuff...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Chain questions..

Stoneman I would have agreed with you, say 3 years ago. Certainly chain wax is way better about fling than say PJ1, but this new Bel Ray is even better than the chain wax. If you pull your front sprocket cover you will probably see the same amount of fling Ben SV is seeing.

Chain questions..

I dunno, I've never tried that new stuff you're talkin' about. But the key words with the wax is, 'applied correctly'. I don't have a problem with 'fling' or excessive build up....

Here's how I use it: Usually after a ride, I'll let the bike sit for about 15 minutes or so. Then I'll apply the wax to both the inner & outer plates. Not too much, just enough to moisten it. Then it sits 'til the next ride. Never had the problems mentioned...

I use it on my race bike too with no problems. Then again, I'm always open to new products. Maybe I'll give it a try when the wax runneth out...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer

Chain questions..

I just put some Bel-ray lube on it. We'll see how it goes. The white color is cool, then you can see when it's dirty again.

Ben

Chain questions..

I use Bel-ray because its white and I can see where I've put too much on already, so I can finish up by putting too much on the rest of the chain.

I used to use maxima chain wax, both seemed to work great without much difference in fling.