Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Chain/Sprocket Install Technical Question

Chain/Sprocket Install Technical Question

I'm going to be replacing the chain and sprockets on my bike this coming week. However, right now I have a 520 conversion kit that's currently installed on the bike. The kit I ordered is a 525 kit, which is back to OEM specs.

My question is, when installing the front sprocket is it okay to use the new chain when torquing the front sprocket nut down to correct spec? I usually would use the old chain, pop the new sprocket in and then tighten it. However in this case, I doubt a 525 front sprocket will fit in a 520 chain. I really hate to use the brand new chain, but it looks like my only option, unless someone has some sort of magic trick that would allow me to get the front sprocket on another way.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Chain/Sprocket Install Technical Question

To make this an easy Job.....I have heard the old :put in gear and stick a board in the rear tire Tricks" Not a Fan at all. What I do: Pull the cover reveal the front sprocket, get a good real impact gun and Zap off the nut ( check to see and bend the wash that keeps it from backng off is bent down and away and is in N) .....Its very easy with a impact gun. Cut the rivits off the chain with a Dremel and push out the pins remove the old chain.....Hit the rear, change the sprocket and may need some HEAT to get the nuts off if its OEM. Then replace them and use the impact to get it back on and bend over the washer and your good. Wipe off the white lithum grease and go for a 5min ride and heat it up clean it very good and use Chain Wax to lube it and let it Fully cool and your good.

Easy Job and its a GSXR so even easier.....LOLOLOL

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Pigman; 05-16-14 at 10:16 AM.

I used a impact gun as well and it was super easy. You can run metal pipe through the swing arm and rim. Maker sure you wrap it in fabric. I left my gear in N.

+1 for impact gun. What I used when I changed mine.

Are you guys talking an impact gun to install the sprocket or remove it?

Quote Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
    Are you guys talking an impact gun to install the sprocket or remove it?
    Both.......I have never ever used a torque wrench ever. Far too over Rated LOLOLOL

Lifer

They're saying using an impact gun for both. Which is great, and will be very quick.

But if you don't have easy access to one, you can most likely get the job done without one. I've done it, it's just a bit more difficult.

nedirtriders.com

Lifer

I've never used an impact. I don't own one with enough nuts to break a countershaft bolt free.
    I use a breaker bar and a pipe to remove. I leave the bike in neutral and on the center stand. I wedge a 2x2 bit of pine through the wheel over the swing arm with a spacer to protect the brake line. I tighten the nut using a torque wrench.

So far this works well for me.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Another vote for the impact wrench for both. Can't imagine removing it by hand after it trying once...

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    To make this an easy Job.....I have heard the old :put in gear and stick a board in the rear tire Tricks" Not a Fan at all. What I do: Pull the cover reveal the front sprocket, get a good real impact gun and Zap off the nut ( check to see and bend the wash that keeps it from backng off is bent down and away and is in N) .....Its very easy with a impact gun. Cut the rivits off the chain with a Dremel and push out the pins remove the old chain.....Hit the rear, change the sprocket and may need some HEAT to get the nuts off if its OEM. Then replace them and use the impact to get it back on and bend over the washer and your good. Wipe off the white lithum grease and go for a 5min ride and heat it up clean it very good and use Chain Wax to lube it and let it Fully cool and your good.

Easy Job and its a GSXR so even easier.....LOLOLOL
    Same here. Super easy with the impact gun. I blocked the tire too but it probably wasn`t nessasary. Good Luck.

No worries guys, whoever installed the last chain and sprocket left the front sprocket nut hand tight. Good thing on my model bike there's a retaining washer that gets bolted on with the speed sensor.

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Quote Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
    No worries guys, whoever installed the last chain and sprocket left the front sprocket nut hand tight. Good thing on my model bike there's a retaining washer that gets bolted on with the speed sensor.
    Good thing in a way that it saved it from coming off, but not so good as it likely caused wear on the counter shaft splines

Yamaha

I use a little bit of blue locktite too.

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Good thing in a way that it saved it from coming off, but not so good as it likely caused wear on the counter shaft splines
    I just got the sprocket off and surprisingly there's no wear on the countershaft. Looks like I got lucky in both cases.

Shows a little bit of wear but then again the bike has 25K miles on it. Looks pretty normal to me though.Chain/Sprocket Install Technical Question-uploadfromtaptalk1400432590273-jpg