Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

chain/sprockets

Lifer

chain/sprockets

So would I be an idiot to replace my chain (13k miles) without replacing my sprockets?

They (sprockets) are not terribly worn. (No hooking or sharp edges, etc..) Replacing the chain myself involves buying/borrowing a $90 chain tool and removing/installing the chain.

Changing the sprockets is much more involved and essentially involves complete disassembly of the rear wheel/hub/brake assembly and would require several other tools. (46mm socket, etc..)

There is no set schedule for sprocket or bearing replacement, just notes to replace when you have everything apart if the bearings appear to be worn/failed. Without taking it apart I don't think there is anything wrong with my bearings.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

chain/sprockets

*I* would do 'em all together. In fact, I always have and I'll be doing just that on the TL-R soon...

chain/sprockets

I would replace em all

I made the mistake of rewplacing only the chain once, it lasted only about half as long

sprockets might not be notiibly worn, but they are, and that micro amount they are worn accelerates the wear on the new chain

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

chain/sprockets

ben you need a new chain at 13thou? i had 11.5 when i got rid of my vfr it was good and tight. i never once adjusted it but i cleaned and lubed it quite often.

Lifer

chain/sprockets

I barely ever give mine a proper cleaning. And I ride in bad weather. I tend to just spray it off with the hose and then lube it again or something stupid like that. It gets a proper degreasing and scrubbing a couple times a year.

Riding in the snow more then once and riding on the salty roads more times then I can count didn't help.

I barely ever had to adjust mine till the last month or two either.. yours may have been closer to the end of it's life then you think. I maybe adjusted it once at 6-7 thousand miles, again at 10 thousand miles, but now it needs to be adjusted on a regular basis.

Lifer

chain/sprockets

Thanks guys... I got a strong recommendation from the VFR folks too.. to expect 5k life out of the 2nd chain if I don't do the whole job at once.

Gotta decide what to do I might just trade it in. New Tires + Chain/Sprockets + the looming valve adjust is making me question my commitment to this bike.

chain/sprockets

Originally posted by benVFR
    Thanks guys... I got a strong recommendation from the VFR folks too.. to expect 5k life out of the 2nd chain if I don't do the whole job at once.

Gotta decide what to do I might just trade it in. New Tires + Chain/Sprockets + the looming valve adjust is making me question my commitment to this bike.

you know what i was going to ask you that. its almost time for that big valve job. i didn't even have a clue as to what dealer to trust to do it. one of the reasons i didn't like the vtec.

i would sell it as you know you will get f'd on a trade in. i got good money for mine.

Lifer

chain/sprockets

Yah if the friggin dealer would EVER call me back I'm going to get a quote on the valve adjust. That's the killer right there.

A lot of the best things on the VFR just haven't applied to me the last year or so. Who the heck cares if the bike never vibrates if you never get to ride it more then a couple of hours at a time...

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

chain/sprockets

Supposedly takes 8 hours to adjust the valves on those, right?

If true, F that. My 9R is bad enough. I'm a big fan of screw and locknut lash adjustments, like my other two bikes.

Resident Bosox Aficionado mikem317's Avatar

chain/sprockets

But isn't that going to happen with any machine you own?

Regards,
    Mike

Where were you on October 27, 2004? // Got Wallpaper? // Special Discount for Boston Red Sox Fans! // Because even Alex Rodriguez has feelings too...

"Everytime I see a Yankee's hat, I see a swastika just a little off kilter." -- Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Lifer

chain/sprockets

Not to this degree.

All those maintenance items are far less expensive on other bikes. You've got the VFR that supposedly takes 8 hours for the dealer to do it in a workshop. On the other extreme you've got people who claim to be able to do it in a parking lot on some older designs. Other bikes have a different ratio of value to maintenance expense too. The VFR is worth a decent chunk of change but not so much more then other bikes.

If the VFR made 200hp and was way off in the stratosphere performance wise I wouldn't be questioning this stuff the same way.

But it's not, and as a street ride these maintenance costs don't make much sense.

The last time I got the valves done on my SV650 it was something like $150-200. (I don't remember exactly cause the same bill also had a fork seal job on it, total was like $350)

I don't know what they charge for something like a CBR1000 but it's definitely significantly less.

We will see. My brother and I are going to go over the whole thing in the service manual this weekend and I'm going to price the parts and special tools I will have to get. (VTEC pin stoppers, special "buckets" since the the VTEC valves don't have shims, other tools required, etc.. )

We'll do it depending on how much the parts & tools will cost. If it costs >50% what the dealer will charge I may let the dealer do it as I'm not sure I'm going to put 32k+ miles on the bike.

Kind of odd I can't believe it but my brother really WANTS to tear the bike apart and do the valve job. He tore a CBR600 motor down in school last semester to modify it for use in a small race car and for some reason he really really wants to see what the inside of a VFR motor looks like.

chain/sprockets

Kind of odd I can't believe it but my brother really WANTS to tear the bike apart and do the valve job. He tore a CBR600 motor down in school last semester to modify it for use in a small race car and for some reason he really really wants to see what the inside of a VFR motor looks like.
    Actually it's pretty amazing what your willing to do to something that you don't own. I'll do with vice grips if you want.

Lifer

chain/sprockets

Damn Straight...