Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how much does a chain stretch?

how much does a chain stretch?

I am now officially out of chain tension adjustment capability on my '95 FZR600 on the 2nd set of chain and sprockets.

how much are these supposed to stretch??

history:
    ~24k, got a new set of chain and sprockets
    ~32k, it had a lot of tight and loose spots, and stretched beyond adjustment
    ~32k, replace it with RK/Vortex chain and sprockets
    ~45k, it is now out of the range of tension adjustment

when I don't ride it for a week or so, I'll lube it that day. When I'm daily commuting (~70-100 miles/day), it goes bone dry within 3 days or so, at which I re-lube it.

I tried cleaning and lubing, but the cleaning was once/month tops...more like once every 2-3 months.

Now I clean and lube every wekk, and it's still out of adjustment....I only commute on it, with the occasional clutched wheelie that lasts about 20-30 feet.

first set of chain/sprockets were a cheapo brand...so I got the RK/Vortex, but these are about the same

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: how much does a chain stretch?

Bone dry in 3 days?! What are you using for lube?!

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

currently maxima chain wax

I've also tried PJ one blue label and the cheapo stuff from home depot

by 3 days I'm close to 300 miles...how long does it usually last?

and allow me to clarify: "bone dry" is from a visual standpoint of the rollers. I have no idea if it's still sufficiently lubed within the o-rings or inside the links...and the maxima chain wax usually leaves a sticky layer on the outside links that lasts longer than 3 days.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-16-12 at 11:00 PM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    Bone dry in 3 days?! What are you using for lube?!
    how much does a chain stretch?-1170_1236646826720_400_289-jpg

I use the Dupont Teflon stuff, but they discontinued it. Looking for new lube, so subscribing.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by sveesix; 10-16-12 at 11:09 PM.

I was using Maxima chain wax on my SV. The chain was done around 22k miles. I switched to a Silkolene Race lube and then picked up Motul Street lube. I think I prefer the Motul.

that's what I got from OEM...heck, I was at 24k miles and I still had room to go on the stock chain

the local guy installs "driven" chain and sprockets...he swears by it, so I might go that route (and maybe even lube a little less?)

What are you using to clean the chain with?

I used to do it by hand w' a paper towel and WD-40 or that dupont teflon spray

now I do it with a grunge brush and the degreaser it came with

crazy, eh?

Lifer

Is it possible you are prematurely tightening the chain, so that it is always on the tighter side and essentially is too tight? That would speed up the wear.

nedirtriders.com

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

The simple answer is they can stretch a lot.if you over tighten them they will stretch a lot.

I presume you are on mon stock sprocket sizes? Did you start at the front of the adjustment or near the back? If near the back you could hit the limit pretty quickly.

hmmmm....that might be the problem

after seeing a loose floppy chain every 2-3 days, I started tightening it a little more so that I wouldn't have to adjust it so much...which was adding insult to injury

if I didn't have such a shitty chain and sprocket set to begin with, I probably wouldn't have started this domino effect

how are driven chains and EK sprockets?

Lifer

Don't forget the chain gets a little tighter when put weight on the wheel, both from the weight of the bike and yourself compressing the rear suspension. I don't know what is the 'standard' for this, but I know my manual specifies when to assess tightness. Pretty sure it is with the weight off the wheel (on center stand) but don't take my word for it.

If you were setting the chain a tad too tight, it was 'fixing' that for you. Had you not been so proactive about it, the problem probably would have stopped

nedirtriders.com

Lifer

Running your chain on the loose side will help it live longer. Also, running a larger counter shaft sprocket can help as well (with corresponding larger wheel sprocket, to maintain desired ratio). If you really want the longest life possible, you can flip the chain over every once in a while.

Last edited by gregp; 10-17-12 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    If you really want the longest life possible, you can flip the chain over every once in a while.
    That sounds a little like turning your underwear inside-out so you can wear them twice.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have close to 15000 on a 530 did x ring. I was told not to use a brush because it could damage the x rings so i don't . I clean with the same thing I lube with ,Maxilla chain wax. Just lube , wipe it down real good and lube again and i do this monthly . I have only adjusted the chain when replacing the rear tire every season. I do my share of power wheelies , and hard launches too , chain still has lots of adjustment left. I think you might be over tightening ! Do you roll your whole chain around once and adjust it at the point with the most play. I adjust it that way to 1/2 to 3/4 inch of play. Good luck!

Last edited by ZX11D; 10-17-12 at 05:48 PM.

Cleaning a chain too often with the wrong solvents and over-tensioning it are the two fastest ways to kill it.

I clean mine about once every 4000 miles, and lube it about every 1000 miles. I happen to use some Motorex 611 cleaner and 622 chain lube that I got from Dave @ Motorace. I've adjusted my chain ONCE, at about 800 miles on the bike. It's still the right tension now, and I just cleaned it for the first time. I usually get over 18,000 miles out of the chain & sprocket set.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

i spoke to one of the people who work for JT sprockets in the north american division and he said that he recommends people buy 2 front sprockets and swap them every 500-1000 miles or whenever you do a full chain adjust as it helps the longevity.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by gamorg02
    i spoke to one of the people who work for JT sprockets in the north american division and he said that he recommends people buy 2 front sprockets and swap them every 500-1000 miles or whenever you do a full chain adjust as it helps the longevity.
    Lol. Is he on commission?

I have never heard of that and I can't see any reason that a front sprocket would show any wear at all at 500-1000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted

Lol. Is he on commission?

I have never heard of that and I can't see any reason that a front sprocket would show any wear at all at 500-1000 miles.
    nah it wasn't a sales guy it was their tech department.

So you buy 2 fronts when you replace the chains/sprockets and one rear. then you are only swapping between two front sprockets. his argument was its the front sprocket that shark tooths first since it has typically 3x the contact as the rear sprocket. then it wears the chain and rear sprocket to its deformation. if you swap the front sprocket back and forth (between the two) it should lengthen the life of the chian. he said he's had good luck with it but its not an official JT stance or anything.

for a $15 front sprocket i figured i'd try it out. we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by sveesix View Post

I use the Dupont Teflon stuff, but they discontinued it. Looking for new lube, so subscribing.
    Are you sure? I just bought 2 bottles at Lowes. Love that stuff

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    yea unfortunately:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/dupon...2012/index.htm

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    Yup, so if you like it and have a store that still has some, stock up.

I'd be willing to bet your rear shock is all sagged out and putting too much strain on the chain. I know you aren't fat, but this is a common big person issue on stock springs. If your spring has weakened over the years, then you may be in the same boat.

Always check your chain tension with you (or someone your size) ON the bike. Most of the time chains that appear to be perfectly adjusted while the bike is solo are way too tight once someone sits on it and compresses the suspension.

I don't clean my chains. Just keep adding lube. I haven't had a chain last anything less than 25k.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...ubes-reviewed/

This WBW article says that Liquid Wrench's dry lube is very similar to the old Dupoint teflon dry lube. I'll have to grab some when I run out of Dupont.

Friends don't let friends wave to Can Ams

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

chain wax is supposed to be put on when the chain is hot. if youre putting it cold, youre doing it wrong.
    i got pretty religious at one point that every friday when i got home from school, the bike would go up on the stand and the chain would get adjusted and lubed. this worked pretty good.
    im not so good at it now.
    i use Harley chain lube right now and it works really well. it slings a bunch after application but the cahin stays wet for a pretty long time.
    i used to use Bel Rey super clean. i liked it because it came out colored so i could see if i missed anything.

PS: chains dont stretch

chains should be adjusted with the rider on the bike and should have about 3/4" of play which is usually about the thickness of the chain. if youre adjusting the chain pretty tight while its on the kickstand, when you get on it its REALLY tight. then when the suspension compresses over bumps it compounds it even more.
    adjusting the chain on my KTM is tricky because the suspension has so much travel and compresses a bunch when i get on it. last time i adjusted i used tie down to compress the suspension to what it would be with me on it and that seemed to work really well.

Last edited by SVRACER01; 10-25-12 at 03:28 PM.
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast