Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Changing Brake Pads

Changing Brake Pads

I am going to replace the front and rear pads on my 2009 CBR600 (Tokico radial calipers - fronts).

For the rear brakes the shop manual says to push the floating caliper towards the wheel (watch fluid level) to push the pistons back into the caliper, then remove the pin, remove the pads, clean around the pistons, and then put in the pads, put the pin back, and pump the brake pedal.

For the front brakes its says loosen the pins, remove the caliper, spread the pads to push the pistons back into the caliper (watch fluid level), remove the pins, remove the pads, clean around the pistons, put in new pads, put the pins back, remount the caliper, and pump the brake lever.

Here is my question, everything on line says to clean the pistons before pushing them back into the caliper, but the Honda shop manual doesn't say to clean them prior to pushing them in. The calipers use an outer dust seal and an inner seal for each piston. Just want to see what others think before I go and push the pistons back in. Clean them as best a possible or just push them in? Maybe Honda doesn't call for cleaning the pistons while they are sticking out because of the outer dust seal design?

Thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

Re: Changing Brake Pads

Just spray them with aerosol brake cleaner before you push them in and just before you slide them back over the discs on reassembly quickly spray them again

Last edited by Rambunctous; 06-03-12 at 12:08 AM.

Wirelessly posted

I think you may have been confused by what people online are saying...I think they mean for a caliper rebuild you clean the pistons before reinstalling them.

Corey

You're BES to clean those pistons before putting in new pads.

Once your old pads are out, spray brake parts cleaner on a tooth brush and scrub around the caliper pistons. If there's a lot of buildup, you might want to give the lever a few pumps to get the pistons out a little more. Just be careful not to pump the lever enough to get the pistons to fall out.

I don't recommend spraying brake cleaner directly in the pistons, as it may reach the seals and eat away at the rubber.

One you go to put the new pads in, put some Never Seize on the threads of the brake pad pins. You will need to CAREFULLY push the pistons back down into the calipers. I used a big flat head screwdriver with old brake pads.

I actually just did this on friday and it made my wheel spin much easier after everything went back together.

Once everything is done and ready to ride, make sure you pump up the lever a few times before riding. It wouldn't hurt to crack the master cylinder bleeder once to see if any air came up through the lines.

Re: Changing Brake Pads

Thanks guys!

2013 ZX6R-636