Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

changing oil

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

Re: changing oil

I don't change my oil, I change bikes..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I do filter and oil every 3-4k.

Motul 300V. I'm paying for it, not anyone else, so I don't wanna hear it

On another note, it smells like

Quote Originally Posted by toocrazy2yoo View Post
    I don't change my oil, I change bikes..
    I piddy da foo that buys your old bike

Quote Originally Posted by toocrazy2yoo View Post
    Oh go on, give it up.. What's your secret?
    if you're serious, then i use Motul semi-synthetic 5100 10w-40 with a K&N oil filter. if you were being sarcastic, then

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

I have a site glass on my bike which is helpful. Depending on the way i ride and a lot of other factors oil can stay good longer then most people thing.

I spend a lot on oil AMsOil 10-40 but i dont change it as often since it tends to look good for a Long time normaly 5-6k with that oil

3-4k with the cheaper stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    I piddy da foo that buys your old bike
    Why's that? I put 600 miles on a brand new oil change, Honda full 10W40 SJ synthetic. And now, I'm trading the bike. Bike has fewer miles on it than most peeps change their oil in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DBKromz View Post
    if you're serious, then i use Motul semi-synthetic 5100 10w-40 with a K&N oil filter. if you were being sarcastic, then
    Dood, I wasn't particularly serious, just curious. So yours is SF/SJ, too, right? When the dealer did the 7500 mile on the Bandit, I told em to go full syn Honda 10W-40 SJ. But I had em do a stocker Suzuki filter. I'm real big on keeping things stock. When I trade this Sooz and get the Connie, I do believe everything gotta stay stock to protect the warranty anyway, which is extended to 6 full bumper-to-bumper years.

I'm a creature of excess, and probably spend a little more money than brain-power when I delve into these things, as indicated by my "Bandit for sale" ad in the For Sale section. Not realistic for anyone to come down here and buy it, but I figure it's a good excuse to buy site supporter since they didn't cut me from the team a few weeks back.

Why'd ya think I was busting balls about yer oil, anyway? Do peeps bust yer balls?

Last edited by toocrazy2yoo; 07-26-09 at 12:08 PM.

lobster jim, I would use a suzuki filter. i get a K&N because the online shop I order from offers a package deal for oil & filter and they use K&N filters.

You're probably wasting your $$ doing full synth. many riders upgrade to semi-synth after about 15k. full synth is typically only used on track/race bikes, and i've heard can cause cluth issues.

hope this helps.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by DBKromz View Post
    lobster jim, I would use a suzuki filter. i get a K&N because the online shop I order from offers a package deal for oil & filter and they use K&N filters.

You're probably wasting your $$ doing full synth. many riders upgrade to semi-synth after about 15k. full synth is typically only used on track/race bikes, and i've heard can cause cluth issues.

hope this helps.
    EVERYTHING helps. I toldja, I'm a moron. However, motorcycle-specific oil doesn't have friction modifiers (moly, for starters), but under SF/SH/SJ DOES have lots of zinc, just the add for transmissions and gearsets in a wet clutch scenario. That's why so many still spec it. This much, I know. Car oils, dino or syn, are very much zinc-deficient owing to EPA and the manufacturers that have to warranty car-cats, and the SM/GF4 oils, good as they are for car engines, are shit for bikes. Same for CI/SM HDEOs. At 800PPM/zinc just right for cars, but not the 12-1500PPM of SF/SH/SJ oils that are bike-specific. Baaaaad brutha when it comes to running bikes that share transmission lubrication with the engine oil when the oil is an SM-rated HDEO..

But then, it's just MHO. But for the record, I figured the Honda full syn (SF/SJ) to be good to take the bike from 3500 or 3600 miles on up to 9 or 10K, so in that usage, syn is apropos. And, sight glasses are nice, but don't judge color. Lots of oil gets darker due to additive activation inside of a thousand miles, but outside of that, the miles run on the oil, analysis for TBN and/or manufacture's recommendation are the more important measures..

You be a high-dollar investor, though, DB. Motul is pretty pricy down here..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12