Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Changing turn signals to LEDs ... a problem ...

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Changing turn signals to LEDs ... a problem ...

For my 2002 Guzzi V11, I used the bulb finder at superbrightleds and bought their LEDs and flasher, too.

The LEDs flash at a good rate, and bright, but all 4 flash.

If I select left, the left LEDs flash good and bright, and the right LEDs also flash about half as bright. And vice versa. Put the filament bulbs back in, and I get normal operation.

Anyone encounter this?

Thought I'd dip into the deep well of NESR knowledge before calling superbrightleds later.

Thanks.

These LEDs:
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...se/3698/12877/

This flasher:
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...asher/779/833/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by whynot; 09-23-20 at 05:14 PM. Reason: flasher emphasis added :-)
    And don't believe everything you think.

Re: Changing turn signals to LEDs ... a problem ...

I can't speak for you Guzzi, but many vehicles require load resistors when switching from filament to LED bulbs. The LED bulbs don't exhibit enough load on the flasher to make the flasher operate correctly.

Thanks, may well be the problem. I'm not getting "hyperflash" just multiple flashing I guess I'd call it.

Reading up on their blog re. hyperflashing, they say that either you need one of their flashers or you need the load resistors. No users posting mention my problem. Looks like I will be calling their tech support later, tell them which of their products I have and the # on my old flasher.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/blog...rflashing/275/

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Pics of Guzzi!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Pics of Guzzi!
    When I got it in June:

Out last week on new tires, Dunlop Roadsmart III:

Heading out shortly to warm oils for oil change ...

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    I can't speak for you Guzzi, but many vehicles require load resistors when switching from filament to LED bulbs. The LED bulbs don't exhibit enough load on the flasher to make the flasher operate correctly.
    This all the way. Had to do that for my last couple sportbikes. Not to drag it out, but my Street Glide was "self-learning" to a point. Run the 4-way while it's off, switch the ignition to ON, then off & turn the 4-ways off. Magic!

Love that fuckin' Guzzi though!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    This all the way. Had to do that for my last couple sportbikes. Not to drag it out, but my Street Glide was "self-learning" to a point. Run the 4-way while it's off, switch the ignition to ON, then off & turn the 4-ways off. Magic!

Love that fuckin' Guzzi though!
    Thanks. The Guzzi is great. You know that you are operating a machine.

Back from the warm up ride, got the oils draining ... .

Gonna call their (superbrightleds) technical support shortly, and see what they say ... .

(No 4-way switch on this bike, even tho it's kinda acting like it has one when I try the LEDs.)

The turn signal idiot light on your dash, I’m guessing there’s only one for both sides? There’s not an individual left and right idiot light?

If so, you just need to splice in two diodes, any 1N400X series will work, you don't need the "diode kit" but this page shows you how they're installed.
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...specifications

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MattR302; 09-22-20 at 02:26 PM.

If you can find the flasher module in the bike and it's a common automotive sized one, you can find drop-in electronic flashers that will work regardless of the load.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    If you can find the flasher module in the bike and it's a common automotive sized one, you can find drop-in electronic flashers that will work regardless of the load.
    He already did that, as said in the OP. That’s not the issue.

The issue is that the original wiring for both left and right passes both ways through the idiot light bulb. This works due to the higher wattage and non-polarity of incandescent bulbs. When you switch to LEDs with less voltage drop, the single idiot light provides a path for the extra voltage to illuminate the other side.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MattR302; 09-22-20 at 04:11 PM.

Yup... I didn't fully read it...

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    He already did that, as said in the OP. That’s not the issue.

The issue is that the original wiring for both left and right passes both ways through the idiot light bulb. This works due to the higher wattage and non-polarity of incandescent bulbs. When you switch to LEDs with less voltage drop, the single idiot light provides a path for the extra voltage to illuminate the other side.
    Thanks, MattR, that makes a whole lotta sense -- even to me, what with being electrically challenged or more like impaired, I can actually grasp it the way you explain it.

Yes, a single idiot light for the turn signals on the '02 Guzzi.

I could order their diode kit, they are pretty fast, and the price looks reasonable (or I could buy 100 diodes for the same money on eBay). Also, I ordered (and received) a similar LED turn signal set up for my '05 Multistrada 1000, also has a single idiot light for the turn signals, so I'll need diodes there, too.

Thanks, everyone. Can be an endless discussion with lots of learning points.

(BTW, I did call their tech support, he told me to look into adding a flasher relay, didn't really listen to my symptoms or ask which components I had, but he did tell me to search their site for "flasher" and he spelled it out for me F-L-A-S-H-E-R. I managed to butt in and tell him that all four signals were lighting up, and even though this problem is covered and solved on their web page, he repeated, flasher relay. Oh, well. I thanked him and wished him a good day. Reading the on line reviews of their tech support, it seems I must have reached the wrong guy or he was just having a bad day.)

Last edited by whynot; 09-23-20 at 08:28 AM.

Yep, I also missed that the flasher had been replaced.
    I suspect Matt is on the right track.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    Thanks, MattR, that makes a whole lotta sense -- even to me, what with being electrically challenged or more like impaired, I can actually grasp it the way you explain it.

Yes, a single idiot light for the turn signals on the '02 Guzzi.

I could order their diode kit, they are pretty fast, and the price looks reasonable (or I could buy 100 diodes for the same money on eBay). Also, I ordered (and received) a similar LED turn signal set up for my '05 Multistrada 1000, also has a single idiot light for the turn signals, so I'll need diodes there, too.

Thanks, everyone. Can be an endless discussion with lots of learning points.

(BTW, I did call their tech support, he told me to look into adding a flasher relay, didn't really listen to my symptoms or ask which components I had, but he did tell me to search their site for "flasher" and he spelled it out for me F-L-A-S-H-E-R. I managed to butt in and tell him that all four signals were lighting up, and even though this problem is covered and solved on their web page, he repeated, flasher relay. Oh, well. I thanked him and wished him a good day. Reading the on line reviews of their tech support, it seems I must have reached the wrong guy or he was just having a bad day.)
    From my experience in tech support, when you get 100 calls a day for the same thing, it tends to cloud judgement when someone calls in with a different issue. He's probably just sitting there repeating the words "load resistor" and "new flasher" all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    From my experience in tech support, when you get 100 calls a day for the same thing, it tends to cloud judgement when someone calls in with a different issue. He's probably just sitting there repeating the words "load resistor" and "new flasher" all day long.
    Fer sure ... he was totally tuned out when I said that all four were lighting up. Anyway, once I get it all working, I'll gently make a suggestion on their chat or email to add a link to the diodes if the vehicle has a single indicator/idiot light.

Success -- got the LED turn signal upgrade working fine yesterday. Thanks to MattR for identifying the problem (single idiot light) and the solution (add diodes).

It was all pretty easy -- getting the fairing off (first time for me), opening the dash, cutting the wires and splicing the diodes in (crimped, plus some heat shrink tubing), test, and re-assemble.

While it was apart I installed a PIAA H4 headlight bulb leftover from another bike, and removed the "peep-peep" horns and installed a single FIAMM Freeway Blaster (lo-tone), much louder. I also have a hi-tone FIAMM, but the single horn is plenty loud, and I didn't feel like getting into installing a relay.

That's all for now ... .

Last edited by whynot; 09-28-20 at 06:55 AM.