Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Where's my oil going?

High maintenance priss

Where's my oil going?

'04 ZX6RR, was a street bike for ~12k mi, now a TD bike. It seems to be drinking oil. After ~5-6 TDs, the oil level went from middle of the sight glass to out of sight. Took maybe .5-.75Q to bring it back.

Coolant is perfectly fine and no oil latte. Leakdown test #'s seem good: 97%, 96%, 97%, 95% (cyl 1-4, in that order). The only clue I've seen is what seems to be slightly excessive oil in the air box. Its not serious puddling, but enough to weep around the #1 intake boot and the drain hose nipple. There are no drips and no blue smoke.

Problem? Or keep humping the bike into submission?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Where's my oil going?

I wouldnt say it's a "problem" however 6 track days and no oil changes, at least in my mind, seems to be a bit excessive.

Every engine consumes some amount of oil, some more than others. As oil becomes broken down from usage it also thins out. This is further exacerbated with extended and repeated high RPM cycles.

My advice is to change your oil every 2 to 3 days on track. Not necessarily the filter but definitely the oil.

If it's in the airbox it's coming through the breather. That's normal.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Hig rpm full power and you get crankcase pressure that will force droplets into the airbox

OLD oil also breaksdown into smaller more volitile molecules that can burn off

Change oil don't worry be happy

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm with stroller. That's normal oil usage. Change oil and filter and continue on.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    My advice is to change your oil every 2 to 3 days on track. Not necessarily the filter but definitely the oil.
    i know the GSX-R service manuals say to change the filter every other oil change. obviously replacing it every oil change won't hurt either.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

I agree with you Jim however if one is changing their oil every couple trackdays the frequency of filter changing in reduced quite a bit.

I change mine twice a year.

in a nutshell, definitely dont go 5-6 track days without changing your oil, and your consumption for such events (.75 q in 5-6 track days) is perfectly fine

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    I agree with you Jim however if one is changing their oil every couple trackdays the frequency of filter changing in reduced quite a bit.

I change mine twice a year.
    yup. i was agreeing with you on that one. just adding the fact that the filter change isnt needed as often as the oil change is.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Sorry. Misread your post.

High maintenance priss

Good...probably normal, no worries.

I change the oil every 4-6 TDs and thought that was reasonable. But sounds like I should look at cutting this in half. Butcher approved!

Thanks guys.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote Originally Posted by keeena
    Good...probably normal, no worries.

I change the oil every 4-6 TDs and thought that was reasonable. But sounds like I should look at cutting this in half. Butcher approved!

Thanks guys.
    I've changed mine once this year and the oil is still very clean, I changed it at the start of the season and after 4 trackdays, the current oil has about 8 trackdays on it, I have consumed about 1 quart and the oil is still very clean, it's time to change it but amsoil FTW, stuff stays clean forever

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    '04 ZX6RR, was a street bike for ~12k mi, now a TD bike. It seems to be drinking oil. After ~5-6 TDs, the oil level went from middle of the sight glass to out of sight. Took maybe .5-.75Q to bring it back.

Coolant is perfectly fine and no oil latte. Leakdown test #'s seem good: 97%, 96%, 97%, 95% (cyl 1-4, in that order). The only clue I've seen is what seems to be slightly excessive oil in the air box. Its not serious puddling, but enough to weep around the #1 intake boot and the drain hose nipple. There are no drips and no blue smoke.

i guess i should probably admit my vmax has a leak so i just syphon a little bit out whenever you have it in the work parking lot!

High maintenance priss

Quote Originally Posted by gamorg02 View Post
    i guess i should probably admit my vmax has a leak so i just syphon a little bit out whenever you have it in the work parking lot!

Don't you have diapers to change?

haha yea...

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    [SIZE=1] I have consumed about 1 quart and the oil is still very clean, it's time to change it but amsoil FTW, stuff stays clean forever
    Want to buy a bridge?

Yeah, Amsoil stays clean forever....Wonder where all those contaminates are ending up?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Corey, clean looking oil does not automatically equate to properly lubricating oil.

I think if you submitted an oil quality test to a lab you might be surprised at the results that come back.

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post

Honey Badger don't care he just ride's the shit otta that motorcycle