Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

changing spark plugs?

changing spark plugs?

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how hard it is to change spark plugs? I have a 1997 zx7r and I want to do the plugs but I am up in the air about whether to do it on my own or bring it in to a shop for this. If anyone knows about how much it would cost I would apreciate it also.

Jesse

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Arguing on the internet is like winning a gold medal in the special olympics......whether you win or lose you are still retarded!

changing spark plugs?

Not sure of the level of difficulty for your specific bike, but for alot of bikes, this will require pulling the tank off, and disconnecting the radiator (or moving it out of the way leaving it hanging), just to give you some idea of the scope of the job. Not terribly difficult, but you will need to remove a few bits and bobs to get at the plugs.

I am sure of the kawi boys on here can give you more details about whats required for your specific bike however.

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

changing spark plugs?

It's not hard.

My thoughts on spark plugs in bikes:

How many miles on the plugs that are in there? I think people change them far more often than is necessary. If your MPG hasn't dipped, leave them alone. If the bike lacks the zip it once had, run a tank or two of Techron treated fuel through it. It might just be intake valve deposits causing the power loss. Techron cleans them up nicely.

changing spark plugs?

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    It's not hard.

My thoughts on spark plugs in bikes:

How many miles on the plugs that are in there? I think people change them far more often than is necessary. If your MPG hasn't dipped, leave them alone. If the bike lacks the zip it once had, run a tank or two of Techron treated fuel through it. It might just be intake valve deposits causing the power loss. Techron cleans them up nicely.
    Of course there are other reasons to pull the plugs... Detonation/Knocking/Bike Running Rich, etc... Sometimes inspecting the plugs gives you the answer to the thing thats been bugging you... but in general, if it aint' broke don't fix it.. Usually a damn good motto

Cheers,
    Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

changing spark plugs?

Originally posted by Mystery Squid
    TAKE YOUR TIME, and don't let dirt/grim/particles/etc. fall into the plug holes once you remove them. If need be, blow out the holes with a can of compressed air PRIOR to removing the plugs.
    This is wunna the biggest mistakes I see (or hear about) people make. BEFORE you pull the plugs out, you'd be well advised to blow the the cavity out (shut UP!) with compresses air. This will insure that none of that shit falls into the spark plug holes while you're actually changing 'em...

It's usually a pretty easy job. Lift or remove fuel tank and in some cases the airbox. Do 'em ONE AT A TIME so as not to forget which wires go to which plug. Gap them PROPERLY, and DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN...

Inline fours are the tits to change plugs...

If you're still aprehensive about doing it, lemme know. You can come up with your manual and plugs, and I'll give ya a quick lesson on 'how to'...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

changing spark plugs?

Agreed...
    Should be pretty easy. Just follow the aforementioned advice and take your time. And, remember, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. You can very easily tear up the plug threads. If you have a shop manual, tighten to the MFRs specs using a torque wrench. You may find some good info here

Lifer

changing spark plugs?

A little dab of never seize on the plug threads will keep you from galling the threads, and also limit the chance of the plugs getting stuck in the head.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Re: changing spark plugs?

Originally posted by jesse_k
    I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how hard it is to change spark plugs? I have a 1997 zx7r and I want to do the plugs but I am up in the air about whether to do it on my own or bring it in to a shop for this. If anyone knows about how much it would cost I would apreciate it also.

Jesse
    Jesse, check your tool kit for a long tube like device (haha) with a hex on one end and a flared hex on the other. The flared end will have a rubber grommet inside.....this is the side that you loosen the plug with. The other side accepts a 14mm (I think) socket for turning. Rightie tightie leftie loosie applies. You have to remove the tack, airbox, and plug wires..... obviously. Use anti-seize on the new plugs you put in (I do for insurance). Gap the new plugs to .7 to .8 mm (NGK CR9E are recommended for that bike). Pretty easy job like Jay said.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

I know this is an old thread, and equally know this is my first post, but in a recent search to check something before I did the plugs on my ZX7R I found this page on the forum. I figured others may do the same so while changing my plugs I took a few pics to go with the posts here.

I thought it might prove useful to those who follow.

http://www.diablo944.co.uk/zx7rplugs.htm

i would highly recommend getting one of these from Sears. it'll make the job easier.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft