Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

So Many Choices...So Little Time!

I spent a good chunk of this morning online visiting bike parts suppliers for an upcoming project I have planned for this spring. This will be my first venture into bike wrenching at a level deeper than the usual maintainence work Ive done over the years like the obligatory oil/fluid changes, exhaust system swap outs, etc. Nothing major. But Ive decided to finally do some things more involved. My bike is a '97 (ZX900R) which I bought new in '98 as a left over. It has only 16K on it (you know the drill...wife, house, kids, etc.) so the stuff Ill be working is only now needing replacement, so its a good time to learn! Please bear with me...Im listing what Im buying and the prices I encountered. Hopefully this thread will also serve to inform the other "wrenching handicapped" such as myself!

Deep breath now...

CCT kit...for several years, I've been getting this "loose marbles" sound in the upper right area of my engine at cold starts, right where the CCT is located. It goes away after a while, but its not always been there, so its a concern.
    At Bikebandit.com I found the following:
    CCT (OEM) parts...8 parts in all that I think I'll need: $167.65. Im favoring OEM parts for this CCT work.
    Power Max battery: $61.00.
    Oil pan gasket and O-ring: (OEM) $16.35
    valve cover gasket: (OEM) $30.62
    NGK spark plugs:$9.00 each. Ouch.
    Rear chain sprocket: (OEM) $80.42.
    Front sprocket: (OEM) $38.64. Washer and collar: $10.97.
    Now get this: Bikebandit wants $450.00 for an OEM final drive chain!! Fuck that!
    Denniskirk.com sells a DID Gold "superbike" model (530-110) for $215.99. Much better!
    Air filter element: (OEM) $26.04.
    Except for a few other inexpensive odds and ends, that about covers it. My dilemma is that there's a huge jungle of online sites, manufacturerers, prices, quality, etc., that I could literally spend days just wading thru it all to find good (fair?) deals on the stuff Ive listed, and still not know if Ive made the right choices. Soooooo.....Im asking you folks for ANY and all advice, input, opinions, suggestions, etc. of sites to visit and which ones to trust. It would be greatly appreciated. I'd hope to return the favor(s) some day. Most of all, kudo's to Rye, as he has agreed to "tutor" me in this, with me doing the work so I can learn from someone far more experienced than I. He's a great guy for offering his services and know-how. Very cool. So, there it is. Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

yes

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Find a local shop and explain to them what your doing. I'll tell you this... the place I buy most parts almost always matches online pricing or better. Come to think of it, I've never had him not match something. You speak of a D.I.D chain for $215???? No way. I know pricing varies by chain size, grade, etc... but I just picked up a D.I.D 520 ERV3 for less than I can find it online and that's before shipping. After all this, if your interested in entertaining the idea of using this guy I'll gladly fork over his contact info.

talk to peter kates
    i bought a bunch of stuff from him this winter because it was fast, the price was wright there with online stuff, and helps local economy

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

I stayed at a Holiday Inn express last night.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by rmbbikes View Post
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn express last night.

KB

Anything exciting happen?