Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Clutch basket wear - how much is too much?

Clutch basket wear - how much is too much?

I've been having problems with my Rekluse EXP 3.0 Z-StartPro. I called Rekluse and they've been very helpful so far, and they recommended opening the clutch up and taking a look.

Per their documentation, they say that basket wear is a problem. But how much is too much? This is what I see on the edges of what I assume is the OEM basket:

Clutch basket wear - how much is too much?-image1-jpg

Am I worried about nothing? The options for a replacement basket seem to include OEM KTM, Hinson, Pro-X, Wiseco, Barnett, Moose and Rekluse.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by number9; 06-28-16 at 04:03 PM.
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Re: Clutch basket wear - how much is too much?

Yup, that's enough wear to cause engagement problems. Basically, if you can feel the depressions like that... One cheapskate trick is to file them flat to squeeze some more miles out of it.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Yup, that's enough wear to cause engagement problems. Basically, if you can feel the depressions like that... One cheapskate trick is to file them flat to squeeze some more miles out of it.
    I've seen threads about guys filing them down on ktmtalk, but for $150-200 I'd just replace it. Are any of those billet baskets better than the others? Pro-X seem to be the cheapest, and Rekluse the most expensive.

Edit: I don't even need to use my fingernail to catch the wear on the basket, I can feel it with my fingertip. All the friction plates measure within spec (2.7mm thick) and the steels look fine. I'll get some glass tomorrow to make sure everything is flat.

If I put everything back together and ride it like it is for a day (with fresh oil!), can I do any real damage?

Last edited by number9; 06-28-16 at 04:52 PM.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    If I put everything back together and ride it like it is for a day (with fresh oil!), can I do any real damage?
    Not likely more so just have to deal with the annoying lack of the clutch disengaging when you want it to or possibly slipping when you don't want it to. Don't get me wrong, if it is slipping due to the worn basket and you keep hammering it to get moving you will wear out your clutch plates steels more than normal but if you're just going out for an afternoon fun ride and not riding at Southwick or anything like that you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Not likely more so just have to deal with the annoying lack of the clutch disengaging when you want it to or possibly slipping when you don't want it to. Don't get me wrong, if it is slipping due to the worn basket and you keep hammering it to get moving you will wear out your clutch plates steels more than normal but if you're just going out for an afternoon fun ride and not riding at Southwick or anything like that you should be fine.
    I've got half a day off on Thursday so I'd love to go back to Crow Hill. But, I'm slow, and pretty easy on the clutch...

Lifer

File it, put it back together, ride it until the new basket comes in and you get a chance to pull it apart again.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I've seen threads about guys filing them down on ktmtalk, but for $150-200 I'd just replace it. Are any of those billet baskets better than the others? Pro-X seem to be the cheapest, and Rekluse the most expensive.
    In my experience the fancy ones still wear. Hard anodizing doesn't really make aluminum hard enough to resist steel. That said, the might last a little longer than stock. I would simply price shop for a recreational use bike.

Paul_E_D

Is it Hinson that makes one with steel inserts at the wear points?

I know Barnett makes one, maybe Hinson does too. Never tried one but seems like that'd be a pretty slick solution for $250.

Off-Road Clutch Baskets

FWIW, Ive had good luck carefully filing the grooves out on two bikes in the past. I had a YZ that was SUPER grabby. That worked out fine for the short time I owned it. Then I did the same on my current KTM 200. It wasnt as bad to start with, but its held up great now over 130hrs of my abuse. Although Ive noticed it might be getting a little grabby lately, but not enough to force me to dig into anything yet.

Last edited by TripleTaco; 06-29-16 at 08:42 AM.
    '96 DR350SE
    '00 KTM 200exc

'07 Speed Triple - sold
    '98 YZ125 - sold

In my experience the fancy ones still wear. Hard anodizing doesn't really make aluminum hard enough to resist steel. That said, the might last a little longer than stock. I would simply price shop for a recreational use bike.
    Yeah, I think at the end of the season I'll get an MX bike as well. I started taking suggestions in the big dirty thread..

I should take the basket out to file it down, right? Or can I get away with using grease and maybe a shop towel to catch the shavings...

Aww fuck it, I'll take it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Is it Hinson that makes one with steel inserts at the wear points?
    I think so yeah, and they're replaceable.

Last edited by number9; 06-29-16 at 09:19 AM.

Lifer

I would file it, and see what effect it has on the Rekluse's operation. I know that Rekluse clutches can be finicky. On my KTM 4-stroke, they recommend replacing the rubber clutch dampers every 20 hours, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    I would file it, and see what effect it has on the Rekluse's operation. I know that Rekluse clutches can be finicky. On my KTM 4-stroke, they recommend replacing the rubber clutch dampers every 20 hours, or something like that.
    I got a small pane of glass from a local window company and started checking. Every friction plate was straight. Every steel plate was straight.. except the last one. It's warped enough that you can slide another steel underneath one corner of it.

Swap it to the outside, one position in if you want to ride for a day.

Paul_E_D

Or maybe just wait til you have a few new steels to ride.

Paul_E_D

Swap it to the outside, one position in if you want to ride for a day.
    Rekluse said, "You can't do any more damage by riding it as it is". I was going to ride yesterday but ended up having too much shit to do

I ordered new steels ($50), new frictions ($112), new wave springs (3 @ $5) and a new gasket ($20!). I'll probably file down the basket before I order a new one next week or the week after. They suspect the installed gap was too big, leading to too much heat and ultimately a warped steel. The crummy basket wouldn't have helped. The new steels pack comes with an alignment steel, which is thinner than the rest of the steels, so I should be able to get everything in spec.

Last edited by number9; 07-01-16 at 07:54 AM.