Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Clutch Pack Questions

Clutch Pack Questions

Hey y'all. Been forever since I posted here. It didn't feel right since I live on the left coast now but you guys know your shit so I figured I see if you could help me figure this out.

So here's what I'm doing, I have a 2014 FZ09 and I'm dropping an XSR 900 slipper clutch into it. I have a bunch of friction plates and steel plates that fit into the clutch basket but not all in the sequence in the manual. They are all known to fit into this clutch basket and are on "the list" but as I said, not the suggested sequence.

Question One: As long as I get the right pack height and right sequence of steel & friction plates, do you see an issue with me using what I have?

Question Two: I don't have the sequence in front of me so I don't remember if it was 10 friction plates and 12 steels but, if it calls for let's say that ratio do I have to use that many and adjust the height of the friction plates to get the proper pack height or do I just remove even amounts of each?

Which brings me to an easier question.

Question Three: Pack Height - Do I measure it after soaking the plates or while still dry?

I hope my questions make sense but I'm happy to be more specific to help you help me. Please let me know if your answers are educated or just spit-balling.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nixoid; 01-01-18 at 11:09 AM.

Hypertarded

Re: Clutch Pack Questions

Quote Originally Posted by nixoid View Post
    Hey y'all. Been forever since I posted here. It didn't feel right since I live on the left coast now
    Funny you should post now, I was at Twisted the other day and was wondering if you were still working there since as you said been forever since you posted here. Bet you're glad your out left now, deep freeze going here right now.

Sorry, got nothin on the clutch info. for ya....

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    Funny you should post now, I was at Twisted the other day and was wondering if you were still working there since as you said been forever since you posted here. Bet you're glad your out left now, deep freeze going here right now.

Sorry, got nothin on the clutch info. for ya....
    I certainly do not miss the cold. I just got off of my bike and it is 73 degrees. I was wearing a long-sleeved shirt and regretting it - even in my perf'd jacket...

Kev

Q1 - No
    Q2 - How would you otherwise address plate height on the basket?
    Q3 - I'd measure after oil soak.

Maybe these few links help, maybe not...

XRS900 Slipper Clutch on FZ-09

XSR900 Slipper Clutch compatability - Page 2

Installing the XSR900 Slipper Clutch on my FZ-09

It's been a long time since I did a slipper clutch conversion... but I seem to recall that stack height and order/sequence were the main concern. You were expected to alter the number of plates in order to get it all to fit and function correctly

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

I've looked at a few of those threads. I'm looking to think outside of the box a little. To me it seems like if I get the height right I may be ok. I'm willing to take a few chances. The worst that happens (I think) is it isn't quite right and I make a few adjustments to steel thickness to dial it in. My goal here is to find someone who really gets this stuff to either tell me I'm nuts or give some solid suggestions.

Kev

How exactly are you "adjusting" the thickness of the steel plates? If we're talking about machining them, I'd advise against it. None of the information I've seen required such modifications. Further, everything I've read about this conversion suggests it's more or less a drop in. That said, if there's an issue with stack height, I'd want to get to the bottom of that before considering adjusting/ modifying/ manipulating anything.

I believe I've fulfilled both of your requirements of "someone who really gets this stuff to either tell me I'm nuts or give some solid suggestions". It seems you feel differently so I wish you the best of luck.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Not planning to machine the plates. There are different plates of varied thickness. Same with the fiber plates. I'm pretty confident that just doing that will get the job done.

Thanks for the input.

Nix