Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

STABIL

STABIL

I had been using stabil in the tank if I knew the bike would sit for 2 or 3 plus weeks at a time, or certainly for longer. Mainly a concern during the season for my track bike.

Last week I was told by a mechanic (at a reputable duc shop) that Stabil is no longer needed given the Oxygen changes in the gas over the last number of years (not sure of the details or chemistry). A parts guy at Brockton Cycle told me that the traditional STABIL was useless for the new ethanol gas and if i was going to use anything there was new fuel stabalizer out for ethanol based fuels.

Old habits die hard..... anyone have any thoughts on it?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Re: STABIL

First I've heard of it... I had some gas leftover from last season... put jut a little in the KTM this spring after a carb cleaning and it wouldn't idle for shite... dumped the old gas and gave it some fresh gas, no more problem for what little it's worth... Not exactly scientific, I know.

What you hear is basically true from what I've found out with regards to this subject.

I haven't come across and "ethanol-approved" fuel stabilizer, however.

Ethanol will affect most float needles and seats in particular so it's more important now than ever to drain the carbs during extended storage.

There ARE fuel stabilizers formulated for use with ethanol blended gas. Stabil is wunna them. I use it regardless of how long 'it' will be sitting. The only vehicles I don't use it with is the two vehicles we commute in. But I use it in gas cans, all three quads, the TL-R, the boat, the Corvette, lawn & landscaping equipment, EVERYTHING that I don't use on a regular, constant basis. I also run carb/injector cleaner through every coupla tanks or so. I've yet to have a problem, so I'm callin' BS...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    There ARE fuel stabilizers formulated for use with ethanol blended gas. Stabil is wunna them. I use it regardless of how long 'it' will be sitting. The only vehicles I don't use it with is the two vehicles we commute in. But I use it in gas cans, all three quads, the TL-R, the boat, the Corvette, lawn & landscaping equipment, EVERYTHING that I don't use on a regular, constant basis. I also run carb/injector cleaner through every coupla tanks or so. I've yet to have a problem, so I'm callin' BS...

What he said. Run it in everything that sits and havent noticed much difference in the shit gas we are getting now and after it's sat...shit when you get it, shit after it's sat for a while. Bike started right up with STABILized fuel this spring...

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    But I use it in gas cans, all three quads, the TL-R, the boat, the Corvette, lawn & landscaping equipment, EVERYTHING that I don't use on a regular, constant basis.
    that's a lot of toys you've got in that garage

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

I use stabil in my toys as well and have yet to have a problem.

Manny, I would ignore any thoughts of winter or summer gas formulations and just keep using the Stabil. Its a good product that can save your a55.

-Matt

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

I had been using Stabil for years but had recently had problems with long term storage, (winter storage). I started having issues getting the carburated bike stated and running smoothly. Had to pull the carbs and give them a complete cleaning to get everything working properly.

Last year I stored the bike using K100 and decided to really put it to the test. Figuring that I had to clean the carbs agian in the spring, so I didn't drain them. Started the bike for the first time last week without a problem and it runs fine with no signs of hesitaion like the previous years before a complete cleaning of the carbs. Will definately continue to use this product. It was actually recommended by a local bike dealer for carb'd bikes and equip.

As for fuel injected bikes the Stabil works fine because of the higher fuel pressure that is used.

My ride's

95 FZR 1000
    19xx DOUBLE "D"
    (sold) 02 CBR600 F4i (track bike)
    06 Chevy Supercharged Cobalt SS

ive never used it and have never had a problem in street/dirt bikes, mowers, blowers, 4wheelers and weed eaters.
    im callin BS and waste of $

2002 RC51
    -Aluminum undertail, custom GP Can and mid-pipe, Jardine 2-1 Header, PC3, EBC Wave Rotors (F&R), CRG's, Goodridge SS Lines, Greggs, Black w/ Flattening and some carbon goodies

USMC - Semper Fi
    POW/MIA - Not Forgotten

I use stabil in my girls pussy basher 2000 and it fires right up everytime. It usually sits for a good 2 or 3 months at a time. Usually fires right up 2 to 3 pulls each time.

Vroom vroom.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by loridin64 View Post
    ive never used it and have never had a problem in street/dirt bikes, mowers, blowers, 4wheelers and weed eaters.
    im callin BS and waste of $
    I spend the $8 or so a coupla times a year. I'll waste the $ for the piece of mind...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

My bike is carbed and it was a little rough starting up this spring. After 2 tanks of gas it was purring like a kitten. I don't wanna know what it would have done with no stabil in it. I don't think it's going to hurt you to use it. Or see if you can find a gas station that doesn't have ethanol in their gas. The pump has to have a sticker if their fuel has ethanol in it, I think. (but could be wrong there)

I use it in my bikes and old car for all the gas all the time. So far no fuel system problems ever.

More info from the web Stabil info

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418