Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Cordless screwdriver for motorcycle work?

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Cordless screwdriver for motorcycle work?

Anyone use a cordless driver with bits for working on their motorcycles? Seems like a great idea for removing fairing screws and some of the other low-torque stuff.

Someone introduced me to t-handles a few years ago. (I live under a rock.) And those changed my world. I now have a stash of hex key and hex drive t-handles.. But is a cordless driver faster, more convenient?

At the moment I'm specifically thinking of the 498 torx head bits holding the body and fuel tank on my KTM 200 XC-W. Maybe torx t-handles are a better investment?

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Re: Cordless screwdriver for motorcycle work?

I actually think the T handle spinners are faster. Pick up this guy with a 1/4" drive:
    Motion Pro - Spinner II T-Handles: BTO SPORTS

1 Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

iTrader Score
    3 (100%)

I use a small ryobi

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

I use a Dewalt 12V cordless screwdriver (Dewalt 12V MAX Cordless Screwdriver). For such a compact size, it packs a wallop. The clutch lets you turn the torque down to really low levels for delicate fasteners and when locked up, it will surprise you how powerful it is for its compact size. For the purposes of fairing screws, it's a little overkill but I've found that it has replaced my 18V XRP hammer drill in probably 95% of all applications around the house outside of drilling since it doesn't have a 3-jaw chuck. If mine were to break on me, I'd have another on order almost immediately. All the quality cordless tool manufacturers have similar tools in this footprint and they are all pretty good with only a few small differences separating them. I liked the overall size and single speed transmission of the Dewalt, plus its charger is compatible with Dewalt's 20V batteries that I already have.

A stock picture to give you and idea of how big it is:

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ZX-12R; 09-13-17 at 12:08 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar
    iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

My experience watching others use powered screwdrivers/drills to remove and install hardware in low torque applications has a couple of outcomes, some good, some bad.

Removal: Increases the speed in which things come apart. This is good and bad, less time taking it apart sometimes makes it so you can't remember where everything goes when reassembling. Sometimes can cause issues with stripping the head of the hardware if it is locked in there and the bit skips.

Installation: Increases the likelihood of cross threading the hardware chewing up either the receptacle, the hardware or both. Increases the likelihood of cracked parts when the speedy tool drives the hardware into the fragile part tighter than it should. Can cause issues with stripping the head of the hardware if the tool is kept spinning once the hardware has bottomed out and the bit is skipping.

Those things being said if the operator is conscientious and uses the tool correctly they can definitely save time over doing things by hand. Start hardware by hand to prevent cross threading. Use the tool's clutch when installing hardware and/or final torque with hand tool. Don't keep the trigger depressed if the bit skips. Etc.

T-handle spinners are the middle ground for speed and not wrecking things

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by tls25rs; 09-13-17 at 10:59 AM.
    LRRS NV #300

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar
    iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

I have had zero good luck w/ Ryobi. 3 dead LiOn batteries in the span of less than a year.

I just picked up some Milwaukee "Fuel" stuff.... an Impact and Drill (w/ hammer drill feature) as well as a 3/8" powered ratchet.

So far, these are among the best electrics I've come across. The Fuel line uses brush-less motors, AND they just put in a service center in Westwood, MA.

Also, the impact and drill had a special and came with 2 more batteries. Home Depot's where I got mine.

Two huge thumbs up, I just used the hammer drill on some masonry screws and after some serious work drilling had barely used much battery at all. I used the regular screw to blow out some holes in the wall to run wiring and that too sliced through stuff like butter. Quite impressed thusfar, the ratchet made quick work of disassembly on my recent car maintenance stuff too.

The best part about the ratchet is it has the same form factor, so if you have a spot you can get a regular ratchet on but can't quite turn it much, it's the bees knees.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by scottieducati; 09-13-17 at 11:00 AM.

CCS/LRRS #83
    Rental Bikes Available: RVF400, SV650 Superbike

iTrader Score

Definitely. Makes fairing removal kind of fun and 5x faster. I also am in the habit of using it for case cover bolts (with caution). I just have a nothing-special 18v hand drill w/ adjustable torque. Set the torque way down for installing case cover bolts, get them threaded by hand, snug them all in with power, then torque by hand.

Unless there are a dozen or so bolts involved, I just use hand tools. For the right job, the electric drill definitely saves some time.

0 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

iTrader Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Anyone use a cordless driver with bits for working on their motorcycles? Seems like a great idea for removing fairing screws and some of the other low-torque stuff.

Someone introduced me to t-handles a few years ago. (I live under a rock.) And those changed my world. I now have a stash of hex key and hex drive t-handles.. But is a cordless driver faster, more convenient?

At the moment I'm specifically thinking of the 498 torx head bits holding the body and fuel tank on my KTM 200 XC-W. Maybe torx t-handles are a better investment?
    Wanna know how I know you're an engineer???

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM LRRS 560x retired, PSTR 317 B-vet, NETRA enduro B-vet

The Nebulas: surf. Instrumental, gnarly surf.

iTrader Score

Great for zumming things apart IMO. I usually put pack with T handles or my fave little flex head 1/4" drive ratchet.

For me it depends on what it is and my mood. Lol

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

With the right adapters, you can just use a 1/2" impact gun.

2 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

I use this <$10 cordless screwdriver from Harbor Freight: 4.8 Volt 1/4 in. Cordless Screwdriver Kit

0 Not allowed!

Lifer
    iTrader Score

I do sometimes. Regular hand drill with a 3/8ths bit in the chuck. I've realized I should have bought a high power impact drill gun because for most things it's so much easier than getting the air tools out. Putting things back in, just thread them by hand first to start. Anything questionable don't use the gun on and/or turn the limiter down.

My Aprilia has I think 11 fasteners, maybe 12, just to get one side of the fairing off. The worst part is half use a different size hex.

0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

iTrader Score

2 Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

iTrader Score

I also got a small Milwaukee 2453-22 M12 Fuel 1/4 Hex impact driver. It has two fastening modes (torque settings), that provide variable power and speed. This is good for both precision work and heavy duty applications. I got it on Amazon and also this bit kit for it. Milwaukee 48-32-4002-MIL Shockwave Impact bit set and this Titan Tools 15223 Metric Nut Driver Set. It covers most of my requirements for quick disassembly. For assembly I use it but verify torque with a hand tool or torque wrench.

1 Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

Love this thing, its nice and compact

14.4 V 1/4" Drive MicroLithium Cordless Impact Wrench

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    1 (100%)

That looks like the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    ..Titan Tools 15223 Metric Nut Driver Set.
    Looks like Titan makes quality looking sets for most fastner types; hex drive, hex head, torx.. nice! Although I like the clutch on the Milwaukee tool chicken man linked..

Good stuff all. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Wanna know how I know you're an engineer???

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score

I have the hex impact driver too--it's stronger at disassembly--but the clutch is the shit for assembly.

I've also broken bits with the impact driver on really stuck bolts, and never hurt anything with my clutched driver.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by golden chicken; 09-14-17 at 11:40 AM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

iTrader Score

I like Ridgid tools and the life time service agreement once you register them.

0 Not allowed!

iTrader Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by imstuner View Post
    I like Ridgid tools and the life time service agreement once you register them.
    Does that cover the batteries?

0 Not allowed!
    '00 Honda VFR 800, '01 Subaru Outback, '03 Porsche 911, '05 KTM 300 EXC, '08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, '14 Honda CRF 250R

iTrader Score

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Does that cover the batteries?
    Sure do

You need to follow the LSA rules and it's pretty easy.

RIDGID Powertools :: About LSA

0 Not allowed!